Tesla Model 3 - Finally.

It's a ChargePoint level 2 charger. A bit cryptic with the cable underneath it. ;)

I don't have an EV yet, but I plan on getting one. Just getting set-up and ready for when I do buy one. I saw several places had it "out of stock" or "back ordered", so I didn't want to buy and EV and then be stuck with 110v or charging up away from home for local driving.

It's a ChargePoint level 2 charger. A bit cryptic with the cable underneath it. ;)

I don't have an EV yet, but I plan on getting one. Just getting set-up and ready for when I do buy one. I saw several places had it "out of stock" or "back ordered", so I didn't want to buy and EV and then be stuck with 110v or charging up away from home for local driving.

Good on you. We've managed to just use the EVSE's that come with the cars. The one for the Clarity could provide about 10 miles per hour on 240v from either a 30A or 50A circuit. The one for the Tesla provides just over 20 miles per hour on a 240v 30A circuit or just over 30 miles per hour on a 240v 50A circuit. Either one almost always takes the Tesla to 80% (or 90% if we plan on traveling the next day) overnight, which is enough for us. But you should love your ChargePoint.

I’d get the Tesla Wall connector at home, with a J-1772 you’ll have to fumble with the adapter.

This is the one we got after getting a plug-in hybrid. Took a week to get the unit, then another couple weeks to find a decent electrician with time to install it. The main reason we went with the ChargePoint one was it was the easiest to configure to use with the "time-of-use" plan we have with SCE. We have solar and a 10 kWH battery, so charging between 3 pm and 9 pm is verboten unless we want to spend 2.5x for it. The battery supplies most of our needs during the peak hours.

Glad I got in when I did.

Latest price increases…

51938905162_174e98486f.jpg

I ordered at the end of July, 2021 when my Model 3 LR was $49,990. I ordered right after a $1,000 price increase.

There had been two $1,000 increases since. Yesterday it increased another $2,500 to $54,490. Now $4,500 more than I paid and $5,500 more than it was last summer.

Just before this latest increase, Elon tweeted the Tesla and Space X were seeing significant recent inflation pressure in raw materials & logistics.

In the past, Tesla has reduced prices as their economies of scale have reduced there cost. Could happen again, if inflation subsides but doesn't look like that will happen in the near-term.

Looks like 3k-10k price increases across the board. At $5/g, that buys 600-2000 gallons of gas, which in a 30mpg car will carry you 18,000, to 60,000mi down the road. Again, buying electric isn't about saving money.

Looks like 3k-10k price increases across the board. At $5/g, that buys 600-2000 gallons of gas, which in a 30mpg car will carry you 18,000, to 60,000mi down the road. Again, buying electric isn't about saving money.
Meanwhile, car dealers are adding $5,000, $10,000, or more, additional markup over MSRP on comparable models. The dealer system just keeps the changes hidden since it isn't clear how much people are really paying.

I didn't buy my car to save money, but it's nice when it does. Using my actual Wh/mi since new with my home electrical rates, I'm paying 2.55¢/mile for energy. My other cars are Mazda3s which get close to 30mpg. At our current gasoline rates, that's ~14¢/mile. The numbers are fun to calculate, but I'd pay more to drive it.

Meanwhile, car dealers are adding $5,000, $10,000, or more, additional markup over MSRP on comparable models.

True, now is not the time to be buying any vehicles, new or used. Sellers market right now.

With 90 % of first time Tesla buyers saying it was the most expensive car they’ve ever purchased, I don’t think it’s ever been about saving money. The reasons for going EV have already been covered at length here.

Purchase price comparisons depend on who’s cherry picking the data. The Tesla fan boys will tell you their Model 3 is on par with a BMW M3 or Audi A5. In that case, the Model 3 will have the economic advantage just after the starting gate. The ICE crowd will use a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry comparison in which it’ll take many years to make up for the initial purchase cost. Of course Model 3 owners turn their noses up to that because the Model 3 is a luxury sedan and they are not. Real world is somewhere in between those two comparisons.

Someone posted on the Model S FB page the other day about how to tell their friends how awesome it is to own a Model S during these days (gas prices) without coming off as arrogant. Only a few people replied with the hard truth of ownership. This is, the initial purchase price most likely far exceeds the gas savings to their friend’s vehicles. Second, out of warranty costs for a Tesla are outrageous. $10K for a drive unit replacement? $20K for a new battery? My Subaru is out of warranty and I don’t have any worries of that type of maintenance nightmare.

I would think one should let all those finely machined Italian parts become better acquainted before doing full throttle pulls.

Reactions: Ted
With the various posts here about different folks purchasing a Tesla....

Maybe we need to add a Tesla Drive In to the PoA calendar.

Did my first super charger session today. Don’t really plan on using super chargers but wanted to check if mine was transferred to me. So many factors if it has but fortunately mine falls under the free unlimited super charging criteria. Anyway, 25 minutes to add 76 miles isn’t very convenient for trips but mine has the 16.2 software that severely restricts charging rate. New cars are much faster. Not a factor since I don’t plan on doing long trips with it. Nice to know it’s free if I ever do though.

What was your state-of-charge when you began the Supercharging session?

48%. It immediately raced up to like 70 KW, then it settled on around 36 KW.

5F1801C2-8DBB-4EAC-9F3C-31B1A5F180A0.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve seen mine do similar. First 80-90% of required charge happens at a high kW, then the “top off” is half.

Yeah, yours should stay at a much higher rate though. I’m almost positive my Model S pack (85KWH) was part of the 2019 capping and reduced charge rate software update (16.1 / 16.2). Tesla has stated it was for just some 85 Model Ss but it seems it’s far more than they’re leading on. There’s a lawsuit against them right now.

It would be interesting to see what it would do Supercharging at under 20% state-of-charge.

I’m sure a lot higher than the 36 KW it settled on. It’s old though and I’ve read the newer models don’t have the software like mine that restricts the KWs as much. It’s really not something I’ll use much so I’m not too concerned. I plan on getting a 240 outlet at home and that should work fine. With free super charging, it would be nice though if they put a Tesla charger in my town.

With free super charging, it would be nice though if they put a Tesla charger in my town.
I'd check, in the Model S section of www.TeslaMotorsClub.com, to see what other people are able to get with cars similar to yours.

Your 329 Wh/mi was interesting for me, too. I was curious how the efficiency was on the much larger car. I've averaged 264 Wh/mi since new.

Nice artwork on the garage walls.
...Is it colah by numba's?

:biggrin:Couldn't resist, Good Will Hunting reference. I'm sure his wife's paintings are delightful.

:D

Our middle daughter is a painter, as a hobby. We have several pieces in the home. People walking through (workers, guests,…) regularly stop and ask about them. Those two are just a couple from her HS years. Her sisters have some paintings from her too. They asked for them for their homes.

Grrrr…

Last night we were on the way home last night from a hockey game. As we stopped for a red light, a turning car swung wide and sideswiped the left rear door and fender of our precious new Tesla…

51946697024_cfd15a2606_z.jpg

And then took off! We caught it on a dashcam, and on the left side camera. Might be just enough to figure out the tag. Once I edit and combine the two videos, I’ll post them here. Anyway, could have been worse and thankful we weren’t injured and the car is fully drivable.

One of the more interesting YT channels I subscribe to is Wham Bam Tesla Cam.

@FastEddieB did your M3 come with the chrome already deleted or is that something you did yourself?

Grrrr…

Last night we were on the way home last night from a hockey game. As we stopped for a red light, a turning car swung wide and sideswiped the left rear door and fender of our precious new Tesla…

51946697024_cfd15a2606_z.jpg

And then took off! We caught it on a dashcam, and on the left side camera. Might be just enough to figure out the tag. Once I edit and combine the two videos, I’ll post them here. Anyway, could have been worse and thankful we weren’t injured and the car is fully drivable.
I’d like to hear the saga of the repair. Time, costs (even those born by insurance if possible), and quality of results. If you’re up to it. You owe me nothing.

Sorry to hear of the accident, and I really hope your cameras captured a tag number. Hit and run drivers are scum; this one needs to be hauled in.

Sorry to hear that. That’s steel body right?

Latest price increases…

51938905162_174e98486f.jpg

Me too. The price of my car has gone up $7K (17.5%!) since I bought it in September! :eek:

Purchase price comparisons depend on who’s cherry picking the data. The Tesla fan boys will tell you their Model 3 is on par with a BMW M3 or Audi A5. In that case, the Model 3 will have the economic advantage just after the starting gate. The ICE crowd will use a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry comparison in which it’ll take many years to make up for the initial purchase cost. Of course Model 3 owners turn their noses up to that because the Model 3 is a luxury sedan and they are not. Real world is somewhere in between those two comparisons.

I had a more apples to apples comparison since I was shopping other EVs - And even then, before gas prices went bonkers, EV was worthwhile for the gas savings.

Among the handful of BEVs I looked at - And I wish I could remember them all, but the Kia Niro EV was definitely one of them - the Model 3 was the cheapest. It wasn't far off from a couple of the low-trim competitors, except that if you added any driver assist features to those, they were $5K more and the Model 3 has autopilot by default.

But... That was before all of these price increases. The base model has gone from $39,990 to $46,990 in about 6 months! :eek:

Back