Taylorcraft down California

This goes here:

This is another reason I prefer pipers... much harder to get sucked out of.

I wonder if that’s how @BrianY was able to extend his gear. Seems like a solid concept.

This goes here:

This is another reason I prefer pipers... much harder to get sucked out of.
OK, first of all, TJ got ripped off on those ashes. Not even close to a whole person worth. He just had, like, the ashes that get swept up off the floor of the ash factory.
Second, somewhere back in this thread someone commented on the lack of a starter - we can see that the engine started spinning on it's own once TJ stopped holding back on the yoke.

Well... I guess it's just that he's done such a bad job of faking the engine out parts of the video, it'd be weird if there weren't very obvious errors he'd made in the other parts if he was faking much of that as well. I realize he's done a lot of chopping and changing with the sequence and timing of parts of it, but if you look on Google earth you can find the bit where he follows the canyon down and gets stuck at the cliff. He may well be exaggerating the time taken in the video, but at the same time, I suspect hiking down from the crash site carrying your parachute is probably harder than it looks.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 'waaah I've got no water' thing wasn't true, but then at the same time he doesn't seem like the sharpest tack in the box, so I feel like he might also have decided that he'd be out of there in two hours and wouldn't need it.
What if your actual drop zone is in a clearing near a road where your buddy meets you with a four wheeler that you then drive to different locations to film, and the whole shebang is staged?

For those of you who watched the original video - did the dude give any tips on how to not lose the headset even after it gets blown off your head? I would hate to lose my David Clarks...

For guys like this one, and the pretend ditching off California, this is just a game. They want to get clicks and notoriety. Believe nothing they say. Review what they say only to look for internal contradictions. Realize you're being played.

Fiction is fiction

So, just a weird thought...was there anything really illegal about what he did?

I suppose that technically if you want to jump out of an airplane with a dead engine that's your choice to make but if during the investigation you so much as fib to the FAA or NTSB well, that's one of their pet peeves and you can most likely kiss your pilot's license goodbye. If he actually hired a helicopter to remove the wreckage that would seem to be an expense he wasn't counting on. I mean, what's he gonna do with a pile of scrap? Definitely not worth the cost of recovery unless he was told he had to get it out of there.

For those of you who watched the original video - did the dude give any tips on how to not lose the headset even after it gets blown off your head? I would hate to lose my David Clarks...

Given that he was unsuccessful in keeping his headset (along with its yellow 'Trevor Jacob' sticker) I'm not sure any tips he have would be of any use.

Wow this gift keeps on giving. Watch closely and you can see he's stashed a fire extinguisher under his right pantleg... because you know, standard equipment for skydiving.

You're right - there's certainly something in his pant leg - how do you know it's a fire extinguisher?

Given that he was unsuccessful in keeping his headset (along with its yellow 'Trevor Jacob' sticker) I'm not sure any tips he have would be of any use.
Bummer. In the clip from JustPlaneSilly, it appeared that he had managed to keep it.

Bummer. In the clip from JustPlaneSilly, it appeared that he had managed to keep it.
He managed to keep it for a bit. It was slapping around behind his head at first, but later you can see it gets dragged out above him and you can actually see the frame in which the cable finally untangles itself from him and is never seen again.

I guess if you want a free headset, check out the mountains north of Santa Barbara.

About what time in the video?
At 2:42 - on the web browser version of YouTube you can frame skip back and forth using , and . when it's paused.

https://imgur.com/YQE2iJx
YQE2iJx

Just slow the speed down to .25 as he leaves the plane, it's pretty obvious. This forum software is a little strict on posting images so it's not as simple as screengrabbing for you.

About what time in the video?
Just slow the speed down to .25 as he leaves the plane, it's pretty obvious. This forum software is a little strict on posting images so it's not as simple as screengrabbing for you.
Here are the main shots. Pretty obvious that he has two small red cylinders shoved up each pant leg. You can clearly see the gauge even, and towards the end you can just see the red bottom of the cylinder

https://imgur.com/a/HjfAsii

Wow I didn't realize he had two in there. Even more suspect. The unsecured fuel line in the cockpit makes me wonder if he was manually trying to empty it before his egress, to preserve the gopro footage after the crash. Bailing out without trying to restart "in a panic" gets harder to justify when you remember the selfie stick - as does flying your chute into the brush as opposed to the clear riverbed... but hey lets keep our fingers crossed he gets his due.

I also scoured the video frame by frame to get any sort of shot of the panel. This is the best one I found. Perhaps those of you with familiarity (@CaptainXap) with the Taylorcraft will see something interesting

https://imgur.com/a/5cxCtxr

Ive been doing the frame by frame shadetree investigation thing as well.
I didn't snag a panel shot that clear but in looking at most taylorcraft panels, the keys generally go up top left or top center in that panel
Can't tell if either of those 2 blobs are the keyhole.

Wow I didn't realize he had two in there. Even more suspect. The unsecured fuel line in the cockpit makes me wonder if he was manually trying to empty it before his egress, to preserve the gopro footage after the crash. Bailing out without trying to restart "in a panic" gets harder to justify when you remember the selfie stick - as does flying your chute into the brush as opposed to the clear riverbed... but hey lets keep our fingers crossed he gets his due.

wow. I watched the video a couple time after this first happened and didn't notice it. Sure looks like a fire extinguisher. A cylindrical container of some sort for sure. I did not notice the gauge that @Nate9191 mentions but I don't doubt it either. The guy was obviously well prepared for the off chance he would have an engine failure.
:D

I must be missing something. Why would he strap extinguishers on himself?

I must be missing something. Why would he strap extinguishers on himself?
I imagine the theory would be to put out any fires the crash might have caused. But that would assume being able to get to them before they became a raging wild fire.

I wonder if they could also be water bottles of some kind or a survival kit. Regardless, it was something he thought he might need after the crash.

I imagine the theory would be to put out any fires the crash might have caused. But that would assume being able to get to them before they became a raging wild fire.

I wonder if they could also be water bottles of some kind or a survival kit. Regardless, it was something he thought he might need after the crash.
You can clearly see that it's a bright red cylinder with a protruding tube and a round gauge. It's a fire extinguisher.

I also suspect he landed well after the plane crashed so he'd have the option to alter course and land near the plane if it caught fire and attempt to put the fire out.
1. to be a hero
2. to save his cameras

I also suspect he landed well after the plane crashed so he'd have the option to alter course and land near the plane if it caught fire and attempt to put the fire out.
1. to be a hero
2. to save his cameras
But that is why I do not understand why he did not deploy his chute upon exit. He seemed to freefall for awhile but maybe that was an illusion due to video editing. I don't know. What I do know is if I wanted to increase my chances of landing near the plane, I'd increase my time under canopy.

And as far as being a hero, it would be difficult to explain why you were carrying fire extinguishers to anyone you wanted to confer hero status on you. Though I guess he could always say they were in the plane and he grabbed them after getting to the crash. I just do not see any reasonably intelligent person believing him.

Those are pretty tiny canisters for doing anything except maybe putting out a flaming pancake on the stove…. Or incriminating yourself

Yeah I just grabbed them, stuffed each one carefully in my pant legs, then took hold of the selfie stick and bailed out… totally believable

1. to save his cameras
2. to pretend to be a hero in the hopes of getting more clicks on the video

I re-ordered the list to match what I think were his priorities, and made a minor edit.

Yeah I just grabbed them, stuffed each one carefully in my pant legs, then took hold of the selfie stick and bailed out… totally believable
it's so much worse though. it's really:
  • hey i just bought this airplane and told the owners i "had something special" i am going to do with it
  • i wore a full skydiving parachute
  • i documented literally everything except what i was doing with the panel (that camera was off and i at no point used my selfie stick camera to show that the ignition was on or anything)
  • i flew at an extremely high altitude given the aircraft, terrain, and route
  • there was an engine failure
  • i brought two fire extinguishers which i stuffed into my pant legs well in advance of the engine failure
  • i opened my door in advance of the engine failure
  • i made no attempts to find a suitable landing zone or try to see if i could make KIZA
  • i made no attempts to try and restart the engine
  • i made no attempts to try and communicate with anybody or issue a distress call (by cellphone, radio - did it even have a radio?)
  • i purposefully slowed the plane down so much as to stop the prop from windmilling
  • there was plenty of fuel
  • i bailed out within seconds of this supposed engine failure
  • instead of landing under chute in one of the many hospitable and flat areas, i intentionally chose rough terrain near the wreckage
  • i immediately went to the wreckage and retrieved my cameras
  • i made no mention of the many oddities that any pilot would surely be aware of in this video, such as choosing this newly purchased plane to fly to mammoth instead of the decent one i already owned, wearing a parachute, altitude, bailing without restart attempt, hiding fire extinguishers in my pants, hiking to the wreckage, landing in a poor location, making no attempts to contact anybody, etc...

wow that's pretty comprehensive... incredibly though it's not enough - you forgot the whole "removing the wreckage after the fact" angle ;)

Back