Texas area avionics shops

Arrow115

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
After playing with the GTN 650 at summit, I decided that my arrow needs one. So I am would like to install a GTN 650, Garmin cdi and PS Engineering audio panel. I have not had the pleasure of doing an avionics upgrade before so I don't really have a shop to do the work. So my question is, does anyone have any experience with a Texas area avionics shop that they would recommend? I am aware of the costs:yikes:, I just want to get this done right. I am willing to travel.

I got a chuckle out of the term "Texas Area" Thats a pretty big "Area" After you get the 650 please report back and give us a review!

Brazos Avionics at EFD fixed me up when I had an intermittent x-ponder. The owner is a very experienced tech and pilot. Two other shops had failed to find the problem so he came through where others failed. Very good work.

edit: found the invoice owner is James Miller 281-922-6686 - his office is next door to the FBO at EFD

Parker Woodruff had a a shop at KADS do his G500 upgrade about 3 years ago and he was very happy with their work. You might try to find him over at Mooney space and find out what shop that was.

And Wayne Bower might have some solid recommendations.

I'd give Dwayne Jones a call. I think he is based in your neck of the woods. I'm not sure he does this kind of work though.

Dwayne Jones
281-433-6077
jonesavionics@sbcglobal.net

If you're in The Woodlands, Avionics Unlimited at CXO is a shop we've used before. They installed our GTX327 on time, on budget, and within schedule. I was happy.

Then I asked them to do a WX-500 install. Planned it out about 3 months in advance, offered to give them a credit card to order parts ahead of time, they said there was no need.

Give them a 2 week window to do the install on the plane. They call me up over a week in and say that it won't happen, there's a 6-week lead time on the antenna, which I told them ahead of time they would need. I was very unhappy, and won't go back.

So, on the quality of the work, I don't think there are any issues. And you probably wouldn't have the schedule issues that I had.

Thanks for all of the recommendations. Its a little scary to be spending this amount of money with a shop that I don't have experience with, so your recommendations have been much appreciated. I will be calling these shops today. I am excited to get this done.

Talk to the folks at Avionics Unlimited as Ted suggested. They did great work, on schedule, and at a very good price for me.

To date, I have only had transponder/static checks done at Avionics Unlimited, but I have discussed a panel overhaul and like the ballpark prices they've quoted. Other pilots and mechanics whose opinions I trust have recommended them. I plan to have them do my job when the time comes.

Just to throw one more in the North central Texas mix... Tomlinson Avionics at Gainesville always did good work on our club aircraft.

Just to throw one more in the North central Texas mix... Tomlinson Avionics at Gainesville always did good work on our club aircraft.

Are they still there? I heard something recently that they might no longer be in operation.

Beyond that, I too have heard lots of good things about Tomlinson.

Talk to the folks at Avionics Unlimited as Ted suggested. They did great work, on schedule, and at a very good price for me.

I'm not sure I really suggested them if you read my review. :)

We won't be back, but our situation is a bit different than most.

I ended up going with Pippen York. I will be dropping off the plane the day after Thanksgiving. I have family close by that I will be visiting for Thanksgiving so its going to work out logistically.

Before I started this thread I had contacted Avionics Unlimited, but after 3 phone calls over the course of a month and no quote, I was not impressed. That was disappointing since they are really close. In AU's defence, I did recieve an email today (of course) with a quote, but it didn't matter since I put my deposit down with Pippen york yesterday. In the email they apologized because they were having email issues. So the communication issues may be resolved if you are considering them for work.

I seem to recall similar excuses on communication issues from AU over a year ago...

I ended up going with Pippen York. I will be dropping off the plane the day after Thanksgiving. I have family close by that I will be visiting for Thanksgiving so its going to work out logistically.

Before I started this thread I had contacted Avionics Unlimited, but after 3 phone calls over the course of a month and no quote, I was not impressed. That was disappointing since they are really close. In AU's defence, I did recieve an email today (of course) with a quote, but it didn't matter since I put my deposit down with Pippen york yesterday. In the email they apologized because they were having email issues. So the communication issues may be resolved if you are considering them for work.

I used them once. They were recommended, but it was interesting to say the least. I won't be back.

I picked up my arrow from Pippen York today. I am very happy with the work that was done. The workmanship looked excellent. The plane was completed on time and for the quoted amount. I filed IFR back to my home base and shot the GPS approach. No squawks. Used to flying /A, I was amazed what a workload reducer that GPS is. The clarity of the new audio panel was also very nice.

I highly recommend Pippen York and I will be taking all of my future avionics work to them.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I picked up my arrow from Pippen York today. I am very happy with the work that was done. The workmanship looked excellent. The plane was completed on time and for the quoted amount. I filed IFR back to my home base and shot the GPS approach. No squawks. Used to flying /A, I was amazed what a workload reducer that GPS is. The clarity of the new audio panel was also very nice.

I highly recommend Pippen York and I will be taking all of my future avionics work to them.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Good deal! Now, let's see a picture of the new panel. :yes::D

Pictures attached.

I forgot to mention that they tied in the 396 to the GTN 650. I hadn't thought to ask for that to be done, but it sure makes for a nice setup. By the way, on the second picture, it looks like I have digits missing on my KX155, I dont. I guess thats just a camera issue.

Attachments

• Photo Dec 12, 9 21 06 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 12, 9 21 06 AM.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 58
  • Photo Dec 12, 10 57 32 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 12, 10 57 32 AM.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
One thing I've heard about Pippen is that he is more interested in installs than repairs.

In any case, he did a good job at a fair price swapping a kln-89 for a kln-94, and then putting the 89b in a second airplane in place of the loran.

I don't know what he did with the loran.

I have a shelf in my office of avionics that are either dead or worthless. On them includes a LORAN, inop DME, flight director/HSI (dying and worthless), old Collins Nav/Com, etc.

<Quietly waiting to hear that portable panel docks are not legal and in no way can be installed into a certificated airplane>

<Quietly waiting to hear that portable panel docks are not legal and in no way can be installed into a certificated airplane>
Well, if someone throws a fit about it I can remove it in 5 seconds. Thankfully, I kept the yoke mount.

Back