TERMINATING MEMBERSHIP

It would take some work, but if he deleted his own posts, then contacted those who quoted him, he could request they delete those posts that contained his quotes. My hope would be that members would do so, especially if they were affecting him professionally. My experience has been that this is a pretty good group.

I don't think I ever replied to any of his threads, but if I did and if I quoted him, I'd be happy to edit my posts if they're causing him some kind of problem.

If you don't understand the web/internet and public fora, you really shouldn't participate. I'm not talking about the back-end technical details, it's the word "public" and the phrase "search engine".

It's been more 20 years since the internet (and email) went public to the unwashed masses. And how many times (exponentially!) have user been warned that anything they write in email or on a newsgroup and now, on the web, will never, never, never go away?

And now the Library of Congress is archiving EVERY tweet.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

WOW!!!

Sorry to say this David, but you kinda hoisted yourself by your own petard. :dunno:

Please advise how I can TERMINATE my membership/association here.

I need to ELIMINATE all postings that I have made, responded to, been responded to, etc.

It is haunting me in the real world.

Please advise.

Your best bet is to identify each and every post that is "haunting" you (it can't be but a small percentage of the posts involving you and/or your name). Then delete the ones you posted yourself and PM the originators of each one posted by another and politely request they edit your name out of the specific posts of concern. Keep in mind that deleting the original content in no way guarantees that other copies of said content don't exist in places you have no hope of eliminating.

...Then delete the ones you posted yourself and PM the originators of each one posted by another and politely request they edit your name out of the specific posts of concern....

May not be possible without moderator/administrator intervention. Most of the vBulletin installations I'm familiar with have a fairly short window after posting in which the originator can edit/delete the posts.

Don't know what the administrator has set for this board, but it may be unlimited. Just looked back at a previous post, and the edit/delete window is still open after 3 days.

Your best bet is to identify each and every post that is "haunting" you (it can't be but a small percentage of the posts involving you and/or your name). Then delete the ones you posted yourself and PM the originators of each one posted by another and politely request they edit your name out of the specific posts of concern. Keep in mind that deleting the original content in no way guarantees that other copies of said content don't exist in places you have no hope of eliminating.

A nice, polite and common-sense suggestion. Thank you, Lance.

If you can't delete the posts outright, then you can always edit them to random non-sense. I don't think there's a time limit for that on this board.

If there IS a time limit, with most software, the admins can change the permissions to allow it. I was an admin on a board with SMF software, I used to do things like that all the time.

May not be possible without moderator/administrator intervention. Most of the vBulletin installations I'm familiar with have a fairly short window after posting in which the originator can edit/delete the posts.

Don't know what the administrator has set for this board, but it may be unlimited. Just looked back at a previous post, and the edit/delete window is still open after 3 days.
AFAIK there is nothing stopping a user from deleting or editing any post they made no matter how many days it's been.

There is one exception - you cannot delete the first post in a thread. But you can edit it to nothing like: ........

Considering how this guy never feels the need to read or take anyone's advice I'm not going to put any more energy into this..

I still retain the old school modemer mentality, NEVER use your real name, and never describe your situation and happenings accurately enough that they can be traced to the real you. And never say anything you can't tell a cop, the FAA or a divorce attorney on a message board, even anonymously.

You mean I should've posted with an alias? and listed a fake city? DARN!! :incazzato:

:goofy:

I still retain the old school modemer mentality, NEVER use your real name, and never describe your situation and happenings accurately enough that they can be traced to the real you. And never say anything you can't tell a cop, the FAA or a divorce attorney on a message board, even anonymously.

Or your mother.

AFAIK there is nothing stopping a user from deleting or editing any post they made no matter how many days it's been.

There is one exception - you cannot delete the first post in a thread. But you can edit it to nothing like: ........

Considering how this guy never feels the need to read or take anyone's advice I'm not going to put any more energy into this..

After all this time, he still hasn't deleted his posts himself.

Confirms my first impression of Mr. Moeslein...never seems to take responsibility for his own actions, and somehow that's causing him heartburn in a career where you are responsible for the lives of your passengers.

Back