Tecumseh State Prison, Nebraska

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
http://journalstar.com/news/local/9...cle_24a22f73-b1da-5b29-9379-f8a17b3d7820.html

Sounds bad..Like they lost control of the prison around 2:30 PM for pretty much the entire day. They're not saying much of anything, and being incredibly vague, but prisoners making phone calls isn't a good sign.

Don't like to jump to conclusions, but the very careful wording from the corrections folks, makes it sound very bad...Several mentions of hostage negotiation team, etc, etc...

Hope they get it sorted out through the night..

Last edited:
The most dangerous individuals imaginable crammed into the minimum space possible overseen by the lowest common denominator being paid the lowest wage permissible. Gee, I wonder why they have occasional "problems".

smoke still rising from several small fires and prisoners still control "parts" of the prison according to the news.

The most dangerous individuals imaginable crammed into the minimum space possible overseen by the lowest common denominator being paid the lowest wage permissible. Gee, I wonder why they have occasional "problems".

But, hey, the prison industry is making a ton of money so what's the problem? :rolleyes:

A very broad brush stroke. Clearly you have never worked at a prison or know anyone who does. :rolleyes2:

Sounds pretty bad...outsourced prisons by any chance?

I have a friend thst is a guard. Makes pretty good money actually.

I have a friend thst is a guard. Makes pretty good money actually.

My mom was a prison guard for 14 years while holding a chemistry degree. During that time she got a BS in nursing while taking care of her chronically ill child that liked to spontaneously bleed with something as harmless as sneezing.

That's a working hero IMHO.

I dated a gal that ended up working as a prison guard that graduated with a BS in forensic science (single parent raising 1). She like the area and liked the idea of her kids growing up there. It was home. The prison is the largest employer.

Last edited:

I don't know about Nebraska, but here in California the "Correctional Officers" are all union and very powerful in state politics. The guards here are better paid than pretty much anybody working for the state. They make very good money and get whatever they want.

Our problem is over crowding. Too many prisoners and not enough room. Legalize marijuana and that will free up a lot of room. Second, they should actually help the percentage of convicts that actually do want to change their lives to get degrees, or learn trades and then have a half way house employment on the outside. The way it is now, pretty much everyone that gets released comes right back sooner or later.

I hope it gets worked out quickly. The longer something like that drags on, the worse the outcome seems to be.

I lived in Leavenworth, KS for a number of years. With the Federal pen, the US military prison, the State pen (just down the road - men's and women's prisons), there were plenty of folks employed in that industry.

Every now and then something would go wrong - but I only remember once when I was living there when it seemed like things might get out of control and that was at the military prison. They didn't waste any time, and with an "overwhelming force" of well padded and armed MPs they put that disagreement down with extreme prejudice. I was in high school and remember seeing the KC news reports on it, and hearing comments about the prisoners and how they were upset about a dress code or something (some guy didn't want to wear a t-shirt on a hot day - or something similar). That got local (KC, not Leavenworth) sympathy about how heavy handed the response was. Dumbasses.

Things still happen:
http://archive.marinecorpstimes.com...30306/13-inmates-charged-Leavenworth-uprising

Looks like in 1996 there was a t-shirt dress-code violation, too.

Last edited:
A few years ago there was a problem at the prison at Chino, California (the one in the movie Unchained). FAA issued a TFR, stating the reason, "to provide a safe environment for prison riot."

From WP:

While the United States represents about 4.4 percent of the world's population, it houses around 22 percent of the world's prisoners.

Many many prisons in the U.S. Are privately run. It's big business! To the point that one judge in penna. got a kickback for every one he convicted that was incarcerated. All this needs careful investigation.

From WP:

While the United States represents about 4.4 percent of the world's population, it houses around 22 percent of the world's prisoners.

Yep. The "war on drugs" is not doing anybody favors except those employed in the business of catching, convicting and incarcerating people. Hmmmm... America has a huge number of lawyers (many of whom become legislators and judges), a for profit prison industry and an ever increasing police force that is rapidly becoming a para military police force with questionable ethics. Could this be related to the prison population?

The whole "war on drugs" is antithetical to America's core founding beliefs of individual freedoms and live and let live. We used to rely on personal responsibility and societal pressure to do the right thing... or not and pay the price, but now the law is involved and they're making a lot of money off it. Much like the Military Industrial Complex.

It doesn't help that we have lost much of our manufacturing base and that there are now a lot of people walking around, under employed that would have previously been employed in a factory somewhere. Idle hands and depression lead to bad results. IMO, super cheap stuff at Wal Mart is partly to blame for our over stuffed prisons in a way.

Yep. The "war on drugs" is not doing anybody favors except those employed in the business of catching, convicting and incarcerating people. Hmmmm... America has a huge number of lawyers (many of whom become legislators and judges), a for profit prison industry and an ever increasing police force that is rapidly becoming a para military police force with questionable ethics. Could this be related to the prison population?

The whole "war on drugs" is antithetical to America's core founding beliefs of individual freedoms and live and let live. We used to rely on personal responsibility and societal pressure to do the right thing... or not and pay the price, but now the law is involved and they're making a lot of money off it. Much like the Military Industrial Complex.

It doesn't help that we have lost much of our manufacturing base and that there are now a lot of people walking around, under employed that would have previously been employed in a factory somewhere. Idle hands and depression lead to bad results. IMO, super cheap stuff at Wal Mart is partly to blame for our over stuffed prisons in a way.

Well said

Lots of low level drug dealers (entrepreneurs in their neighborhood) clogging the prisons. Just some kid from the hood. They become dangerous in prison out of sheer necessity to survive.
Treat it like alcohol. Legalize all of the street drugs, make them have to be purchased at a pharmacy, and tax it.. Let the percentage of the population that wants to turn their brains into tapioca and die after inhaling their own vomit, do so. It's a free country.
As soon as you do that more than half of the prison population will melt away.

Yeah I'm old. Yeah I'm conservative (boy am I) Yeah I don't give a sheet if you want to pizz your life away. Your choice.

Drug incarcerations account for 17% of the prison population as of 2012. The issue is a red herring. Most of those are large scale dealers who would probably be imprisoned for some other crime were it not drugs. The mantra that these people are being sentenced to prison solely because they smoked a joint is BS.

Lots of low level drug dealers (entrepreneurs in their neighborhood) clogging the prisons. Just some kid from the hood. They become dangerous in prison out of sheer necessity to survive.
Treat it like alcohol. Legalize all of the street drugs, make them have to be purchased at a pharmacy, and tax it.. Let the percentage of the population that wants to turn their brains into tapioca and die after inhaling their own vomit, do so. It's a free country.
As soon as you do that more than half of the prison population will melt away.

Yeah I'm old. Yeah I'm conservative (boy am I) Yeah I don't give a sheet if you want to pizz your life away. Your choice.

And people who want to ABUSE (not just use) drugs do that anyway.

But the govt will never allow them to be legal, frankly the war on drugs brings in way to much money and power for them to just give it all away.

Plus the real bad guys, the cartels who rack up the body counts, they don't want that ether, same reason as the government, think about that for a second.

Drug incarcerations account for 17% of the prison population as of 2012. The issue is a red herring. Most of those are large scale dealers who would probably be imprisoned for some other crime were it not drugs. The mantra that these people are being sentenced to prison solely because they smoked a joint is BS.

It is not a red herring. Nebraska is suing Colorado because of the extra cost of law enforcement and incarceration to the border counties of pot smuggling. Yet, Nebraska is on the verge of passing medical marijuana laws. :rolleyes:

How many more are in prison for property crimes committed to support a drug addiction ?

Back