Thank Heaven For Little Girls

I know, but, as someone else said, immediacy is important here. I don't check my mail that often, and it appears this was post marked last Friday, so I did want to "hurry" my reply.

I can PM people my work mailing address, but I live alone and don't want to post or PM my apartment address. And I certainly won't share the little girl's address.

If anyone wants me to PM them my address, let me know, and then I will.

Certainly understandable, and smart. ;)

I just thought this would be a good teaching moment for the little girl. She could match up all the states with the return addresses.

All in all, it is an admirable job the parents did to show her good citizenship. Thanks for sharing.

Wow thats cute! I second the ideas of offering an airplane ride. I'm sure you'll keep us posted if that actually happens! Teach kids what doing a good deed is all about.

Isn't that the same license you showed us in the hangar last week after telling us how you lost it once? In fact, you took it out of your purse, showed us, and then put it in your back pocket. :rofl:

Isn't that the same license you showed us in the hangar last week after telling us how you lost it once? In fact, you took it out of your purse, showed us, and then put it in your back pocket. :rofl:

NO, I have two (read above). I know, it sounds odd, but the FAA sent me two. I went about a week without either one (looking for the second one). That's when I posted asking how to get a temporary / new one . . . then I found the "second" one (the one I showed you which I spot laminated at Kinko's) and now the "first" one has been mailed back to me (the one I "old school" laminated).... by a little girl.

What's funny is I never lost it from my back pocket. It was when I transferred it - from my back pocket - into my slanted jacket pocket - and walked the dogs that it slid out. Back pockets are safe, slippery jacket pockets are not.

I'm all for offering them a ride. You never know. It could be the start of something good. Plus, it may be a way to reenforce good deeds beget good deeds.
The only valid pilot certificate is the "youngest"; the latest date of issue. And you can order a replacement online at the FAA Airmen's certification. I was bummed out when I got my replacement and found the date of issue changed. They should keep the original date and add the replacement date but that would probably cost them $.03 extra.

While bad things can happen to the best of people, I've found that most people are good and will do the right thing. I remember back in San Diego I rode a motor cycle every day. I had a briefcase that I would bungee cord to the rack on the back of my motor cycle. One day I got home and it was not there. Had no idea where I lost it, tried to retrace my steps but no joy. I gave it up as a lost cause. 3 days later I came home and there, stuck between the front door screen and the inside door was my briefcase. Someone found it, had to break the lock to get in to it and found some identifying papers, brought it to my house and left it there. No note or way to identify the good sam. Maybe I'll get burnt but I prefer to thing that people are good and to give them every chance to be good.

Funny... the exact same thing happened to a cat I owned back in Ohio...except they didn't have to break into it to find my address. That was on the collar :D

A very thoughtful youngster!! Definitely send him/her some sort of thank you and offer a ride! Something tells me that Shelby's interest was piqued by finding a real "pilot's license", and that the offer would be appreciated. If the parents say no- oh well. At least you offered. And when Shelby's old enough to decide for him/herself, that interest might still be there, thanks to you.

Funny... the exact same thing happened to a cat I owned back in Ohio...except they didn't have to break into it to find my address. That was on the collar :D

Wow! I bet that cat freaked out being taped to a letter and stuffed on the mail!!! :)

For some reason I love the use of the words "It is very important" in the letter, it just sort of drives home the thought behind the action.

How do we know Shelby is a girl? The only ones I know are male, I do faintly recall a female Shelby from my childhood though.

I was thinking the same thing. Just don't send a pink barbie doll or something. "I went out of my way to send that back to you and you insult me with this?!?" haha

I think the gift card idea was a good one. Also sending the story to the AOPA or maybe Young Eagles program.. they might come up with a fun reward...

Last edited:
I have decided it is a girl. Last night, I worked late. After work, I saw two young girls and one young boy (I'm very bad with guessing ages, but I'd say all between 9 - 11 years old) outside. I know each of them by name, they live around here and we sometimes see one another, and they play outside my window after school.

I was about to get into my car and drive home, when I thought, who better to ask than the generation the letter came from. So I approached the young boy and two girls, said hi, and asked "do you think the name Shelby is a boy or a girl?" Which of course got them to thinking, why is a grown-up asking us this, which means I had to tell them the whole story. The little girl in the ballet outfit and tutu said to me, "Do you have the letter with you?" and I said yes, and she informed me that girls' and boys' handwriting looks different.

All three children carefully read out loud and examined the letter. The handwriting was "neat" and therefore decided by the children to be a girl's handwriting.

The experts have voted!!!

Are you an EAA member, Kimberly? If so, a Young Eagles flight is a way-cool way to take a kid for a short airplane ride. (It doesn't cost anything except for EAA membership, and EAA sends you a packet of stuff to give kids (age 8-17, IIRC) - like a real logbook, lots of propaganda and information about flying, and especially good for older kids, a certificate for free ground school, which can be, upon successful passing of the Rec Pilot test, redeemed for a free hour of flight training.
Best of all are the awestruck reactions from the kids who see their world from the best vantage point of all, and get to 'fly the airplane all by themselves.' Worth every dime.

"Do you have the letter with you?" and I said yes, and she informed me that girls' and boys' handwriting looks different.

All three children carefully read out loud and examined the letter. The handwriting was "neat" and therefore decided by the children to be a girl's handwriting.

That was part of why I thought it was a girl. Also the way the phrase "It is very important" was used sounded more like something a girl would say.

Jeff

That was part of why I thought it was a girl. Also the way the phrase "It is very important" was used sounded more like something a girl would say.

Jeff

I think so too. A boy might just have his parents mail it for him - a girl would want to personalize it with a note etc.

I have decided it is a girl. Last night, I worked late. After work, I saw two young girls and one young boy (I'm very bad with guessing ages, but I'd say all between 9 - 11 years old) outside. I know each of them by name, they live around here and we sometimes see one another, and they play outside my window after school.

I was about to get into my car and drive home, when I thought, who better to ask than the generation the letter came from. So I approached the young boy and two girls, said hi, and asked "do you think the name Shelby is a boy or a girl?" Which of course got them to thinking, why is a grown-up asking us this, which means I had to tell them the whole story. The little girl in the ballet outfit and tutu said to me, "Do you have the letter with you?" and I said yes, and she informed me that girls' and boys' handwriting looks different.

The experts have voted!!!

I can see it now! Sesame Street CSI! :rofl:

:confused: They still have Sesame Street right? :dunno:

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Hoping to get to the Post Office today.

Finally had some time last night to put together a package of items. I printed out, in color, several photographs, and then cut and pasted them to paper so there were several that fit on the front and back of one piece of paper. I hand wrote under each one a caption. I drove to Safeway and got a gift certificate (the Safeway where the little girl found my cert has a smoothie place so my intention is for her to enjoy a smoothie). I then composed a hand-written thank you note, to her and her family, including my cell phone number and the offer of an airplane ride.

These are the photos I included in the package and the caption I wrote underneath each one:

6791643115_fa5a7f67a2_o.jpg

January 2012 Perfect Flight To Point Reyes – Sunset reflecting off my Cessna’s wings

6134637738_e2bd52a19e_z.jpg

Me in my trainer airplane – a 2-seater 1978 Cessna 152

6137326498_b29b71d971_z.jpg

I fly out of Petaluma Airport (O69) this is near the runway there

6134142937_6ee1a91bbd_z.jpg

My first flight as a private pilot (over downtown SF & Bay Bridge)

6941712439_18d1cf34c2_o.jpg

I have access to 4 rental airplanes now – this one is a 4-seater Cessna 172

Very cool - I'm sure she will be thrilled!

Last edited:
Finally got to the Post Office. It will go out tomorrow (Thursday) so they should have it most likely on Friday or Saturday. Out here a lot of mailboxes are away from the houses - so often people only check the mail a few times per week. I figure if I don't get a call or letter by the end of March they are not interested, but I made the "presentation" nicely enough that it is obvious I cared about the little girl and her good deeds and wanted to send her a nice big package just for her. Plus if she is young having $20 to run around and spend at the supermarket should be a hoot. Hopefully not all candy and soda.

Great!! Well done, you may inspired a future pilot!

I once received a request from a young girl for pictures of Mt Rushmore. The request came through a forum such as this, such as they existed in the early 1990s. So my daughter and I took a Cessna out and got some pictures we sent to her. We got home made cookies in mail shortly after that.

We lived in Rapid City SD at the time when my daughter was in the 5th grade.

Great!! Well done, you may inspired a future pilot!

I once received a request from a young girl for pictures of Mt Rushmore. The request came through a forum such as this, such as they existed in the early 1990s. So my daughter and I took a Cessna out and got some pictures we sent to her. We got home made cookies in mail shortly after that.

We lived in Rapid City SD at the time when my daughter was in the 5th grade.

OMG that is so cute. I don't even know if you can send cookies in the mail anymore. Yum.

Well done, Kimberly. I still love that picture of a perfectly coordinated turn over SF.

Well done, Kimberly. I still love that picture of a perfectly coordinated turn over SF.

Thanks. As Henning told me (the behind the scenes story is I was scared to post here on POA): "Those are ATP standards on the dials".

Truly a once in a lifetime shot of me - and - in this case - it was a reaction to ATC saying "traffic, twelve o'clock, not talking to us." Saw him at my 12 o'clock, and got the heck out of the way.... still unsure why anyone would fly the Bay Tour without flight following. Oh well.

Last Sunday I noticed that they had one controller (on 127.0, I think) who was doing nothing but providing advisories to Golden Gate Bridge sightseers.

Last edited:
Last Sunday I noticed that they had one controller (on 127.0, I think) who was doing nothing but providing advisories to Golden Gate Bridge sightseers.

How close are you to me? Yes they are always talking to us but I've never noticed a GGB only controller. Last one pretty much told me 8 planes at GGB and suggested I fly 2500 to stay out of their way.

Turns out good deeds still do exist in this day and age.

I lost my pilot certificate recently and wondered if someone found it whether or not they would send it back.

I did not expect THIS to happen. I will be using their return address to send "Shelby" a special gift as a thank you / reward.

Gave me a huge smile this morning when I looked in my mailbox.

Enjoy:

6790173272_467634bc60_z.jpg

Wow, just seeing this thread... that's awesome.

I've heard of folks setting up a temp paypal account for things like this - that way deposits can be made straight into it, rather than sending cash. Something think about.

I've heard of folks setting up a temp paypal account for things like this - that way deposits can be made straight into it, rather than sending cash. Something think about.

For fife bucks? I think putting a fife in an envelope would be more efficient, and would let the recipient avoid the PayPal fees (assuming that there are any fees on such a small transfer).

Rich

Back