TBO for a propellor

[QUOTE="Ted DuPuis, post: 2100240, member: 3654"Nor have the appropriately certified IAs who have signed off on the annuals informed me of documents to that nature (which is 3 shops with 7 A&P/IAs). As you correctly point out, I am not an IA, so I rely on the expertise of the IAs I employ in those areas..[/QUOTE]
I would bet given that, your props do not have any life limited items.

I would bet given that, your props do not have any life limited items.

So what else would you suggest I use to justify my lack of overhauling to the FAA and/or NTSB? As far as I can tell I'm operating within the letter of the law, and my IAs (who are completely independent from me) agree with my decision enough to sign their names on the annuals.

4000 hours, 50 years? Grease it, buff it, seal it and paint it. See you in another 500 hours.....

So what else would you suggest I use to justify my lack of overhauling to the FAA and/or NTSB? As far as I can tell I'm operating within the letter of the law, and my IAs (who are completely independent from me) agree with my decision enough to sign their names on the annuals.
If your props have no life limited items, then you are off the hook so to speak. you can treat then as any other component.

yer making stuff up Tom.....if a part is beyond it's life limits....it's out of limits. Period. :frown2:
over age = same thing. When any one uses a different word, you loose the concept or what?

Timed Out perhaps?

That typically refers to TBO.

LLPs are typically based off of hours and/or cycles. It depends on the specific part and what the primary fatigue mode is based off of and how the particular manufacturer chooses to design their life limits. In the turbine engine world (which is what I'm more familiar with) I've seen some based off of hours and some off of cycles. However, the life limits I was involved with all included a mission profile that was used in the life limit calculation, and then a particular unit (hours or cycles) was then published in Chapter 5 of the maintenance manual, which discussed life limits on the turbomachinery components. If the mission profile changed, then life limits could change. For example, on one particular engine line I was involved with that powered by bizjets and RJs, the bizjet life was significantly shorter than the RJ due to the different mission profile. Use of derated takeoffs also made an impact on life, and there were some engines that had insanely high cycle counts before needing an LLP shop visit compared to the fleet because of heavy use of derate. Startups and takeoffs were the hardest on the engine.

There are a couple of great YouTube videos on prop overhauls out there. I watched one about a week ago that specifically showed the entire process of overhauling a fixed pitch prop. I don't remember if it was a Sensenich or a Hartzell, but the process was much more that I ever had realized it was. And, it was pretty much all done by hand... I know the shop I used to deal with up in WA charged a base rate of about $375 to do it on a FP prop. That was probably about 5 or so years ago...

Back