Taxiing into a hangar

There are people who have never started a car with a manual choke. Is this causing problems for people who don't how to start a car with a manual choke?
There are people who never drove a car with a manual throttle, e.g., knob on the instrument panel connected to the carburetor, in addition to accelerator pedal on the floorboards. Poor man's cruise control.

Only problem is, it worked backwards to an airplane throttle.....

When you think about it, fewer and fewer people are familiar with the automatic choke that replaced the manual one. Press the gas pedal all the way down before starting the engine, etc.

Wouldn't dream of trying to taxi my airplane out of the hangar. I'd blow stuff all around, and I'd have to shut down and climb out anyway to close the doors. Plus, the rails on the floor for the doors are tall, and awkward for my solid tailwheel to roll over. Have a sort of bridge I lay down before moving the airplane.

Ron Wanttaja

All risk, no reward.

Or never driven a car with 4 wheel drum brakes that get wet rendering the brakes very ineffective...
I drove an old Blazer through relatively shallow flood water when I was in collage, and when I came out I had nothing for brakes, even with the front disks. Fortunately I wasn't going fast, but I remember thinking "ok, this is a problem that I don't have an immediate reaction to."

So asking about anti-lock, I'm not suggesting I know it's a problem, or that the new generation is softer or whatever. I really don't know, and don't know if instructors teach it. Because with the choke, if you don't know how to use it you might not start the engine. Brakes are one of those things that it would seem good to know by instinct rather than memorized lists. Kind of like driving in the snow. You can read all the books you want, but you're not going to know how to do it until you do it. It's simple, it's quick to learn, but it requires a little bit of practice.

Manual transmissions have become an anti-theft device...
We still have our 2005 Honda Element 5 speed. It was handy back when we did mutant rodent relocation.

5369868491_ab46a0a9dd_z.jpg

Assuming it’s still running, in just a couple of years I hope to use it to teach our grandkids as they come of driving age.

As an aside, it serves as a de facto courtesy car at Copperhill, TN airport (1A3). Feel free to use it if you ever fly in - assuming you can drive a stick, that is!

We taxi in and out all the time at work, but our hangars were designed for that.

Long years back, we had a bird coming back from Holliman’s test range. He was running hard to beat a storm back. We started to get 60-80 mph winds as he was on final. The rain started pouring as he came off the main taxiway into out hangar row. We normally direct taxing birds while out on the taxi lane due to all the obstructions on the hangar side of the lane. Wheels called in on the radio and told us to stay inside the hangar and try to stay dry. He made the turn to come in the hangar at about 40 knots ground speed and blew through the shutdown procedures as he came into the hangar. We had the west doors closing before he got halfway in the hangar. East doors were closing as the ignitors shut off. An hour later we were out picking up fence, fence wire, chairs, water bottles and equipment carts that had been blown all over our side of the field. Next day we had to go out to our ordinance farm and restack all the stuff in it that had been blown over during the storm.

We taxi in and out all the time at work, but our hangars were designed for that.

Long years back, we had a bird coming back from Holliman’s test range. He was running hard to beat a storm back. We started to get 60-80 mph winds as he was on final. The rain started pouring as he came off the main taxiway into out hangar row. We normally direct taxing birds while out on the taxi lane due to all the obstructions on the hangar side of the lane. Wheels called in on the radio and told us to stay inside the hangar and try to stay dry. He made the turn to come in the hangar at about 40 knots ground speed and blew through the shutdown procedures as he came into the hangar. We had the west doors closing before he got halfway in the hangar. East doors were closing as the ignitors shut off. An hour later we were out picking up fence, fence wire, chairs, water bottles and equipment carts that had been blown all over our side of the field. Next day we had to go out to our ordinance farm and restack all the stuff in it that had been blown over during the storm.
What kinda plane was that?

There are people who have never started a car with a manual choke. Is this causing problems for people who don't how to start a car with a manual choke?
They probably don't know how to clean the vacuum tank or adjust the brake rods either.

I once read a great rant from over 100 years ago when they started installing thermometers on hot lines in an oil refinery. The old guys worried the young guys wouldn't learn to gage line temperature by how a spit of tobacco juice would sizzle on the hot line. Somehow, the industry grew past that limitation to eventually implement computer control of processes. I suppose with AI, the computer could observe the sizzle and estimate the temperature. Still need a human to chaw and spit...

Back