Tesla, the absolute best car!

You need to disclose how much stock you own if you are going to endorse it. ;)

:lol:

Tesla, the absolute best car!
That's a matter of opinion. Though it is impressively zippy, it is still pricey.

Tesla still hasn't proved itself, it hasn't produced many cars yet or for very long. It already has several blemishes on its safety record.

Simple road debris starting a fire, a fire that kept rekindling itself and was very difficult to put out. Firemen put themselves at risk of fire and explosion to cut apart the car to put out the battery fire.

Recall: 1,228 Tesla Model S sedans for weak seat welds
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/blog--recall-1228-tesla-model-s-sedans-for-weak-seat-welds

Tesla says car fire began in battery
http://bostonherald.com/business/automotive/2013/10/apnewsbreak_tesla_says_car_fire_began_in_battery

There is a good chance the federal government will not do a proper investigation because of the furloughs.
Tesla Catches Fire, Feds Can't Investigate Due to Shutdown
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_t...y_fire_due_to_shutdown.html?wpisrc=burger_bar

You need to disclose how much stock you own if you are going to endorse it.
Should Zippo stockholders also disclose because they are competitors? :rolleyes:

Tesla, the absolute best thing for America since the Internet boom! :yes:

I just love them, maybe I'll stop flying and buy one, it would be soooo much better for the environment.

Plus they're the cheapest way to get from one place to another because they use the suns energy and its free.

:popcorn::D

I would agree with you -- but then we would both be wrong.:wink2:
The absolute best car has not been built yet.
Battery technology has a long way to go before electric cars are seriously viable for real traveling in the USA. Or until they develop really long extension cords.

I wish we had a dealer here. Drive to & from work and do little more than plug it in twice a week.

Battery technology has a long way to go before electric cars are seriously viable for real traveling in the USA. Or until they develop really long extension cords.

I agree and disagree. The Tesla shows that electric cars are ready for prime time. Where I live they are becoming very common. The only negative things I hear about them comes on internet forums.

While it would be nice to have better batteries and one day we will, the real technological challenge now is, how do we make these batteries cheaper??

If Tesla could offer a car with similar performance at say, $25-30K, sales would explode. I'd bet sales of gasoline powered cars would be cut in half. I know I would buy one and not even think twice about it.

My favorite Tesla, straight from the 916...

Last edited:
I would buy one myself. Have a Chevy volt and love it but would like more range. Have driven volt 12000 miles and used 43 gal of gas. No problems whatsoever.

I agree and disagree. The Tesla shows that electric cars are ready for prime time. Where I live they are becoming very common. The only negative things I hear about them comes on internet forums.

While it would be nice to have better batteries and one day we will, the real technological challenge now is, how do we make these batteries cheaper??

If Tesla could offer a car with similar performance at say, $25-30K, sales would explode. I'd bet sales of gasoline powered cars would be cut in half. I know I would buy one and not even think twice about it.

I can barely comprehend the enviro"mental" disaster that will happen when we start mining for all that's needed for these batteries.
And to charge them? All these nuts with electric cars don't realize most electricity come from OIL presently. And these same people don't want coal or nuclear power plants no fracking either. Dispose of them? That's huge also.
Hydrogen fuel cell maybe.
Electric is a nice experiment until we find the real answer.IMO

I would buy one myself. Have a Chevy volt and love it but would like more range. Have driven volt 12000 miles and used 43 gal of gas. No problems whatsoever.
Magna Corp. ,makers of the Volt drive train has pretty much shut down, Volt's aren't selling well enough.

Check and see where your electricity comes from. Most likely fossil fuel.
I've also heard numbers of efficiency of our electric grid as 50% to as much as 80% inefficient.
Also heard if you compare the total cost including carbon footprint that as of today a Hummer is better overall for the environment than a Toyota Prius .
Might be B.S. but worth looking into.

I'll buy one when you can go 300 miles on a charge stop and recharge in the time it takes to put 20 gals. of gas in the tank and drive the next 200 miles to the cabin as I do now (if we're not flying) Also cost per mile must decrease.

Even at 50% efficiency still beast an internal combustion engine...

OOps
forgot to say I'd like to see Tesla successful. One of my son's best friends works for them. He built a hydrogen powered lawnmower in shop at highschool and a pretty awesome electric motorcycle. He was almost killed on that bike a number of times by cars and had people walk out in front of him on the street.
I suggested he put a sound system on it and play a recording of a loud Harley.
He smiled and said "No It would cut down my range":dunno:

Even at 50% efficiency still beast an internal combustion engine...

Put a big enough battery in to go the distance of a 35 mpg car on one charge and see how efficient and convenient it is then:wink2:

I'll buy one when you can go 300 miles on a charge stop and recharge in the time it takes to put 20 gals. of gas in the tank and drive the next 200 miles to the cabin as I do now (if we're not flying) Also cost per mile must decrease.

They need to come up with an industry standard battery, one that can be swapped at the "gas" station. Out with the discharged, in with the charged, pay and go. Station tests old battery, if it is no longer acceptable it is pulled for recycle/refurb.

No way! So super reliable, no safety issues, economical.........Geez, how could you go wrong?? :dunno:

To better represent the Tesla model S (as in Spark) I would suggest changing the model name. A few suggestions.

1. Tesla Zippo
  2. Tesla Ronson
  3. Tesla Inferno
  4. Tesla Conflagration
  5. Tesla Firebird
  6. Tesla Hades
  7. Tesla Holocaust
  8. Tesla Blaze
  9. Tesla Bonfire
  10. Tesla Ember
  11. Tesla Purgatory
  12. Tesla Pandemonium
  13. Tesla Crematorium
  14. Tesla Spark
  15. Tesla Combustor
  16. Tesla Tumult
  17. Tesla Torch
  18. Tesla Igniter
  19. Tesla Plummet
  20. Tesla Outburst
  21. Tesla Fulminator
  22. Tesla Detonator
  23. Tesla Paroxysm
  24. Tesla Bipolar
  25. Tesla Arc
  26. Tesla Pinto

They need to come up with an industry standard battery, one that can be swapped at the "gas" station. Out with the discharged, in with the charged, pay and go. Station tests old battery, if it is no longer acceptable it is pulled for recycle/refurb.

I believe that idea has been talked about before. Now just try to get them to standardize any thing :)

Since jan 2011 there have been 61000 volts produced. From jan to April of this year they sold 12000. I think the idea is catching on. I realize that fossil fuel is used to produce the electricity but all I have to go on is my electric bill. It is less than 30 dollars per month more if that. That produces a substantial savings over what we were paying in gas.

Since jan 2011 there have been 61000 volts produced. From jan to April of this year they sold 12000. I think the idea is catching on. I realize that fossil fuel is used to produce the electricity but all I have to go on is my electric bill. It is less than 30 dollars per month more if that. That produces a substantial savings over what we were paying in gas.

Good news everyone buys an E car, Bad news electricity prices soar,Major energy companies(formerly oil companies) take advantage of demand.
Black outs across the Country continue.
Eco freaks are in a pickle as they can't drive their E cars to the demonstration sites where they want hydroelectric dams removed to bring the rivers back to their natural state. In turn they all walk to the alternate protest sites at the nuclear plants.
Meanwhile in Detroit the Big three have announced the development of the new coal fired Auto.:wink2:

We the people of the world are destined to use up all resources of this planet
In my opinion enjoy what you have and what you can, you are only here for an extremely short time and you can do nothing to change the inevitable.
99.8% of all species to date are extinct and we are headed that way.
Mother Earth has a way of cleansing herself of the pesky little parasites we are. Everything we do is destroying our way of life no matter what we attempt.
E cars will make Zero difference in the long run.
If you think you're making a difference in the final outcome have at it and enjoy yourself, saving $1 or $million is great for the short term but will not save us ,sorry to be a tad negative :rofl:
Isn't this thread fun????
:popcorn:

Wait a minute they just swapped out my 0 time battery for one that had 1500 hrs on it:rofl:

I believe that idea has been talked about before. Now just try to get them to standardize any thing :)

You mean like propane tanks?, AA, C, D cell, series 21, 24, 27, 31, 4D, 8D... batteries....;)

Been done and failed. Google Project Better Place, or just Better Place. Partnered with Renault and Panasonic I believe. Pilot program is in Israel. Lots of fancy videos to watch. It has largely been a boondoggle.

I can barely comprehend the enviro"mental" disaster that will happen when we start mining for all that's needed for these batteries.
And to charge them? All these nuts with electric cars don't realize most electricity come from OIL presently. And these same people don't want coal or nuclear power plants no fracking either. Dispose of them? That's huge also.
Hydrogen fuel cell maybe.
Electric is a nice experiment until we find the real answer.IMO

Why would I care about all that crap? I want an electric car because it is a better car. I can remember to plug the car in at night. It is a nice experiment and I want to participate. I can't wait until the day we can relegate the cantankerous internal combustion engine to the museums and it's only operated by vintage equipment enthusiasts. It was a great piece of high tech in 1885, but it's high time for a change.

:popcorn:
My plan is working:)
All that crap is the baggage that goes along with Ecars, probably just as bad for the environment as our old 1896 smog burners, 3 or 4 generations from now will know.
Not enough history yet to say the E's are better. Looks trendy maybe a little cool also.
Some will want a Star Trek transporter instead of a plane, I like the plane better.

Last edited:
Why would I care about all that crap? I want an electric car because it is a better car. I can remember to plug the car in at night. It is a nice experiment and I want to participate. I can't wait until the day we can relegate the cantankerous internal combustion engine to the museums and it's only operated by vintage equipment enthusiasts. It was a great piece of high tech in 1885, but it's high time for a change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjjNvjURS-s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not that I'm saying there isn't some advantages to electric vehicles. In my opinion there is nothing as cool as high lead, high compression, high-power hot rods and aircraft. I think a P-51 Mustang doing a high-speed pass is much more awesome than today's modern era craft. It was even better with high test high lead. I like the sound and feel of the Rat Corvette and Hemi Roadrunner, being in second gear and lifting the front end off the ground is awesome.

It would be great if they update airplanes with these fancy batteries.

Maybe someone can send a suggestion to Boeing to equip their new planes with modern batteries. Imagine how nice it is to have these proven and trouble free lithium ion batteries in something like the 787 Dreamliner? :D

Back