Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I've had it up to here..... No longer do I want to hear:

slippery slope

sea state

I'm sure there are others equally as grinding but those readily come to mind.

Slippery slope? That's something found in mtn terrain or in the snow country. Go around it or just deal with it. I'll wager none (nada, zip, zero) of the talking heads know what a sea state is. Leave it alone, give it back to the mariners where it belongs.

We don't need to banish anything on my behalf but I gotta say it makes me squirm a little to hear certain french phrases butchered!

"Deja Vu all over again" ......kinda doubly redundant!

(Deja vu {needs accents over both the e and the a} means literally, "already seen" or coloquially, "already done that/seen that!" and to add the "all over again".....well it just ain't raaht!)

"Waalaaa" ......cmon we can say and spell it properly; "Voila!" (vwah-lah'!)
("Voila" {needs an accent above the a} means "Behold!")

That's OK, I'll get over it -my language is probably rife with similar things! Funny how certain things getcha!
:)

PS if we are to allow our Sunday morning nitpicking to go WILD, I squirm each time I get those POA quotes that have spelling mistakes in them! One is Chuch instead of Church, the other is Avaitor instead of Aviator!

...as for moi (sorry, could not resist), I always cringe when someone tells me that they are going "...to the ATM machine."

And I contend that there should be a mandatory course, for every English-speaking US citizen, entitled , "How to use Mr. Apostrophe Properly."

The extra-credit segment would be, "'There' and 'Their': There is a Difference!"

Let'sgoflying! said:
Isn't that the point? Credited to Yogi Berra, who also had pearls of wisdom like:
"The future ain't what it used to be." and "If the people don't want to come out to the ballpark, nobody's going to stop them."
See: http://www.yogiberra.com/yogi-isms.html

A programmer who used to work for me was forever butchering the language. Two of my favorites were:
"That's a real catch 20-20." and
"It's half of one and six dozen of the other."
But "He's not the brightest bulb in the shed." ranks pretty high up there too.

About a thousand years ago, when I was a kid, and when I used top read New Yorker magazine, there was a piece by an English lady, who, as she stepped out of a cab, heard the cabbie say:

"Jeezus Christ. Them people sure moider the english lang-gage."

I'm not sure how this relates to your post exactly, but somehow it came to mind after reading the thread...

Let'sgoflying! said:
We don't need to banish anything on my behalf but I gotta say it makes me squirm a little to hear certain french phrases butchered!

That phrase was originally intended to be intentionally redundant in a (hopefully) funny way. Wasn't this originally one of Yogi Berra's? ("It's like deja vu all over again").

Can't say why this bothers me so much given that it's on the menu of thousands of resturants around this country but "With Au Jus" is something that drives me nuts as it basically means "With with juice".

That's OK, I'll get over it -my language is probably rife with similar things! Funny how certain things getcha!
:)

PS if we are to allow our Sunday morning nitpicking to go WILD, I squirm each time I get those POA quotes that have spelling mistakes in them! One is Chuch instead of Church, the other is Avaitor instead of Aviator!

SCCutler said:
...as for moi (sorry, could not resist), I always cringe when someone tells me that they are going "...to the ATM machine."

And I contend that there should be a mandatory course, for every English-speaking US citizen, entitled , "How to use Mr. Apostrophe Properly."

The extra-credit segment would be, "'There' and 'Their': There is a Difference!"

Don't forget "They're", they're all different!

While you're at it, would someone get rid of

"At the end of the day..."

and

"To your point..." or "To his point", "To John's point", etc

tom. said:
While you're at it, would someone get rid of {clip}

Agreed.

The ones that drive me completely up the wall:

"Please realize $125.63. Thank you." - I had to put up with that nonsense constantly at work. It doesn't even make sense. The annoying bit is that it does not have the same definition every time based on the way they incorrectly use it. That word does not mean what they think it means.

"Please find below..." or "Please find the attached..." referencing the next and only comment or the only attached file. Find? They act like it's a 65536x65536 grid word search puzzle with only one 3 letter solution hidden deep in the grid. It's not that hard to find the ONLY statement in the message or the ONLY attached file. I don't have to find anything, it's right there in front of me. Again, that word does not mean what they think it means.

To all CFI's: In aviation, we use the holding pattern. We do not do race track patterns. True, it's the same general shape as the thing that wingless 4 wheeled ground bound inferior vehicles or track runners use but it's called a holding pattern. A race track is the little oval thing on sectionals that you can use as a checkpoint. A holding pattern is the oval thing on IFR enroute charts and approach plates that keeps your controller out of the nutter farm. Please use the correct terminology that's been around for the last 100 years.

"Please" "get" "rid" "of" "the" "overquoting" "nonsense" "when" "writing" "and" "do" "not" "do" "the" "finger" "quoting" "thing" "in" "my" "face" "when" "you" "are" "talking" "to" "me" "or" "I" "will" "rip" "your" "fingers" "completely" "off."

The one that gets my goat is 'drill down' as in: our profit this year declined 12%, let's drill down to find the cause. AAARRRHHHHGGGGG
Can't say exactly why it bothers me but I cringe every time it's said in a meeting.

CAVU,
Kevin

Let'sgoflying! said:
I'd contribute further but I gotta go buy me a Hot Water Heater!

Shouldn't that be a "Cold Water Heater". Seems like once the water is hot you don't need to heat it anymore.:rolleyes:

How about "Closure" and one that seems to be spoken all over the place these days; "To Be Honest" Argh!!!

John

lancefisher said:
Shouldn't that be a "Cold Water Heater". Seems like once the water is hot you don't need to heat it anymore.:rolleyes:

Lance, I'm going to be at home depot sometime next week updating the price list on stuff I need. Since they never help me when I need help and insist on helping me when I don't need help, when they descend on me this time I think I shall insist on finding out about some specific details for cold water heaters. I'm in no hurry with nothing better to do so it should be an interesting conversation... :D

fgcason said:
Lance, I'm going to be at home depot sometime next week updating the price list on stuff I need. Since they never help me when I need help and insist on helping me when I don't need help, when they descend on me this time I think I shall insist on finding out about some specific details for cold water heaters. I'm in no hurry with nothing better to do so it should be an interesting conversation... :D
I despise that place. My wife thinks it's her favorite store. Anyway, you ask a question, you go to the penalty box. The more you ask, the more they will make it rough on you. Think of it as a game.

how about when people who switch to another country's accent when they pronounce a word which may have originated from that other country, but is also a common word in english. i often hear it with food.

also, how about the reporter's who switch to a thick accent when pronouncing their last name? i'm 'on the fence' about that one since it is their own name. it is a bit distracting and sounds like a fanfare at the end of a news segment though.

:goofy: Ahhhhh...always a good laugh!

It's not ATM, it's bank in the box!!!

And if I hear one more person tell me our "mission" in our staff meeting one more time,I think I will scream !!!:hairraise:

Let'sgoflying! said:
"Waalaaa" ......cmon we can say and spell it properly; "Voila!" (vwah-lah'!)
("Voila" {needs an accent above the a} means "Behold!")

Well more litterally 'look there'. :)

Richard said:
I despise that place. My wife thinks it's her favorite store. Anyway, you ask a question, you go to the penalty box. The more you ask, the more they will make it rough on you. Think of it as a game.

I despise it too. I use them for general price referencing and materials availablity only then go buy somewhere else. Their overprice rate is usually somewhat reasonable for underestimating actual costs when the project begins.

Company mission statements just make me want to projectile vomit uncontrollably. -- Are you going to actually do something useful or are you going to just stand there babbling nonsense all day?

"Give me the big picture from 30,000 feet" - That always starts me on a discussion about cabin pressure differentials, oxygen partial pressure at ambient pressures, pressure breathing techniques, oxygen requirements, time for useful consciousness (funny how some people behave as though they exceeded that limit by say 30 hours even though they're at/near SL), explosive decompression/condensation and the whole general hostile environment that's up there.

Oh yea, whoever mentioned drill-down, yes, me too. AAAAAIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Also please dispense with "talking points" and "two-word culture". I don't watch the news all day, I work. I don't know what they are, or care.

And the interview question: "Where do you see yourself in five years?"

And the word "hot" to describe every new four door sedan.

Layers of the onion.

So-and-so is "in a tailspin". What is a tailspin?

Mindshare.

The word "perp" being used by the man on the street.

I can go on and on.

If I could go the rest of my life without seeing:

"should of" instead of "should have" or "should've" my life would be complete.

Since we're talking about spoken word here, I also say that if we could get rid of the phrase "turn around time," I would be much happier. Maybe its just my industry, but that phrase is used way more often than it deserves. How about just saying "We'll fix it tomorrow," instead of "That type of problem usually has a 24 hour turn around time."

Ugh.

gibbons said:
A programmer who used to work for me was forever butchering the language. Two of my favorites were:
"That's a real catch 20-20." and
"It's half of one and six dozen of the other."
But "He's not the brightest bulb in the shed." ranks pretty high up there too.

A Cornel grad I used to work with:

About Pearl Harbor: "A day that will live in infancy"

Talking to another cow-orker about a project: "I'd sure hate to bend you over a barrel."

We were assembling a bike rack for the car to go mt. biking, and the rubber pieces were hard to put together: "Put some armstrong on that" he kept insisting. It took a while for us to figure out he meant Armour-All.

While paying the bill for a large function meeting at a restaurant: "Oh, I see the gratitude is alreay included."

Many others, this guy butchered them all.

I'd like to add:

"chilling"

If you disagree with something these days, you just have to claim that it will have a chilling effect on (free speech, thought, freedom, whatever) any you will automatically be awarded all the righteous points.

Dan

How about:

"Its for the children". Let's ban everything we don't or can't do, that we don't understand because we think its unsafe and pretend its dangerous to children to create an emotional, but false argument against it.

I used to think "I could care less" was used incorrectly. And it may be. But since then, my mind has found a way around it...

Maybe they are saying, "I could care less..... but I find that I really don't!"

Who knows. I really could (or couldn't) care less, and have more im ortant things to worry about!

Bill Jennings said:
A Cornel grad I used to work with:

About Pearl Harbor: "A day that will live in infancy"

Talking to another cow-orker about a project: "I'd sure hate to bend you over a barrel."

Had a coworker once who described another coworker as a grudge-a-mudgeon. I couldn't help but to laugh out loud at him.

Bill Jennings said:
We were assembling a bike rack for the car to go mt. biking, and the rubber pieces were hard to put together: "Put some armstrong on that" he kept insisting. It took a while for us to figure out he meant Armour-All.
I dunno Bill. When we talk about putting some armstrong on something, we're referring to getting a bigger hammer, longer wrench, etc. and putting some muscle into it.

"For all intensive purposes" - Drives me nuts.

"To tell you the truth" What you were lying before?

I heard this one visiting my college age sister-in-law, "Tote Def". She shortened "Totally Definately". Used in place of "OK". I wanted to cry.
Me - "You want to go to the mall?"
Her - "Tote Def"

I could also do without "Bling".

James Dean

Sprotscasters that say "thus far". Listen carefully, it'll be used at least once a game, regardless of the sport.

How about "it's an intrical part of..." instead of integral.

how do you all get out of bed in the morning?
Start taking that prozac, then just go for the sport pilot lisence next time around. :)

James_Dean said:
"For all intensive purposes" - Drives me nuts.
I understood it to be "for all intents and purposes" ... which sounds redundant to me. A co-worker once told he me thought it was "for all in tents and porpoises" and really was confused by that phrase.

I am getting very tired of hearing "absolutely" for about any affirmative response... oh, well... "to each his own"

Let me "axe" a question...
"Irregardless..."
We've got to nip it in the "butt".

And also, "He's a jack of all trades!" meaning "He's good at everything!" That's not what that phrase means..... the complete phrase is "jack of all trades, master of none." Arrrg.

Oh yeah, one more... I can't stand it when people use the word "literally" to mean "really a lot". As in, "I was so angry at Bob the other day, I literally exploded!"

This is a fun thread. :yes:

--Kath

Last edited:
Michael said:
how do you all get out of bed in the morning?

By the concussion from the blasting stereo in the apartment downstairs that literally knocks me out of bed. How else?

Michael said:
Start taking that prozac, then just go for the sport pilot lisence next time around. :)

I forgot about that one. I can do without all those dope dealers on tv, stereo, ads, etc telling me I need to take their dope. They don't even tell you what it's for. They just tell you that you really really really really need it because it's good for you. don't worry about catastrophic cardiac arrest that happens in some patients who take our dope, you will feel good right up to the point that you keel over And I always thought the dope dealers on the street were bad.

Back