Texas Pilots Check In, Please!

How about a Texas PofA Fly-in?

• Yes! I am a Texas based pilot, and would love to attend!

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Yes! I am a non-Texas based pilot, but would still attend!

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • No! I can not attend a Texas PofA fly-in.

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Okay, so Ryan (from San Antonio) has questioned why we don't have a Pilots of America fly-in here in the Great State of Texas. I think that is a pregnant question: Why, indeed?

Therefore, I have volunteered to put together something down here in Port Aransas on Mustang Island. After all, this island was recently voted "Houston's #1 Weekend Getaway Destination" -- and we have all the ingredients required for a great fly-in!

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, however, I thought it might be good to gauge potential participation. So...Texas pilots -- sound off! Who all is here? And if this is something you might want to do, let's hear it!

Edit: Just added a short poll. Please vote!

Last edited:
If I know far enough in advance, I'd certainly try to make a Saturday.

Ryan

Ummm... me.

I'm in. But might need a ride since I'm still a renter.

Jay, is there a place to opt in for your email lists?

Any non-Facebook solution? Constant Contact perhaps?

Long before the carpet-baggers and ribbon-clerk hoteliers moved in, we "real" Texans tried several fly-ins with limited success. The obvious problem is that the state is too damn big, and should almost be divided into areas for stuff like this. By comparison, the distance from Denton to PA is more than 300 nm, approximtely the same distance as LA from SFO or Boston from Dulles.

Regional get-togethers seem to work well, we just completed the annual "splash-in" float fly at Cedar Mills in mid-October and had great attendance from a 150 mile radius. Past that, it was pretty slim.

I'd think you could draw pretty well from AUS and SAT, maybe some Houston and SE TX folks as well. A few die-hards from farther away might come to see what i's all about, and you might have a decent-size turnout.

Long before the carpet-baggers and ribbon-clerk hoteliers moved in, we "real" Texans tried several fly-ins with limited success. The obvious problem is that the state is too damn big, and should almost be divided into areas for stuff like this. By comparison, the distance from Denton to PA is more than 300 nm, approximtely the same distance as LA from SFO or Boston from Dulles.

Regional get-togethers seem to work well, we just completed the annual "splash-in" float fly at Cedar Mills in mid-October and had great attendance from a 150 mile radius. Past that, it was pretty slim.

I'd think you could draw pretty well from AUS and SAT, maybe some Houston and SE TX folks as well. A few die-hards from farther away might come to see what i's all about, and you might have a decent-size turnout.

In the olden days, where did the real Texans try to hold a fly-in?

In my experience, you need three things for a successful fly-in:

1. Weather (above all else)
2. A fun place to fly that has activities for spouses that go beyond just hanging out at the airport.
3. An enormous quantity of reasonably priced, ice-cold beer.

Adequate (but not too much!) notice is important, too -- but of all the fly-ins I have attended, a lack of 1 and 2 has killed most of the flops.

3 always seems to take care of itself. :lol:

Any non-Facebook solution? Constant Contact perhaps?

Isn't that a type of tea? :D

Um, no, not really. I've played with Twitter, and thought it was pretty lame. My daughter says Tumblr is the new Facebook, which was the new MySpace.

Dunno what Constant Contact is. Gonna Google it now.

So, we've got six of us interested in a fly-in in Port A. That's a good core to build around. How does December 2 - 3 work for y'all? That Saturday is the Christmas Boat Parade in harbor, something the wives and girlfriends would enjoy.

I think we can get the Parrotheads to meet each of you at the airport with a strawberry margarita and a skewer of freshly grilled shrimp...

Well, okay, maybe not -- but something like that could happen! :D

How's that weekend for y'all?

wooden-winged 'die hard' checking in from the far left border

So how long would a flight from there to here take, Dave?

By the way -- for those who may be wondering, our airport identifier is KRAS. Go here to plug in your airport, to see how long of a flight it will be: http://airnav.com/airport/KRAS

(The distance calculator is half-way down the page, on the right side.)

Last edited:
I checked yes, but it will have to fit my schedule. That's a pretty long flight in a 140 from the Red River in NE Texas. I'll do my best to make it.

Doc

359.5 miles for me.
Wish I could but other plans are in the way.
Doc, where are you located?

I checked yes, but only because Clark said in that other thread I could go with him from Colorado. And I think he was joking.

In the olden days, where did the real Texans try to hold a fly-in?

In my experience, you need three things for a successful fly-in:

1. Weather (above all else)
2. A fun place to fly that has activities for spouses that go beyond just hanging out at the airport.
3. An enormous quantity of reasonably priced, ice-cold beer.

Adequate (but not too much!) notice is important, too -- but of all the fly-ins I have attended, a lack of 1 and 2 has killed most of the flops.

3 always seems to take care of itself. :lol:

Number 3 at the 6Y9 fly-in for POA resembled a bottle of Crown more than a bottle of beer.....

We're at the farm in Durant, OK that weekend.

675nm for me. I'm in if the weekend works...right now it's open.

Last edited:
We're at the farm in Durant, OK that weekend.

Did not see that you put a date up. That is sooner than I thought and I might need to save up any extra money I have by staying here. I need to buy xmas presents for my family and there are a few out of town people that want to fly with me too.

Sorry, not sure if that will work after all.

Wish you'd made this poll where we could see the user names of who voted which way!

Wish you'd made this poll where we could see the user names of who voted which way!

Well, now that we've found a core of Texans who are interested, I will have to start a new poll for attendance. In that one, I'll make participants visible!

I've got some feelers out to see if we can get the local Parrotheads involved, as well as to see if we can line up some live entertainment, either at poolside or (if the weather gets chilly) in our hangar.

I think this could be a lot of fun!

Over 6 hours to KRAS for me, but I might make something like that... further away than Gastons, but a lot closer than most of the Midwest/East Coast stuff.

Much as I hate to say it, looking at my schedule, the Dec. 2-3 date is NOT good for me.

Ryan

Port A? Freakin' A! That's one of my favorite destinations.

I'll be there, Jay. I'm expecting a margarita and some shrimp, but a Shiner will do! Heck, I'll bring my own to be safe.

Last edited:
359.5 miles for me.
Wish I could but other plans are in the way.
Doc, where are you located?

I hangar at Jones Field, Bonham, F00 I haven't looked but I expect it to be a little more than 300 miles for me.

Doc

Gotta love that Foreflight! To XS45 from my home field is 358NM, put-putting along in Miss Piggy, that's over 4 hours discounting the wind. With today's wind it would be 6 hours and 26 minutes. In that kind of wind in a 140, you just climb out and hover.

Unless this is next Spring when I can take a day or two vacation, it might not work out for me.

Doc

OH! Well this makes a difference! Once I found that the destination is actually KRAS, that is only three hundred fifty ONE nautical miles. That makes all the difference.

You never know how things might work out, but unless it were next Spring, I don't think it would work for me. If I have enough time to plan ahead it might work out.

I really look forward to getting together with some of the POA members. I've met Andrew, Tango Whiskey and SCCutler, but there are many more in the North Texas area that I have yet to be able to connect with although we've tried. Of course, there are many more than that all over the US, but distance makes that even more difficult. Over time I'm sure more of us will have the pleasure of meeting in person.

Doc

We're two miles east of the big hangar at KDUA, on the NE corner of 78 and gravel road that leads to the water treatment plant. Red brick house with highly-visible red metal storage shed behind the carport. Wife's grand-dad raised peanuts and cotton on the place for 50 years. The plumbing business about a half-mile north on the same side of 78 is easy to spot from the air.

Where in the Durant area is your farm? I am across the river in Lamar County Texas. My uncle Ranches at Blue and a good friend of mine ranches at Kennific(sp?)

We're two miles east of the big hangar at KDUA, on the NE corner of 78 and gravel road that leads to the water treatment plant. Red brick house with highly-visible red metal storage shed behind the carport. Wife's grand-dad raised peanuts and cotton on the place for 50 years. The plumbing business about a half-mile north on the same side of 78 is easy to spot from the air.

Thanks Wayne,

I hope to get to the Avionics shop at KDUA soon. I will be looking for your place from the air.

I've driven right by there many times over the years.

I don't suppose you would want to do any instruction while you're in town? My instructor is injured and I don't need much more before checkride.

Doc

I'll be happy to help with the flying if you want. Haven't flown a 140 in a long time, however. What's left on your "to-do" list?
Thanks Wayne,

I hope to get to the Avionics shop at KDUA soon. I will be looking for your place from the air.

I've driven right by there many times over the years.

I don't suppose you would want to do any instruction while you're in town? My instructor is injured and I don't need much more before checkride.

Doc

OH! Well this makes a difference! Once I found that the destination is actually KRAS, that is only three hundred fifty ONE nautical miles. That makes all the difference.

You never know how things might work out, but unless it were next Spring, I don't think it would work for me. If I have enough time to plan ahead it might work out.

I really look forward to getting together with some of the POA members. I've met Andrew, Tango Whiskey and SCCutler, but there are many more in the North Texas area that I have yet to be able to connect with although we've tried. Of course, there are many more than that all over the US, but distance makes that even more difficult. Over time I'm sure more of us will have the pleasure of meeting in person.

Doc

I will one day meet you. For sure. I owe ya one. Big time.

Kimberly

Back