Testing a 408 mhz transponder

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
Testing a 408 mhz ELT

On the older 121.5 ELTs you use another radio and listen. What do they do on the newer 408 MHz models....hit the test button and wait for a phone call?

<--- test due next month.

Last edited:
On the older 121.5 transponders you use another radio and listen. What do they do on the newer 408 MHz models....hit the test button and wait for a phone call?

<--- test due next month.

Read the manual for your 406mHz Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT)

Google if you must.

I used my google foo but my google foo not so good.

Plus, the manual is in my hangar. I'm not in my hangar.

You mean ELT. Transponders never operated on 408, 406 or 121.5 MHz.
There's no such thing as a 408MHz ELT either.

A 406 MHz ELT still transmits on 121.5. What "test" are you talking about?
The test is done by putting it into test mode. Absent knowing what unit you have we can't tell you how to do that.

Anyhow, this is how CORPAS/SARSAT say to do it: https://www.cospas-sarsat.int/en/testing-your-406-mhz-beacon

Last edited:
My ELT is a 406MHz only .. It's made by Emerging Lifesaving Technologies.. It's antenna is a combo 406MHz / GPS all in one. (looks like a fin)

Not all of them. There exist (and are legal) 406 MHz only ELTs.

That doesn't sound like a good unit.

If I have a situation I'd want to be chirping on all freqs possible, I'd want to make it as easy to find me as possible and be talking with the most amount of receivers possible.

Have you read into any of the technical aspects of how the 406 ELT's work?

Have you had any first hand expeience with a 121.5 ELT and it's capabilities lately? I have literally heard them go off for hours and hours and do you know what that means? That means nobody has located the aircraft even though they know it is going off.. If they had a 406 MHz they would know where it's at fairly close and know who the aircraft belongs to.. If they have a 406MHz with GPS like I do, then they would know right where it is..

I feel fine having a 406 only... 121.5 is useless in my opinion.. it still sounds cool though ! :goofy:

Back