Tell your congressman to make registration data private

And I agree with you that it shouldn't be made public, but disagree that it is a big deal (and also obviously disagree that license plate information isnot available to the public).

Great! Then please write or phone your Congressman!! This will never get fixed if we don't complain about it. The Pilot's Bill of Rights 1 and 2 would not have happened if we didn't complain to Congress.

While I agree there's reason to keep the "bad guys" (whoever they may be) from following your flight/plane thru adsb out, how much info gets out to potential bad guys thru your phone/tablet etc?

Privacy is lost forever... Unless you wanna disappear. And to do that, many hoops to jump thru.

I don't like it. But, short of walking away from everything into the wilderness and foraging for the rest of your life, there's little one can do about it.

We use plastic, we drive cars with OnStar, fordpass, Google maps, gps, in major cities there are cameras everywhere. China is using facial recognition to know where everyone is all the time.

Stores in the US use grouping (did you come in with family, or just follow that family in?) for "cart counts."

Amazon and other on line retailers are poised to start sending you stuff you didn't order, but their AI knew you would want.

If you feel better writing your Congress Critters to stop tracking you plane; go nuts, have fun. Unfortunately, you're tinkling into a gale, and it will do you as much good.

JMHO, YMMV.

While I agree there's reason to keep the "bad guys" (whoever they may be) from following your flight/plane thru adsb out, how much info gets out to potential bad guys thru your phone/tablet etc?

Privacy is lost forever... Unless you wanna disappear. And to do that, many hoops to jump thru.

I don't like it. But, short of walking away from everything into the wilderness and foraging for the rest of your life, there's little one can do about it.

We use plastic, we drive cars with OnStar, fordpass, Google maps, gps, in major cities there are cameras everywhere. China is using facial recognition to know where everyone is all the time.

Stores in the US use grouping (did you come in with family, or just follow that family in?) for "cart counts."

Amazon and other on line retailers are poised to start sending you stuff you didn't order, but their AI knew you would want.

If you feel better writing your Congress Critters to stop tracking you plane; go nuts, have fun. Unfortunately, you're tinkling into a gale, and it will do you as much good.

JMHO, YMMV.

Great Point! We should stop complaining about open ADSB data.

Also I missed the linked website where I can freely go and track others based on Onstar, google maps, Amazon, and credit card usage. I’m pretty excited about to get my hands on that freely available public info!

I know I can't get every single weed out of my lawn. Doesn't keep me from spraying Weed-B-Gone and the occasional squirt of Round-Up to keep them under control to the extent that I am able.

Great Point! We should stop complaining about open ADSB data.

Also I missed the linked website where I can freely go and track others based on Onstar, google maps, Amazon, and credit card usage. I’m pretty excited about to get my hands on that freely available public info!
Oh, I understand your feelings here... But if you really think that info isn't available easily to a bad guy, you're mistaken.

Most of them probably ain't smart enough, but there are those who do these things for grins and giggles. And, annually, they meet in mother Russia to share what they learn.

You know that smart cars can be hacked, right?

But don't mind me, I don't know about these things...

I know I can't get every single weed out of my lawn. Doesn't keep me from spraying Weed-B-Gone and the occasional squirt of Round-Up to keep them under control to the extent that I am able.
You're right, of course. That's why the professional protection agencies (ala Lifelock) tell you that "no service can track all transactions at all businesses" but will help you when they slip through their fingers.

Is this bad stuff freely available? Let's see, how many CC companies, Credit reporting agencies, hospitals, municipalities, have had information stolen from them? How long did they wait to report that? SS #s, DL #s, addresses, phone #s, all available on the dark web for pennies...

And, you're thinking they'll just track your flying habits 'cause Uncle Sam is not keeping you private?

Do what you wish... I don't think spraying this one weed is gonna help much, in the grand scheme of things.

You're right, of course. That's why the professional protection agencies (ala Lifelock) tell you that "no service can track all transactions at all businesses" but will help you when they slip through their fingers.

Is this bad stuff freely available? Let's see, how many CC companies, Credit reporting agencies, hospitals, municipalities, have had information stolen from them? How long did they wait to report that? SS #s, DL #s, addresses, phone #s, all available on the dark web for pennies...

And, you're thinking they'll just track your flying habits 'cause Uncle Sam is not keeping you private?

Do what you wish... I don't think spraying this one weed is gonna help much, in the grand scheme of things.
Do you lock your doors at night? Put the garage doors down? Lock your car when it's parked outside? Why, when anyone can just break a window and get in anyway?

You do show a remarkable knack for missing the entire point. I know I can pay a little and find out who owns a particular car or boat or house. What I cna't get is a live, real-time feed of exactly where that car or boat is at any moment, where it's been, when, how often, etc. But this has all been brought up several times already -- you seem to just choose to ignore it. Suit yourself, I'm not going to argue with you.

Great! Then please write or phone your Congressman!! This will never get fixed if we don't complain about it. The Pilot's Bill of Rights 1 and 2 would not have happened if we didn't complain to Congress.
d5539dd8a0c028cf9765094de990bff9.jpg

The Pilots' Bill of Rights would not have happened if a Senator didn't happen to land on a closed runway.

.... Suit yourself, I'm not going to argue with you.

Sorry, I didn't miss all of that. And I do understand what you're saying about "live feed." And finally, I didn't mean to be argumentative, much.

I just hold a cynical view of what any Congress Critter is going to do for such a small portion of their constituency. And, while real time live feed of everyone's whereabouts is not widely available now, it will be. Sooner than we like.

This is not a hill I choose to die on. I'm just trying to point out what I perceive to be "just another brick in the wall."

I don’t disagree with your points that there is “private” info like credit card info that can be hacked and it’s not longer private.

Can you agree that there IS a difference between data that anyone with a computer can easily access vs data that you have to find on the dark web that is historical and not current?

I’ll give you $50 if you can tell me where I used my credit card today. It should be easy for you to find that info on the dark web for pennies.

I don’t disagree with your points that there is “private” info like credit card info that can be hacked and it’s not longer private.

Okay, and more info, from hospitals, credit report agencies, schools, etc.

Can you agree that there IS a difference between data that anyone with a computer can easily access vs data that you have to find on the dark web that is historical and not current?

Yep. At least so far... Don't forget, cars on the move have been hacked.

I’ll give you $50 if you can tell me where I used my credit card today. It should be easy for you to find that info on the dark web for pennies.

At this time, I can't. But, if I had your card number, I could buy some gift cards, and sell em... Some have been used for thousands$ purchases... Protected from the card holder's liability by some issuers.

In a way, what you're asking for is a placebo. You'll feel better for a while, maybe. But it doesn't treat the systemic disease.

BTW, there's only 2 C-177s flying in the lower 48 right now. At least that have ADSB-out.

There's a 177 at one of my flying clubs that will be lucky to be airworthy by 2020, let alone ADS-B compliant, the way things are going. :(

There's a 177 at one of my flying clubs that will be lucky to be airworthy by 2020, let alone ADS-B compliant, the way things are going. :(
I really like two aircraft.. the C-177B and the Navion.

Short of a lottery win, I'll never own either. Given a win, I might buy both.

Thread drift.... Sorry.

I just hold a cynical view of what any Congress Critter is going to do for such a small portion of their constituency.
In that, my friend, we are in complete agreement. I hold a very cynical view of what any CC will do for ANYONE if it doesn't have a significant impact on their chances at campaign donations and positive media attention.

It is for this reason that I will let my local critter know my feelings on the matter... but I expect them to do precisely nothing.

Naw, I got bigger fish to fry.

I think we have lost any chance for privacy. If you get on Facebook, you are bombarded with ads of items you might have searched two weeks ago...cars, airplanes,ebay items, amazon, anything you can imagine...be careful where you search.

Delete your browser history - EVERYTHING - unplug the modem for 2 days, and when you log back on they won't know who you are - assuming you don't have a static IP.

I think we have lost any chance for privacy. If you get on Facebook
There's your problem right there.

Interesting thing happened just last night. My wife and I were watching TV, and she's on her tablet. Bear in mind, I'm not on FB, and never have been. I have a business trip coming up, and she wants to go along. Only the two of us know anything about it. On a whim, I decided to check out what AirBnB has in City X - using the browser on my locked-down corporate iPhone. We've never used AirBnB, never browsed their site, she's barely even heard of it. TWO MINUTES LATER, she has ads pop up on Facebook showing her AirBnB in City X.

Apparently it's based on the IP address, so beware... your spouse will probably know about any Christmas or anniversary gifts, surprise vacations, or chainsaws you may be checking out.

Delete your browser history - EVERYTHING - unplug the modem for 2 days, and when you log back on they won't know who you are - assuming you don't have a static IP.
Or get a VPN. I've had one for years.

There's your problem right there.

Interesting thing happened just last night. My wife and I were watching TV, and she's on her tablet. Bear in mind, I'm not on FB, and never have been. I have a business trip coming up, and she wants to go along. Only the two of us know anything about it. On a whim, I decided to check out what AirBnB has in City X - using the browser on my locked-down corporate iPhone. We've never used AirBnB, never browsed their site, she's barely even heard of it. TWO MINUTES LATER, she has ads pop up on Facebook showing her AirBnB in City X.

Apparently it's based on the IP address, so beware... your spouse will probably know about any Christmas or anniversary gifts, surprise vacations, or chainsaws you may be checking out.
One time we were having a discussion with some friends in a crowded, noisy bar, who were looking at property in Delaware. I've never been to Delaware, never searched for Delaware, never looked for property within 500 miles of Delaware. The next day I got a Facebook ad for not only property in Delaware, but in the exact development they were looking at. And my phone was in my jacket pocket 30 feet away from us the entire time we were in the bar.

That was when the myth that they aren't listening to absolutely everything we say or do through our phones disappeared from my mind.

Back