TFR near Montgomery Field KMYF

James Darren

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
James Darren
I've noticed there's a TFR which covers some of the Montgomery Field KMYF airspace.

When this is active during an event, does this mean the you can not land or take off at the airport?

Call FSS and ask 'em, or read the NOTAM. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Read the TFR...if it is a sports TFR typically you just need to squawk and talk, if it a VIP TFR there may be a few more hoops but TFR's are rarely impenetrable walls to GA pilots, just read the fine print.

I dont see any TFR around KMYF...

I'd have to read a copy of the Stadium TFR. Normally talking to tower and squawking is good.

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_3621.html

"THE RESTRICTIONS DESCRIBED ABOVE DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, LAW ENFORCEMENT, AND AIR AMBULANCE FLIGHT OPERATIONS."

Talking and squawking is good, but ATC has to be OK with you going in.

Just our Giants beating the Padres...like usual.

The Padres don't play at Quallcom.

Call MYF tower, they will generally tell you to squawk 0400 and to not overfly the stadium. No big deal.

Sports TFRs are almost pointless when they are within a Class C or D airspace. You have to be in contact with ATC to enter anyways, and ATC never denies you due to the TFR, if anything they just move the traffic pattern around. It's actually easier to deal with than the same TFR in E or G airspace.

Back