Tell me about being a CFI.

BTDT - I instructed about 800 hours a year on top of working another full-time job for too long. All it really did was turn my flying into work and burn me out on aviation.
I almost fell in that trap... I started teaching as a way to fly more, share my passion, and meet people while keeping my full time tech job. Next thing I knew I was flying close to 100 hrs / mo. I've since dialed it back and only work with 2-3 people at a time and 30-50 hrs per month.. but man that was a rough couple months!

I think my hesitancy there is I walked away from having an employer years ago
This will entirely depend on the employer, I started off teaching for the school that I did my commercial and CFI with. Helped a lot that my instructor left for a cooperate gig and also became a DPE. He handed off his student load to me when he left. Even then and ever since I have told them and all subsequent employers, I am only available morning, evenings and weekends as I have a "real" 8-5 kind of job. I pretty much do my own scheduling.

I have turned down working for any employer that requires I work for them exclusively, I have to much of my own clientele. I don't mind billing my time through the employer and let them have their cut in exchange for access to their facility, but I won't burn bridges with my clientele. My current employer had the exclusive requirement until they got tired of instructors staying for 6 months and then moving on. I have been with them for about 5 years now, they still have some instructors cycle through, but they also have a few of us part time instructors that have been there for an extended period of time, which works well as we can take over or keep students moving along when an instructor leaves.

My interaction with my Flight school employer is pretty much limited to them call me to ask if I want to contact a potential student and if I have time to take on a new student. Reporting Issues to Maintenance, and picking up a pay check. Once or twice a year they will ask me to complete some paperwork or training, Like TSA recurrency.

Working for a flight school at 1st is a great way to get started and to build clientele which often leads to referrals.

Brian
CFIIG

Most flight instructors are not real employees of the school but contractors that get a 1099. No benefits except maybe a discount on plane rental. Especially now with many schools loaded up with students there is/should be a limit to how they treat flight instructors.

Most flight instructors are not real employees of the school but contractors that get a 1099. No benefits except maybe a discount on plane rental. Especially now with many schools loaded up with students there is/should be a limit to how they treat flight instructors.
Not true at my current flight school or my previous two schools. Even as a part timer I have dental insurance and life insurance.

Not true at my current flight school or my previous two schools. Even as a part timer I have dental insurance and life insurance.
That's really interesting. I'm currently training to become a CFI and I know for a fact that two of the schools nearby I'm interested in working are 1099. I guess it's a good question to ask when looking for employment.

If you are totally in control of your schedule and can schedule at your leisure you are 1099.

If the flight school requires you to be at the airport at a certain time and for a certain duration, you are a W-2 employee.

A lot of times a flight school will claim 1099 status when W-2 is the reality.

BTDT - I instructed about 800 hours a year on top of working another full-time job for too long. All it really did was turn my flying into work and burn me out on aviation.
Yeah but why did you agree to fly 800 hours a year, especially with a full time job? Context matters.

Yeah but why did you agree to fly 800 hours a year, especially with a full time job? Context matters.
Well, I suppose because people needed teaching and I don't say "no" if I am able. I also started a flight school, had three rental airplanes, a few instructors, and a lot of students to keep track of. Did it until I felt like it was time to stop, sold all the planes, and never looked back.

I basically operated it like a not-for-profit club. We never lost money, but we never made money. Instructors charged the students whatever rate the instructor wanted and the instructor received 100% of the money. This made it not practical (no budget) to hire people to help with anything. I also didn't want to inject more money into the business (there are better businesses to fund).

If you are totally in control of your schedule and can schedule at your leisure you are 1099.

If the flight school requires you to be at the airport at a certain time and for a certain duration, you are a W-2 employee.

A lot of times a flight school will claim 1099 status when W-2 is the reality.

At my current school, I fly as much or as little as I want and whenever the students and I want. I’m not required to be there unless it’s for said scheduled lesson.
I’m W-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At my current school, I fly as much or as little as I want and whenever the students and I want. I’m not required to be there unless it’s for said scheduled lesson.
I’m W-2.

Same here. I find the absolutes being tossed around about 1099 vs. w-2 instructors here interesting, as they aren't even close to what my experience has been.

I’m W-2.
Likewise. I tell people that I am available full time for a part time job. I usually say yes to most requests, and can block off time on the schedule when I want or have to do something else.

Back