Terrific flying/canoe trip SW Tx.

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
took a fun trip this weekend, a 2-day canoe trip through the Santa Elena canyon on the Rio Grande. I have lived here almost 20years and had never found the time to do it; finally.....and well worth it.
Its a 3hr drive so I flew into their gravel strip (30mins), plenty long and wide, great condition, no tiedowns, ppnotr.
Terlingua airstrip
The service will pick you up there and take you into town for outfitting, then a 20min ride for put-in at Lajitas.
Paddled 1st day (7 people 5+2guides, 4 canoes) downstream through some minor rapids (one swamped canoe) to campsite, where they served filet mignon, salad, wine, mashed potatoes, lots of yakking.
Next am into the slot canyon, some of the vertical walls are 1500' high. A million birds, some turtles, snakes, lots of horses. A couple vaqueros on the Mx side waved at us from high on a ridge - looked surreal to see them up there on their mules. Stopped for lunch at Fern Canyon, a side slot of Santa E. canyon...amazing rocks, caves, a spring, and a narrow place called the Birthing Canal where you crawl through the splashing spring water to get further into the canyon. Did not see another tourist til exiting the mouth Sat around 2pm. Can't recommend these guys highly enough:
Far Flung River trips

Attachments

• P1010044.JPG
    P1010044.JPG
    661.4 KB · Views: 11
Wow -- sounds like a great time!!

The middle weekend in May I'm taking my wife on her first overnight canoe trip down the West branch of the Susquehanna from Keating to Lock Haven. We'll camp overnight on an island -- but I'll be responsible for the filet mignon, et al!

cool dave!

Leah and a few of the other girls did a float trip down a section of the Rio Grande on friday. they loved it and informed us that next time they will all be spending a few days down in the Big Bend area.

Back when we lived in California our Boy Scout Troop would do a 3 day, 83 mile trip down the Sacramento River from Redding. Boys in their home made kayaks (plywood and canvas) and some of the adults in canoes. Nothing worse than class 1 rapids. It's hot in the Sacramento Valley in the summer and it was an 83 mile running water fight. :D Great fun. Had one scout come up to our canoe and try to fill us with water with his bailing bucket. I just reached over and shoved the side of his kayak under water, sinking him on the spot. Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

Back