Thank You, Discover Card

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Only venturing 2.5 miles from home, today, to go to the general store I returned and checked my e-mail:

"Dear JERRY CRUTE:

This is not a promotional e-mail. Please call us immediately at 1-800-347-3723 regarding recent activity on your Discover Card Account ending in ****. We're available 24/7 to take your call.

Please disregard this e-mail if you've already spoken to us since the date this e-mail was sent.

We appreciate your prompt attention to this matter.

Thank you
Discover Card Fraud Prevention Security Department"

And so I called, was put through the litany of personal ID and was asked,"Did you today make a purchase at Wal-Mart?" "Negative."

"Did you make a purchase at Citgo?" "Affirmative, last night."

She proceeded to tell me that someone "Swiped your card at Wal-Mart, and our security software flagged a possible fraudulent transaction."

It seems that only 8 or 10 hours after the Citgo transaction(in Maine) my card bought $150 of something several thousand miles away, and that triggered Discover Card to call that store and ask to "speak to Mr. Crute for additional identification." It was a counterfeit card which "swiped" OK but rang some bells as per above. I asked if I had, perhaps, been a victim of the recent 4.2 million violated cards in the Hannaford Supermarkets security fiasco. She said, "No, but our department is very aware of the Hannaford case." "Phew! It could have been horribly worse than $150.

They immediately closed my account,will have a new card # delivered by DHL on Monday. Oddly enough, since the Hannaford case broke last week I've been online monitoring my cards, daily, to watch for any odd occurrences.
I strongly urge y'all to do the same; I hate thieves.

HR

Last edited:
I've had a call like that from Discover, as well. A while back. They closed the account and sent new cards. They're very proactive that way.

How did you know the 1-800 number was not a scam where they are harvesting your personal info Harley?
Scary all around.
Thieves got 1300 from my Visa provider last year soon after a trip to Boise, they were swiping a card in LA (I still had possession of my card so they made a new one somehow)

Worser.

I took Privacy Manager off of my phone. Thsi week I've gotten THREE calls from THREE different phone numbers in....wait for it....Florida with the recorded message, "This is an important notice about your credit card account. There's nothing wrong but you need to call....."

It's sooo funny that each firm behind this important message doesn't seem to know WHICH credit card account they're calling about.

I have no idea what the scam is. Credit insurance? Phishing?

I've been wishing cancer and sudden death on the caller and their family. I hope somebody human listens. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Had they been trying to call? A year ago January, there was fraud on my Discover Card but it was a phone call, no email. I never did figure out where the number was obtained. I used it at least a couple times a day buying fuel as a courier so there were many possibilities.

How did you know the 1-800 number was not a scam where they are harvesting your personal info Harley?
Scary all around.
Thieves got 1300 from my Visa provider last year soon after a trip to Boise, they were swiping a card in LA (I still had possession of my card so they made a new one somehow)

With your thought in mind I was very careful in questioning them before I gave any information. The lady gave me a confirmation code # of the consult; and I tried to get into the online account after our discussion. Entry was already blocked. Then I called the same #, talked to another agent who confirmed that the account had been closed because of fraudulent activity, and that a new account was being opened. Yeah; scary.

HR

I don't think they tried to call because while I was away from home my cell phone was in my pocket.

HR

Worser.

I took Privacy Manager off of my phone. Thsi week I've gotten THREE calls from THREE different phone numbers in....wait for it....Florida with the recorded message, "This is an important notice about your credit card account. There's nothing wrong but you need to call....."

It's sooo funny that each firm behind this important message doesn't seem to know WHICH credit card account they're calling about.

I've been wishing cancer and sudden death on the caller and their family. I hope somebody human listens. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sounds like that debt collector never really went away.

Sounds like that debt collector never really went away.

Nope. I got two calls from them in the last few weeks, too. Those I like. I intend to collect $10,000 from them.

When I bought a couple big ticket items on my Discover card I went to use it and it wouldn't work the next day or so at a restaurant. There was a message on my voice mail saying I needed to call. So I called up, "Let me guess, you think my card was stolen, because I just 7 grand on it in 3 days?" 30 seconds later is was reopened for use. I like Discover card, a bonus is I also get 5% rebate on all gas purchases - and that's not a time limited promotion either.

The only number I will ever call for a CC is the number on the back of my card. All credit card companies can accept fraud calls on that number. If I ever get an email asking me to call a different number, I call the number on the back of my card and explain what happened, and ask to be transferred. All of my CC issuers have told me this is a perfectly OK thing to do.

I have gotten more than one email asking me to call that ended up being attempted fraud.

Worser.

Actually, it's likely legit - they're selling some sort of credit/ID Theft defense program... they do it through card issuers.

So it's like, a legitimate scam. :rolleyes:

I go this email today:

We were notified by MasterCard®, Visa® or American Express® that your USAA credit card information such as the account holder's name, account number and expiration date may have been compromised. No other personal data was involved, and USAA systems were not compromised.

To reduce the risk of unauthorized transactions, we're sending you a new credit card with a new account number and expiration date. You should receive it in seven to 10 days.

I confirmed the message on their website. Of course, I 'll be at Sun 'n Fun when the new card arrives...:rolleyes:

I haven't seen any unauthorized charges, but I'm sure the bad guys aren't going to quit any time soon...

I go this email today:

We were notified by MasterCard®, Visa® or American Express® that your USAA credit card information such as the account holder's name, account number and expiration date may have been compromised. No other personal data was involved, and USAA systems were not compromised.

To reduce the risk of unauthorized transactions, we're sending you a new credit card with a new account number and expiration date. You should receive it in seven to 10 days.

I confirmed the message on their website. Of course, I 'll be at Sun 'n Fun when the new card arrives...:rolleyes:

I haven't seen any unauthorized charges, but I'm sure the bad guys aren't going to quit any time soon...

I discovered the same even before they sent the letter - I was wondering where a new account that showed up online came from.

I'm still moving things that I have auto-billed to the card - including something that was moved three days before they did this (had been on BoA until they screwed my with a late-mailed statement and too-early due date.... never again, BoA)

I go this email today:

I discovered the same even before they sent the letter - I was wondering where a new account that showed up online came from.

I'm still moving things that I have auto-billed to the card - including something that was moved three days before they did this (had been on BoA until they screwed my with a late-mailed statement and too-early due date.... never again, BoA)
Funny. I had Discover send me a new card with no explanation.

I called to activate it and asked why I was sent a new card years before the old one expired.

"No reason. We do that occasionally."

Right.

And I'm about to be totally BOA-less. :p ...unless they buy my bank again.

Funny. I had Discover send me a new card with no explanation.

I called to activate it and asked why I was sent a new card years before the old one expired.

"No reason. We do that occasionally."

I had that happen to me once with Citibank... The problem was, I was at the South Pole Station at the time and it was about two months until the station closes (for the winter, no mail of any sort in or out). When an internet purchase failed, I called up and they told me I'd been "upgraded" to a new card. Enraged, I asked them to re-activate the old card immediately (since it was the only card I had at the South Pole, and I was depending on it for all purchases for the next 12 months!) and they said they couldn't re-activate a card once it's cancelled. Can you tell me the new card number so I can make purchases with the thing from the South Pole? No, we can't give card numbers over the phone, you need the physical card. I gave them my address at South Pole Station and told them to send it as priority as mail can be, and if it didn't arrive by February 15th there would be no planes bringing any mail until October and I'd be screwed. The poor operator got quite a chewing out. On average, it takes about 8 weeks for something to be delivered to Pole. My new card arrived in about 5 weeks, thankfully. If it hadn't arrived, I don't know what I would have done. I got home over a year later...

--Kath

Golly! I reckon special people have special problems! I'm envious... except for that "whole year" part - I ain't special enough to hang with that, I don't believe. Plus I'm enough of a nut that the rest of 'em would probably kill me before it was all over! :eek:

Cool job, though! :)

I had that happen to me once with Citibank... The problem was, I was at the South Pole Station at the time and it was about two months until the station closes (for the winter, no mail of any sort in or out). When an internet purchase failed, I called up and they told me I'd been "upgraded" to a new card. Enraged, I asked them to re-activate the old card immediately (since it was the only card I had at the South Pole, and I was depending on it for all purchases for the next 12 months!) and they said they couldn't re-activate a card once it's cancelled. Can you tell me the new card number so I can make purchases with the thing from the South Pole? No, we can't give card numbers over the phone, you need the physical card. I gave them my address at South Pole Station and told them to send it as priority as mail can be, and if it didn't arrive by February 15th there would be no planes bringing any mail until October and I'd be screwed. The poor operator got quite a chewing out. On average, it takes about 8 weeks for something to be delivered to Pole. My new card arrived in about 5 weeks, thankfully. If it hadn't arrived, I don't know what I would have done. I got home over a year later...

--Kath
Oh, I so want to hear more about your adventures when we're there in August! :yes:

--Kath
You gotta understand bureaucratic homogeneous group think. It was your fault a) for being not being home and b) not being somewhere within reach of FedEx. I run into that at work at the bigcorp once in a while.

"You will contact your floor captain..."
Ummm...I work at home.
"Check in with the receiving desk."
Ummm...I work at home
"View the town hall meeting on your desktop PC."
Ummmm....you disable audio and video over VPN links.

Etc.

Chase is also pretty good about the fraud protection - my girlfriend got a call from them one day saying that someone tried to use her card in Israel. She was in Texas at the time. Three days later she had a new card.

Back