Ted's excellent adventure

I would have thought he'd fly much higher given all that H2O he has to go over.

I used to have those thoughts about water crossings as well, mostly because if we go high enough we can very nearly always glide to one shore or another over Lake Michigan. Given a little more thought though, you soon realize that if you're out over the big open water it doesn't matter if your at 16K or 6K you're still going to end up swimming so why not fly at the altitude in which your plane operates the most efficiently.

8000 was 5 knots slower than 6000. Guessing that the adverse winds increased from there.

I'd also guess he's pretty light, and can maintain altitude (if not climb) OEI. Changes the dynamic slightly.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Well he's now "Result Unknown" according to FlightAware. I'm thinking he didn't pay the right official when he got to CZM.

Well he's now "Result Unknown" according to FlightAware. I'm thinking he didn't pay the right official when he got to CZM.
No, I think that it's just that Mexico is outside the FlightAware service area, so they don't get the updates from them like they do from the FAA.

No, I think that it's just that Mexico is outside the FlightAware service area, so they don't get the updates from them like they do from the FAA.

C'mon, a Mexican jail is way more dramatic, than "I dropped off of FA, cuz I entered Mexican airspace"

C'mon, a Mexican jail is way more dramatic, than "I dropped off of FA, cuz I entered Mexican airspace"
Nah, he was shot down by an F-16 for trying to escape the US with a load of dope. Don't ya know, he has Long Hair! :)

Almost directly over the oil spill. I wonder how apparent it was from his altitude?

-Skip

Ok, nowhere near time for a trip report (and I've got another week to go), but a few answers:

1) The view IS beautiful

2) The Aztec is happiest at 6,000 ft in the summer, 7,000 if needed. It's the best compromise between speed (which doesn't change, if anything goes down) and CHTs (which go up). Plus the OATs, even in Mexico, were perfectly sufficient at that altitude. Why be higher? The engines will be unhappy, and the plane will fly on one engine at 6,000 feet maintaining altitude, at cruise power even (yes, I've tested it). I'm not gliding anywhere, especially in that thing.

3) No guts involved, just careful planning and good logic. The weather yesterday and today were beautiful, which we carefully checked before leaving. We have on-board radar. Even if we lost an engine half way, we could fly on one engine back to land (all calculated and tested in controlled conditions). I also spent the first 30 minutes on the outer tanks, then switched to the inners. Makes sure I don't get an uncomfortable distance across, switch tanks, and find a problem with the fuel there.

4) We didn't see any evidence of the oil spill, just a bunch of boats and a few oil rigs.

More later! :)

Ted's excellent adventure brought him to Colorado this evening. We had our own little adventure trying to find a restaurant...

attachment.php

Gary, Ted, Laurie and the Aztruck

attachment.php

Me, Ted, Laurie and the twin Cessna.

Attachments

• Gary, Ted, Laurie [800x600].JPG
    Gary, Ted, Laurie [800x600].JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Me, Ted, Laurie [800x600].JPG
    Me, Ted, Laurie [800x600].JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 113
"Twin Cessna" *chuckle*

Nice bunch, all of whom I have met, independently, through PoA.

Lucky to be us!

Glad to see everything's going well for you Ted!

Every one of my landings at IPT was a touch and go, so one of these days I'm going to have to make a full stop and see the Aztruck!

Glad to see everything's going well for you Ted!

Every one of my landings at IPT was a touch and go, so one of these days I'm going to have to make a full stop and see the Aztruck!

Good luck finding it there, better check flightaware first to see if he's in the country or in the region. :goofy:

So anyone know what this past week of flying has been about? To / From Mexico, To / From Colorado,... heading back to New Orleans yet today.

She's a trooper to be putting in all those hours in the plane with him. :thumbsup:

So anyone know what this past week of flying has been about? To / From Mexico, To / From Colorado,... heading back to New Orleans yet today.

She's a trooper to be putting in all those hours in the plane with him. :thumbsup:

What else Dogs. And whats Laurie a trooper for all the hours in the plane or all the hours with Ted?:wink2:

What else Dogs. And whats Laurie a trooper for all the hours in the plane or all the hours with Ted?:wink2:
Both :D

I knew it was dog related, didn't know if it was Vet Techs again, supplies, or the dogs themselves.

So what restaurant did you finally end up at?
Red Robin near Arapahoe and I-25. Our first choice, Perfect Landing had a 45 min wait. The Outback Steakhouse had lost power as had other restaurants in the area. Bennigans was out of business. There are lots of restaurants in the vicinity of KAPA it's just that I rarely go to any of them except possibly for lunch so I have trouble remembering exactly where they are. The group survived my driving too. I guess you are supposed to come to a stop when the stoplights are out. :redface:

Red Robin near Arapahoe and I-25. Our first choice, Perfect Landing had a 45 min wait. The Outback Steakhouse had lost power as had other restaurants in the area. Bennigans was out of business. There are lots of restaurants in the vicinity of KAPA it's just that I rarely go to any of them except possibly for lunch so I have trouble remembering exactly where they are. The group survived my driving too. I guess you are supposed to come to a stop when the stoplights are out. :redface:

There's also a Chilis not far, towards Lone Tree and a bunch around Park Meadows mall.

Why? Doesn't she know that you have a button fetish?:crazy:

Actually, the Mrs. gets into buttons in a pretty big way. Came home all excited having learned how to make them using silicon molds not that long ago. Uses them for her knitting.

(Why are buttons considered cute, anyways?)

Always figured it was a turn of phrase, never looked up the etymology.

There's also a Chilis not far, towards Lone Tree and a bunch around Park Meadows mall.
That's true about the restaurants around Park Meadows but we were looking for the closest place possible.

If I recall correctly... Ted beats out Laurie in lenght. Volume I think it's Laurie as Ted's hair's a bit limp and stringy. But depending on the Dogs they may have beat them both out. :cornut:

But nobody beats:

Attachments

• Rosie.bmp
    170.6 KB · Views: 1
Back