Testing an Egress Hammer (Life Hammer)

If you want to see how the little spring loaded device is supposed to work, go to a junk yard and push it against the corner of a car/truck window near the corner. The safety glass will shatter into small beads. You may want to ask the owner first.

I'm sure @AggieMike88 won't mind if you bust up a few of his windshields. ;) :rofl:

I'm sure @AggieMike88 won't mind if you bust up a few of his windshields. ;) :rofl:
Since I hardly ever sell windshields (demand is extremely low), no problem.

But a windshield is going to shatter different than door window glass or back window glass.... There is a clear film in between two layers of glass. But the door glass will shatter in the manner you and @cgrab are thinking of.

Since I hardly ever sell windshields (demand is extremely low), no problem.

But a windshield is going to shatter different than door window glass or back window glass.... There is a clear film in between two layers of glass. But the door glass will shatter in the manner you and @cgrab are thinking of.
I doubt there is even a ROI worth chasing on windshields. Removing windshields without damaging them isnt practical.

I doubt there is even a ROI worth chasing on windshields. Removing windshields without damaging them isnt practical.
Nice to see you active again.

The request activity on used windshields is so low due to the super low pricing on new glass.

When I started in the biz in 1997, it wasn't uncommon for us to invoice used windshields for $200-250. That was due to new ones being at the time close to $500.00.

But in early 2000's, something changed in the new glass supply chain and ever since then, it is not uncommon to find advertisements for new windshields and installation below $200.00. This means that the new glass guys are getting them from their wholesaler for $50.00-ish. And that wholesaler, likely $25.00.

And you are correct that with the amount of labor involved to remove them from a wrecked car or truck, it isn't practical to offer them for sale.

Back