taxi for takeoff after landing, class-B

So what's so special about these Bravos?

Absolutely nothing. It is no harder than any other airport or airspace...except that controllers expect you to be 100% on you game and not a bumbling fool on frequency and comprehend rapid fire what they are asking for. They deal with professional jet jockies in rapid succession to make the flow work.

While I too am sometimes puzzled by the apprehension and would go into any airport and time, there are indeed plenty of pilots that are timid even talking to ATC on Flight Following let alone the rapid radio work sometimes requires at busier airports and airspace.

I don't think that's worse news, at all.

There is an inaccurate assumption that a pilot must and only hear “cleared into Bravo” to enter or fly Bravo VFR. You only need to receive an explicit “clearance” and that can take several forms...of which a takeoff clearance is one of them.
While I agree departing from a Class B primary is the one time it's safe to assume the clearance, insisting on "cleared into the Class Bravo" is not based on an "inaccurate assumption." Instead it's a SOP followed by many which prevents misunderstandings and discussions with Aviation Safety Inspectors.

As I mentioned, I have heard "Cleared into the Class Bravo" as part of my departure instructions when on the ground at a Class B primary.

1. If you're somewhat familiar with talking with approach around the MSP area whether on FF or something similar, then getting a clearance to enter the B by telling them what you want to do isn't that big a deal. It only is a big deal the first time or two until you get comfortable with the procedures and sequences.
2. Probably only 1 or maybe 2 approach freqs at most, then tower, then ground for a full stop. They will tell you what altitudes and headings to fly until cleared for a visual approach, have the ILS programed in so you can follow it down to the correct runway. Prep ahead of time is the key, be familiar with freqs, ILS freqs, runway numbers and taxiway markings and designations beforehand. Have a good airport diagram studied and accessible right in front of you.
3. Not that hard to figure out which runway is which with the ILS, and approach lights in view and a few landmarks beforehand.
4. That's where studying the airport chart beforehand is critical, and having it out in front of you while taxing, and someone familiar is most important. Your only going to taxi back from part way down the runway, not all the way from the far end. If you land on one runway and TO from another, there may be another ground and tower freq to deal with. If it's late at night and you talk to them beforehand with what you want to do they'll help hold your hand. Chances are that you'll be on 12R/30L near Signature, 4/22 is not used very often, so you can forget about that one.

It's like anything else, it's a big deal at first, then it becomes old hat after a while.

Can't disagree at all. I was just saying that there's nothing all that magic about landing there. Big long wide runways, I just don't see it as a challenge. Picket Grooms is a challenge I should pass up, I am not convinced my skills are up to bringing a Mooney in there. Only one way to find out...
Landing a mooney there doesn't look that bad. It would be getting back out that would worry me more.

While I agree departing from a Class B primary is the one time it's safe to assume the clearance, insisting on "cleared into the Class Bravo" is not based on an "inaccurate assumption." Instead it's a SOP followed by many which prevents misunderstandings and discussions with Aviation Safety Inspectors.

As I mentioned, I have heard "Cleared into the Class Bravo" as part of my departure instructions when on the ground at a Class B primary.

Correct that "Cleared in Bravo" and "Cleared as requested" are two phrases explicitly spelled out in the Controller Handbook and a sure bet for the pilot to listen for in any ambiguity, however the regs state that only a "clearance" is required which can indeed come in forms other than those two exact phrases.

§ 91.131 Operations in Class B airspace.
(a)Operating rules. No person may operate an aircraft within a Class B airspace area except in compliance with § 91.129 and the following rules:
(1) The operator must receive an ATC clearance from the ATC facility having jurisdiction for that area before operating an aircraft in that area.

A Takeoff Clearance is also a "clearance" from the ATC facility having jurisdiction. While hearing "Cleared into Bravo" as part of that takeoff clearance may indeed occur as a preemptive strike to the likely follow up question by the unsure VFR pilot, it would certainly not be a mandatory requirement to fulfill the compliance with the regulation which was the point I was trying to make...but yeah, nothing wrong with verifying if you are at all uncertain.

Last edited:
Well, guess what? Learning happened today. Nothing weird or unusual occurred, it was an ordinary, every day flight into controlled airspace. It wasn't even busy, I got a landing clearance 20 miles out, 18L because 5/23 was closed.

I still don't know the answer to the clearance vs taxi back question. We pulled off to the side of the GA ramp to regroup and reorganize flight notes, so we went back through CD on the way out.

I'm sure it's different when there's a lot of jets coming in and out, but other than planning the arrival time to avoid getting squeezed, it's simple.

I believe the answer to your question is that once you "taxi to the ramp" your clearance is expired. But you were not specific with what you are doing. T&G? Stop & Go? Taxi back for takeoff? For any of those I probably wouldn't try unless later at night. Like 10 pm.

I would just ask tower for the option. Your Bravo clearance will still be in effect for any of those three. Otherwise pay a visit to the FBO, get some gas and coffee, etc.

For obtaining Bravo clearance from the ramp there is a fairly standard radio sequence to use. You can probably find it online. If you can't message me your email address and I will send you what I use.

Well, guess what? Learning happened today. Nothing weird or unusual occurred, it was an ordinary, every day flight into controlled airspace. It wasn't even busy, I got a landing clearance 20 miles out, 18L because 5/23 was closed.

I still don't know the answer to the clearance vs taxi back question. We pulled off to the side of the GA ramp to regroup and reorganize flight notes, so we went back through CD on the way out.

Did they say "Cleared into the Bravo Airspace" as part of your take off clearance during departure?

Yes, but we were talking with Clearance Delivery. We didn't do a straight taxi back, we went to the GA ramp to reorganize, so we started at the beginning.

Back