Thank God for Ted (among other things)

Missa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AsGoodAsCake
I learned several things this weekend:
  • Don't let your BFR expire, you never know when you will really want to fly
  • Get an Instrument Rating for the same reason.
Reinforced more then learned:
  • We make our own good fortune
After all if I hadn't taken Ted for that ride around the pea patch he wouldn't be the hour and rating hungry pilot we all know and (well kinda) love. :rolleyes:

I got a call from my mom on Thursday, I was stunned when I finally understood through the hysterical sobbing that my 38 yr old sister (who is incredibly healthy) had a heart attack and was in the hospital. Other then that she was alive and breathing we didn't know more. I really could do nothing but pray from 300 miles away. I wanted to go out there, even thought I knew there was little I could do to help other then hug my mom and my nieces and nephews. However my BFR expired last month so my only way out was to drive 8hrs which was not appealing. I wandered over to Ted's cube and asked what he was doing this weekend. He had a significant to do list... :frown3: I asked him if he'd rather go to Columbus, and told him why. No, not for the weekend, but he would fly me out and back. :smile: He'd even take Friday morning off to fly me out there so I could have more time (I would have been useless at work on Friday anyway). The flight out was great but I wouldn't have made it on my own even if my BFR was current. There were low lying cloud along the route and I don't like VFR over the top since I don't have an IR. Thanks Ted.

A bit on my Sister, (sorry Doc's for the medical term butchering but this is how I understand it) She had a heart attack brought on by a vein dissection. the inner layer of the vein tore and made a little flap that acted like a dam and caused the blood to pool instead of feeding the heart muscle. This is very rare and deadly (about 70%), when we googled the actual medical term, it mostly brought up autopsy reports. However if you survive the initial attack chances are good you will live a normal life span. There is heart damage but the extent will not be known for a while. But she is ok and recovering.

Thanks Ted for the ride, it enabled me to spend more time with my Sister and Family.

and Thank God my Sister is doing ok.

Missa

Prayers for your sister, Missa.

And Ted: Good on ya'!

First I am glad to hear that your sister is doing ok and will make a recovery. That is the most important.

Second, good job Ted!!! Bravo!

Third Misa, even if you had your BFR letting Ted fly you would have been the smart thing to do. So be double happy he was there, it all worked out for the very best.

GA strikes again! Good job, Ted!

Hope your sis comes back 110%!

First I am glad to hear that your sister is doing ok and will make a recovery. That is the most important.

Second, good job Ted!!! Bravo!

Third Misa, even if you had your BFR letting Ted fly you would have been the smart thing to do. So be double happy he was there, it all worked out for the very best.
All I can do is echo all THREE points that Scott made! Glad your sister has a good prognosis!

I was able to fly a few days after my Dad passed only because it was not at all unexpected, AND I had a co-pilot. Remember I'M SAFE? The 'S' is Stress, which certainly includes a loved one with a serious or unknown illness.

So you were the pilot Ted dropped off. Good for him!

Hope your sister is doing well and makes a full recovery! :yes:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery by your sister.

And, echoing previous points - even if you were current and had an IR, you really didn't want to be flying yourself with the stress you were under. Great job, Ted, for helping out.

Yeah, I didn't want to state the reason for my flight seeing as it's not my place.

This was a great example of where GA shines. Williamsport to Ohio would not be a particularly fast trip by commercial flying, nor would you be able to do it on your schedule. It would also be expensive. Even by Archer, it was only 2.5-3 hours each way, a significant time savings (especially vs. an 8 hour drive). Furthermore, the airports we landed at were much closer to the destination than commercial would have been.

I was glad to help. One of the best things any of us can do with our ratings is help out others when we can.

Most importantly out of all of this, Missa was able to spend more time with her family, and her sister is still here. :yes:

Oh, and I managed to accomplish that long to-do list of mine. :)

Wishes for a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself, too.

Good for you, Ted.

Thumbs up to both. Further proof that anyone can die at any time of just about anything. Carpe Diem.

Great job Ted. Hope your sister recovers quickly Missa.

good work Ted. And best wishes to Missa and her family.

Ted, you are the freaking man!

Missa, godspeed to your sister!

Missa, I'm sorry to hear about your sister, but glad that she is doing so much better now.

I was glad to help. One of the best things any of us can do with our ratings is help out others when we can.
What a great thing for you to do Ted. :yes: You are a positive addition to our aviation community. :)

That must have been scary- all the more reason to seek an awesome(!) friend to give you a lift, rather than take off with that preying on your mind (remember the "E" in "IMSAFE"!). FR or no FR.
Your comment about the wx enroute backs that up... you'd have had a good reason to be tempted to do something stupid.

Being otherwise healthy, I'll bet your sister will be back in action in no time, especially with family support. Best wishes to her, you and the family... a good time to count your blessings. :yesnod:

So now that the approprate thank yous and good job have be issued... do I get to tell how he freaked me out on the way back into Williamsport???? :devil:

It was calm and smooth at atlitude but bumpy on the way down to the airport. I was trying to stay calm but it was all I could do to keep from grabbing the controls. I have a new appreciation for my mom's reaction being a passanger landing in bumpy air.

He did a good job and it was just my desire to be in control that was freaking me out. But I did get to witness Ted's rarely used go-around procedure. :yesnod:

Missa

Last edited:
So now that the approprate thank yous and good job have be issued... do I get to tell how he freaked me out on the way back into Williamsport???? :devil:

Let me think. Hmm... no. :D

It was calm and smooth at atlitude both ways but bumpy on the way down to the airport. I was trying to stay calm but it was all I could do to keep from grabbing the controls. I have a new appreciation for my mom's reaction being a passanger landing in bumpy air.

I already told you no! :nono:

He did a good job and it was just my desire to be in control that was freaking me out. But I did get to witness Ted's rarely used go-around procedure. :yesnod:

The go-around is a good procedure when you know the landing just isn't going to work! I'm used to doing tight patterns and straight-in landings at night (usually following an ILS). This was the time in a while I'd actually done a pattern for my night landing. Make the pattern too tight, and end up way too high on final. Oops. :redface:

I was still higher than I should've been the second time around, but low enough to still get in. Smoothly, even! :)

Just make sure you don't need to do a go-around when you have an engine failure. ;)

I should add that Missa also provides excellent in-flight meal services. I've not been on a flight with such generous food portions in a long time! Furthermore, the Missa in-flight food service contacts you prior to your flight to determine your meal preferences. ;)

To the general flight report: Both flights were generally good. Heading out, there was a broken cloud layer above Williamsport that we ended up climbing above (the ceilings and visibility ahead didn't look good), and so we flew out at 8500. We suffered headwinds some from that altitude, but it was mostly a crosswind, ensuring that I wasn't going to be seeing optimal ground speeds in either direction. The cloud layer went from broken to overcast back to broken and finally scattered at the destination, where I dropped her off and then flew back home, promptly climbing to 11,500 and sipped fuel home.

Going back for the pick-up was 4500 to stay below the cloud layer, which also meant bumps along he way. Certainly not the worst I've been in, but just enough to be annoying. Coming home, we went up to 11,500 again (I like that altitude), for a very smooth ride until descent, keeping us above the clouds.

The approach into Williamsport was interesting. We were arriving after dark, and were able to pick up the weather about 80 miles out (plus having the 496). Williamsport was reporting SCT038 BKN048, changing a bit later to SCT038 OVC048. Hmm. So, we started our descent sooner (50 miles out, allowing for a nice 500 fpm descent rate), and sure enough - there was a layer of clouds directly over the Williamsport airport, even though it was pretty much clear everywhere else. The TAF had predicted SCT060. Just goes to show the importance of checking these things.

The go-around is a good procedure when you know the landing just isn't going to work! I'm used to doing tight patterns and straight-in landings at night (usually following an ILS). This was the time in a while I'd actually done a pattern for my night landing. Make the pattern too tight, and end up way too high on final. Oops. :redface:

You forgot to mention that because of that mountian, it's a right handed pattern for 27 at IPT which makes it more difficult and flying the piper we lost the end identifiers under the wing. Added to that is the configuration of Willamsport with the two crossing runway right at the threshold of 27 and 30. This resulted in both of us having a hard time identifying the base turn point. First time Ted tried to do a base leg over the numbers. I tried to assist on the second time around and was still too close. But you greased it in the first 1/2 of the runway, so it's all good. :yesnod:

I should add that Missa also provides excellent in-flight meal services. I've not been on a flight with such generous food portions in a long time! Furthermore, the Missa in-flight food service contacts you prior to your flight to determine your meal preferences. ;).

Thank you. A nice inflight meal was the least I could do. Not only generous portions but also inflight entertainment, watching me open a bag of patato chips that had turned into an over inflated balloon at 11,500 and rememing this time to open the Dr. Pepper SLOWLY.

Missa

Wow, I missed this thread! First of all, Missa, I'm glad your sister is going to be okay. That had to have been scary for all of you!

Secondly, Ted, YOU DA MAN! Of course, we'll take any excuse to go flying, but as you say, this is the perfect use of GA.

You said you like flying at 11.5K... do you find you need oxygen at that altitude? I know it's below the mandated 12.5K, just curious what your personal experience is? I find I get headaches after landing when cruising at 9K for very long without O2; 11.5K would probably mess with me without being on Oxygen.

Missa and Ted,

Good people attract good friends who are nice to have around when family or other problems pop up. You two appear to be good examples. I am happy to see things worked out well. Adding my best wishes.

Rick

Missa: prayers and godspeed to your sister. I'm sure it meant a whole lot that you went out to see her. I'm at my parents this evening helping out as my mother recovers from hip surgery - I can tell just how much it means to be around. The effort you went to counts, a lot, even if they don't say so.

Ted: good on you. A very generous act on your part.

Missa- I repeat what the others said- hope she gets better!

Ted- another repeat- thanks!

Good to hear that your sister is doing well. It's good to have friends that come through in a pinch.

You said you like flying at 11.5K... do you find you need oxygen at that altitude? I know it's below the mandated 12.5K, just curious what your personal experience is? I find I get headaches after landing when cruising at 9K for very long without O2; 11.5K would probably mess with me without being on Oxygen.

Oxygen seems to be one of those things that is most subjective. In my case, it doesn't bother me. I've not spent any time above 12.5K (no O2), but I've spent plenty of time in the 10-12.5k range.

I like being up there for a few reasons, provided the winds are favorable. First off, there's less traffic up there. Most of the standard VFR traffic around here is under 5500. Second off, it's smoother. Missa can tell you on the flight back, once we got up to altitude I had the autopilot and the trim set, and I only made a few minor adjustments. Third, around here, most cloud tops are below 10,000. So, basically you're above the clouds in some of the nicest VFR around, and it's nice and smooth. It just makes for some nice flying all around. Also, your plane may vary, but a lot of times you don't end up losing a whole lot in terms of TAS, but your fuel burn does go down significantly.

Of course, depending on where the winds are you may not want to go up that high and be faced with headwinds, and so I usually don't for heading west, but if it doesn't make a difference, I'll go for it.

I got curious so I had a look...

For a last-minute booking, Williamsport to Columbus via commercial is 8.5 hours out and 5 hours back... and costs a minimum of $550. Plus those flight times don't include the inefficiencies on either end of getting to the airport early, checking bags, being limited in waht you can bring, etc.

In this situation, not only was GA much faster than commercial, but cheaper!

Ted & Missa,
I got this email from AOPA today. Your story would probably fit well!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]General aviation is facing its most serious challenge in its 100-year history. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Proposed user fees in the president's budget, growing urban pressures on GA airports, onerous security proposals, and a lack of commitment to fund FAA operations and airport improvements is what we're facing. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We can't stand by and let others define us. We must take action—and that begins with your story. Personal accounts of how GA makes a difference to you, your business, and your community, and how GA impacts jobs and the economy in your area, are critical to the new campaign we are launching.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] AOPA's success in Washington, D.C., has always been based on our committed and active members. We need your action now. Real stories from real pilots will make the difference in letting policy-makers in Washington, D.C., know what's at stake. We need you to join the fight by helping us tell GA's story. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The stakes are high. That's why we've developed an easy-to-use tool for you to upload your story—whether it's a written document or a video file. You also can send your story via e-mail to GAStories@aopa.org. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please send your story—make a difference today![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you have any questions, please contact AOPA at 800/USA-AOPA and, as always, thank you for what you do for general aviation.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sincerely,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
craig_signature.jpg

Craig Fuller
AOPA President
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]P.S. Policy-makers in Washington, D.C., need to know the important role GA plays in our communities and economy. Please share your story today.[/FONT]

I got curious so I had a look...

For a last-minute booking, Williamsport to Columbus via commercial is 8.5 hours out and 5 hours back... and costs a minimum of $550. Plus those flight times don't include the inefficiencies on either end of getting to the airport early, checking bags, being limited in waht you can bring, etc.

In this situation, not only was GA much faster than commercial, but cheaper!

Yea, I brought a lot of liquid on board... but I regreated it too. At least the Venti Latte on the way out.

Grant, I made a submission to that already (although my subject was not this trip). That might be a good start to a new thread to make sure that others on here are making their submissions.

Back