Taxi and hold, er, position and, ah, cleared to go

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
This post originally started as a response to the thread about crossing the rwy during taxi. A bit long but I happen to think it is a good story. So sue me.

The first time this (taxi instructions to cross an active rwy) happened to me was on my taxi to 29L for my first solo to make the 3 customary landings. After my run up the tower told me to cross over to 29R, the parallel rwy. I asked them if I was cleared to cross the 29L and they said uh huh. I wasn't satisfied with that so I asked them again and this time they said yes. As I was taxiing 'tween the rwys they cleared me to position and hold 29R. I stopped before the hold short line and asked them if I was cleared to take the rwy. They said, yes, expedite. I had never heard those big words before so I responded with, ahhhhhhh. They cancelled my clearance to let big bird pass in front of me.

Now there's wake turbulence with another inbound so tower tells me to taxi for 29L. I'm half way through my turn when tower clears me on 29R and sidesteps the inbound to 29L. Sheesh, my head is gonna explode and I'm not even off the ground!

Normal take off expecting right turn in the patt and tower tells me left turn for 29L. T&G on 29L and tower switches me to 29R as I'm climbing out. Right turn to downwind and tower tells me to make a left 360. He doesn't say for spacing and I had not ever manuevered like that in the patt so I looked to my left and about that time figured out I should turn the a/c to the left--oh, I get it, I think. I'm making the 360 even though I'm wondering if I'm doing the correct thing and I'm expecting to meet head-on with following traffic; in fact, I had to fight the urge to turn back to the right and on course for the downwind. Tower clears me to land 29L and this one I catch him on. Tower comes back to my query and says disregard, cleared for the R. I should have stopped right there 'cause I made all 3 landings in one app. Back into the air I get--you guessed it--a left turn for 29L.

I clear the rwy and it occurs to me I did it! I really did it!!! To hell with my CFI, I'm going back out there. My senses got the better of me as I taxied to parking. My CFI and a bunch of other CFIs and students were howling with laughter asking me what the heck was I doing out there. I started to explain and they said they knew because they had listened on the handheld. Andy Stone, CFI thought it especially funny that I wouldn't dare cross 29L for my 1st takeoff until about 3 or four calls were made for clarification. That is when I decided I don't care what anybody says, if in doubt, I'm asking before moving.

Remember, the largest loss of life in an aviation disaster was a rwy incursion in which both pilots thought they were doing the correct thing.

Excellent story. Oh, if only the tower knew when they had new guys on their own. . . .

wangmyers said:
Excellent story. Oh, if only the tower knew when they had new guys on their own. . . .
Silly thing, I know, but I always found it so distasteful to say I was a student pilot, I felt like I was confessing I wasn't a real pilot. Sure would've helped though.

Richard said:
Silly thing, I know, but I always found it so distasteful to say I was a student pilot, I felt like I was confessing I wasn't a real pilot. Sure would've helped though.
LOL--I never did it. Like most men, I prefered to seem in control over actually being in control!

Henning said:
They know...
It had already occurred to me that my CFI had called the twr and asked for 'The Works' for his student so when I got back to the ramp I was looking to pound on somebody. All steadfastly denied making the call to twr.

Richard said:
It had already occurred to me that my CFI had called the twr and asked for 'The Works' for his student so when I got back to the ramp I was looking to pound on somebody. All steadfastly denied making the call to twr.

Sure glad we don't have parallel runways at OLM. The tower gets their jollies out of students in other ways. I think they're still laughing from my first radio transmission, and that was 5 years ago. :D Much smoother today while I was playing in the pattern with the Arrow.

Back