Testing USB charging cables with the J7-t

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
So I bought one of these on a lark and decided to test out my collection of USB-A to microUSB charging cables.

8147900-2.jpg

Wow, what an eye opener! I had heard cables can make a difference in charge rates but I had no idea it was this much.

First up, an Android phone (Moto E4):
  • Best: 1.8 amps
  • Median: 1.2 amps
  • Worst: 0.6 amps
Next, iPhone:
  • Best: .98 amps
  • Median: .82 amps
  • Worst: .5 amps
Android Tab:
  • Best: 2.05 amps
  • Median: 1.22 amps
  • Worst: 0.7 amps
iPad:
  • Best: 1.85 amps
  • Median: 1.4 amps
  • Worst: 0.8 amps
Qi wireless charging pad (older standard rate):
  • Best: 1.51 amps
  • Median: 1.45 amps
  • Worst: 1.1 amps
Which one was the best cable? Although no single cable was best on all 5 devices, the 2 short ones consistently scored first or second in multiple categories. One is a 2ft flat cable and the other a 1.5ft round cable.

The next best category were the pair of woven jacket 3-in-1 cables. One looks like this (minus the branding) while the other has 3 different heads permanently attached:
naztech_14146_naztech_3x1_micro_lightning_1349243.jpg

I have 5 retractable cables and they did surprising well. Perhaps they used thicker copper to handle the frequent bending loads?

I have 9 of these 3ft-1m flat 2-in-1 cables that aside from color look almost identical to each other. They were all over the map. Some worked great, particularly the 2 that were embedded in the retract mechanism. Others were bottom of the barrel. The only clue I had as to whether one was good or bad was that the better ones were more pliable while the bad ones felt like they were constructed from thin gauge solid wire.
CBL_0053_BLK_9_large__51185.1442447402.500.659.jpg

Last were the 3ft-1m cables with round plastic jackets. As expected these varied a lot too, but none were better than average. One was thicker than normal and had an impressive looking choke on it. It scored mid-pack.

So, time to thin the herd. Anyone want some cheap microUSB cables? :)

Interesting test. Also, what did you use as a source to plug the cable into? I have a 10 foot lightning cable plugged into an iPad charger and it charges my iPhone 8+ much faster than with the cable plugged into either an iPhone charger or the USB built into the power strip.

Interesting test. Also, what did you use as a source to plug the cable into? I have a 10 foot lightning cable plugged into an iPad charger and it charges my iPhone 8+ much faster than with the cable plugged into either an iPhone charger or the USB built into the power strip.
4 port 35W charging station. I made sure the other 3 ports were empty during the test, though.

Standard iPhone brick is 5W whereas the iPad charger is 10W. The iPhone 8+ can use USB power delivery profiles up to 19W but that is only achievable over its USB-C based charging bricks (standard iPhone and iPad bricks are USB-A)

Back