Texas Thunderstorms in November

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
For those of you familiar with the weather in Texas, I am wondering what is common there in November. How do you feel about parking on the ramp with a chance of thunderstorms in the forecast. Does one need to be concerned about possible damage from hail with a chance of thunderstorms in the forecast in early November? How about finding suitable temporary hangar space for transient aircraft at KEDC?

The ones they get in February are far more spectacular ! I don't think the hail risk ever really goes away.

The risk of a monster storm are relatively low in the fall, but they can happen. I wouldn't hesitate to park on the ramp in the fall.

Slim chance, but never zero there. We had thundersnow a little further west, last winter for example.

We just had a nasty one here in Long Island. I was coming back from upstate and heard planes diverting and getting holding instructions. Not good.

Considering this unusual warming trend we've seen in the south, it doesn't surprise me. 85 deg. at the tail end of October isn't normal for southeastern TN.

I'm not really concerned about above normal temperatures. I am thinking about a trip to Austin, TX this coming week. I see forecasts for low % chances of Thunderstorms. I'm just wondering what some longer term locals might expect while parked on the ramp. Just want to assess my damage risk... I understand there is risk of something anywhere and any time. I'm just more familiar with the West coast and Northwest weather...

This time of year, the risk of anything too severe is small. I'd have no concerns parking on the ramp. Of course, as noted, nothing is a certainty.

Agree with the rest, not much risk this time of year. We may get some heavy rain out of this system, but we won't be surprised if we get nothing. They have some covered tie-downs there, but not sure if any are open for transients.

DFW had a tornado last December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFW had a tornado last December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, yeah, but it's pretty rare for that to happen. I wouldn't have too much problem tying down outside in November in Tejas. There's occasionally a decent thunderstorm with small hail, but mostly just rain associated with passing cold fronts. There generally isn't enough warm air to provide the energy for big storms this time of year.

Not a big chance of severe storms but we could get a pop-up shower here and there. Unless there is a cold front coming from the north which would definitely lift all that nasty humidity and drop a few inches of rain while ripping airplane covers off at 50mph.
That said, Novembers tend to be pretty benign around here.
Transient parking at KEDC is plentiful, so is at KGTU.
Not sure about community hangar space at KEDC, I think they are full. But you can always call KEDC and ask for Jodie (manager) at 512-247-7678. Tell her I sent you. :)
You can also call the nice girls at GTU Jet (512-869-0900) and ask if they have space in their community hangar. I know they have plenty of tiedowns as well.

When are you coming down here? And why are you coming to our hellhole? (or as my friends in civilized parts of the world call it: the middle of a f***ing desert :) )
Wanna do a burger run while you're here?

Back