Thank you, for taking the time to care

U

Unregistered

To the kind soul, at ye local nearby airport, that took the time to read the big damn N-number on the side of my plane, as I did my second touch and go, with three other planes in the pattern, and say on unicom, "Hey Eight Golf Tango, you aren't transmitting!" (which I received) I just want to say, "Thanks!"

I departed the area, sorted things out, got a good radio check, and headed home. Take that, NTSB!

I've been in the pattern with 3 other planes and could not figure out where they were not transmitting on 128.00:confused:

:mad2:

:redface:

No one is perfect.

To the kind soul, at ye local nearby airport, that took the time to read the big damn N-number on the side of my plane, as I did my second touch and go, with three other planes in the pattern, and say on unicom, "Hey Eight Golf Tango, you aren't transmitting!" (which I received) I just want to say, "Thanks!"

I departed the area, sorted things out, got a good radio check, and headed home. Take that, NTSB!

How could you be in the pattern, see 3 other planes, not hear them, and not realize something was wrong? :confused:

We should learn something with every flight. ;)

Interesting, I think I get it. Some very slick people set up this board and in the early days I remember discussion on how searchable and what level down and secured areas... all beyond me, and this board is now always on the first page of any search aviation related.:D I'm guessing the decission was to be searchable. He had an incident where he wanted to thank an unidentified aviator for letting him know that he was not transmitting his position calls to the traffic. He does a quick Google search entering 'pilot America contact' and loe and behold, Pilots of America board pops up as the first link. He is not a board user period, he uses a computer when he has to so he doesn't want to go through the process of registering. He does notice he can post in two forums without registering, the medical and the accident, well, this isn't medical and his NTSB comment indicates that he believed that had he continued, he was at risk of an accident. So he posted here in the blind on the off chance that the pilot who clued him in would read his words of thanks his conscience dictated he put out and try to deliver. Now his karma is cool and we'll likely never hear from him again unless he checks back sometime in the future to see of he got a "No Worries" back.

It's nice to see people who get it every now and then, it gives me a glimmer of hope for mankind though I fear it's not enough.

Heh, an instructor I used to fly with and I would be doing touch and goes at a nearby airport and would intentionally be quiet since the other school (now closed) had their students cluttering up the radio so badly. Next thing you'd know we'd have the airport all to ourselves...

How could you be in the pattern, see 3 other planes, not hear them, and not realize something was wrong? :confused:

We should learn something with every flight. ;)

He heard them, they didn't hear him. He may have had the audio panel listening on the second radio while monitoring 121.5 on the other. Sounded pretty low time considering his actions for being unheard in a stable pattern.

You left a perfectly working three airplane pattern because your PTT wasn't working? (?????)

It was a nice thing to do, and it is embarassing when you think youre transmitting but arent... but remember: with no tower, a radio is not required, and in the end, a radio is not what keeps you safe. It helps, but if youre not looking and thinking? Not so much.

You left a perfectly working three airplane pattern because your PTT wasn't working? (?????)

I'm thinking I probably would too - not because I'm worried about the pattern necessarily (as long as I can hear them and know where they are and it's non-towered) but to give me a relatively quiet piece of airspace to troubleshoot the problem.

I'm thinking I probably would too - not because I'm worried about the pattern necessarily (as long as I can hear them and know where they are and it's non-towered) but to give me a relatively quiet piece of airspace to troubleshoot the problem.

Yep, it's never wrong to buy yourself some clear airspace if you have to figure out a problem.

What is "not transmitting"? Does that mean there was no radio signal emitted? Or does that mean there was a carrier but no voice? I suspect the former but I've heard people say that a carrier with no voice was "not transmitting". If the former, the 'kind soul" was playing pattern police. If the latter, the "kind soul" may have thought he was doing a favor.
About a month ago, I was in this very situation where I was announcing departure and an aircraft came back with the news that they heard a carrier but no voice. I delayed my departure until I could resolve the phone jack issue.

From the tone of the post, I'd guess he was going NORDO because he didn't give a rat's ***, and one of the other pilots presumed something was broken and told him about it.

No, a radio is not required by regulation. Neither is looking both ways when you cross the street.

From the tone of the post, I'd guess he was going NORDO because he didn't give a rat's ***, and one of the other pilots presumed something was broken and told him about it.

No, a radio is not required by regulation. Neither is looking both ways when you cross the street.

I think you read that entirely inverse to intention.

Keith and I saw a balloon last night when flying. We shot it down.

From the tone of your post, I'd guess you equate NORDO with not giving a rat's ***. It's unfair, and I can prove it...

Would you feel safe crossing the street using only a radio? It might be useful to have radio comms with motorists passing by, but I'd bet you would not step off the curb until you make visual contact.

Dealing with airport traffic is a lot more complicated than crossing the street, so a heads-up from unseen traffic is a lot more useful in that situation, but it still comes down to looking, in directions relevant to your position and intended path. And of course, if the radio work is inaccurate or nonsensical, comms become a liability, not an asset.

There's a reason the FAA allows NORDOs- they know that a radio is secondary in maintaining separation under VFR. Nice to have one (assuming it's being used properly), but not even half as useful as looking around, and thinking about what you see (or don't see).

Not accusing the OP of anything, but I see and hear a lot of radio-dependent pattern flying and just plain crappy radio work, and it worries me, so I like to bring it up from time to time. I have had three of what I would call actual close calls (as in "oh sh*t!") in my years of flying, and each time it was in the pattern or on the ground at tower-controlled airports. That's part 2 of my little mantra: even with controller oversight, under VFR your scan is what really counts, in the end.
Meanwhile, I have flown NORDO and with NORDOs many times without mishap, and not due to dumb luck... everybody was looking, and thinking.

I will use a radio when I have one, in the usual way, but I keep all transmissions short and sweet, speak up when I should (even if it's not at the "normal" time or place), keep quiet when I should (even if it means not calling a pattern leg) and definitely verify everything I hear visually, whenever possible. I stopped asking "anyone base or final?" prior to taking the active, and "ATITAPA" when approaching the pattern, a long time ago. The reason is that dependence on such transmissions eventually led me to some unpleasant surprises. Say them if you must, but looking is good enough, and more reliable.

Last edited:
It's notoriously difficult to judge unadorned sarcasm on the web. Maybe you're right, but the post doesn't make a lot of sense if you are.

Consider the guy is not used to having to communicate inflection of voice in a written manner. I grant that it takes a moment to figure it out, and that I may have it backwards as well, but having dealt with a lot of ESL people, I think I worked it out the right way.

Yep, it's never wrong to buy yourself some clear airspace if you have to figure out a problem.

:yesnod:

But for all our sakes, stay calm, pick a smart place to exit, think about where you're going to go, and look before you turn out of the pattern. :wink2:

:yesnod:

But for all our sakes, stay calm, pick a smart place to exit, think about where you're going to go, and look before you turn out of the pattern. :wink2:

Now where's the fun in that? :wink2:

In the few times that I've actually chosen to leave a full pattern, I've done it in the downwind leg by going full power and climbing out straight, then turning away from the field where the base leg would normally be started, well above pattern altitude.

I've been in the pattern with 3 other planes and could not figure out where they were not transmitting on 128.00:confused:
I've been in the pattern with 10 other planes, and didn't give a rat's behind what frequency they were on, 'cause I was NORDO....

Ron Wanttaja

From the tone of your post, I'd guess you equate NORDO with not giving a rat's ***. It's unfair, and I can prove it...

Some aircraft don't have electrical systems, and that's fine. Sometimes problems happen; that's also fine. That may have been what happened here (broken transmitter, mic, or PTT, or else a misconfigured audio panel).

A perfectly good radio being monitored and not otherwise used is not giving a rats ***, even if people are "supposed" to be able to operate like that.

Some aircraft don't have electrical systems, and that's fine. Sometimes problems happen; that's also fine. That may have been what happened here (broken transmitter, mic, or PTT, or else a misconfigured audio panel).

A perfectly good radio being monitored and not otherwise used is not giving a rats ***, even if people are "supposed" to be able to operate like that.

I always assume there are other people in that vicinity, especially a pattern, and conduct myself accordingly. If the other person chose to not make a call when there was a dangerous situation that is not acceptable, but if a person did not make a call when not required to and no danger was involved, there may be any number of reason for that. Sometimes I get busy, get distracted, etc.

Just because someone doesn't do what we wish or expect doesn't make that person bad.

I love how on PoA even a "Thank You" thread can turn into a cat fight on the first page of the thread.

I love how on PoA even a "Thank You" thread can turn into a cat fight on the first page of the thread.

That was my thought exactly. Can you believe that Henning was just about the only one willing to give him the benefit of the doubt?" There might be hope for the Capn yet.

That was my thought exactly. Can you believe that Henning was just about the only one willing to give him the benefit of the doubt?" There might be hope for the Capn yet.

I don't stop with my first thought on anything is why, I look at the other possibilities I can think of and try to find the one that fits Occams razor best that can be worked forward and backward. That has typically proven to find me the most accurate answer to anything.

I've been in the pattern with 10 other planes, and didn't give a rat's behind what frequency they were on, 'cause I was NORDO....

Ron Wanttaja

Some of us are Geographically Challenged and don't have that luxury. :sad:

(c) When operating an aircraft in the VFR traffic pattern at an airport within the DC SFRA (but not within the DC FRZ) that does not have an airport traffic control tower, a pilot must—
(1) File a DC SFRA flight plan for traffic pattern work;
(2) Communicate traffic pattern position via the published Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF);
(3) Monitor VHF frequency 121.5 or UHF frequency 243.0, if the aircraft is suitably equipped;
(4) Obtain and transmit the Air Traffic Control-assigned discrete transponder code; and
(5) When exiting the VFR traffic pattern, comply with paragraphs (a)(1) through (a)(7) of this section.

Ron Wanttaja

Stupid is as stupid does.

Being legal and being stupid are two different things.

Last edited:
Well, the other ten planes probably didn't care either... ...who'd notice running into a Fly Baby? ;)

Stupid is as stupid does.

Being legal and being stupid are two different things.

The devil is in the detail to determine that though, it is rarely obvious the distinguishing border.

When one considers that radio traffic often introduces more confusion a loss of attention to see and avoid and that it should be considered supplementary information rather than primary. The argument can be made that the NORDO pilot on a VFR day who has his entire focus on the task of see and avoid which is primary; is the safer pilot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back