Taxes

the calculation, the payment of, or just .....philosophically speaking?
Nvm. I am with you.

Use the short form:

1) How much money did you make?
2) Send us most of it.

Married filing jointly, part year pro-rated foreign income exclusion, business income + other stuff. Fun way to spend half a day (but beats the cheapest tax prep quote of $1500!), and looks like $2k coming my way.
Still sucks.

Ohio is shaking me down for taxes and I don't even live there... They tax our income at the city level if you happen to work in one of their cities.

My taxes next year will include Federal, home state, and Ohio city tax.

What's even better is I have to pay Arkansas income tax myself. My airline doesn't want to file the paperwork to pre tax my pay checks.

We haven't done them ourselves for years. Give it to an accountant. Life is too short and my time is too precious.

Ohio is shaking me down for taxes and I don't even live there... They tax our income at the city level if you happen to work in one of their cities.

What's even better is I have to pay Arkansas income tax myself. My airline doesn't want to file the paperwork to pre tax my pay checks.

You should be able to reduce your AR taxable about by the Ohio amount though. The income wasn't earned in AR so they have no claim to it as Ohio wants that pound of flesh.

You know you've "made it" when, after withholding at the highest rate, you still have to write a four or five figure check.

If you fly out of Cincinnati, tell them to pound sand--it's in Kentucky. For other Ohio airports, you're just hosed. When I lived in Columbus, they were trying to figure out how to tax visiting hockey teams . . .

Kansas City has a 1% "earning tax". It's paid by anyone that is a resident of the city, or works in the city. Conveniently, both Arrowhead Stadium (Chiefs) and Kauffman Stadium (Royals) are in the city limits. When the Yankees or Patriots come into town, KC gets to collect 1% of each game salary from all the players.

I used to have to pay that, a place I used to work was inside KC limits. That operation has now moved just outside the city limits, so all those employees that don't actually live in the city don't have to pay that 1% anymore.

I've used H&R Block at home for many years, just answer the questions. Used to owe every year but since the wife quit working we've gotten a decent refund ;)

I remember when I was a kid, my dad used to have this large folding table he would set up every year and it would be covered in papers. My mom would tell me to leave him alone for the next week because he'd be in a bad mood.

He used to do the taxes... for the farm mind you so lots of stuff to track and consider manually. No software, no accountant. He just had the blank forms, instruction booklets, notebooks, pens, and a basic calculator. I can't even imagine...

Then the year my mother died after a long battle with cancer he got audited... basically because while all that was going on he wasn't exactly focusing on the paperwork. A few years later he got into a huge fight with them because they lost a check he sent and wouldn't accept the copy of the canceled check that someone cashed as proof. Turned out to be some huge case of fraud carried out by a company the IRS had contracted out to process returns.

After years of doing returns by hand and these incidents(not to mention further and further jaw dropping as to what he had to pay each year) he became a man on a mission. Every time he met a new person the first thing he said after "hello" was "Have you heard about the bill before congress to eliminate the IRS and replace it with a federal sales tax?"

I got introduced to tax returns at a young age too... at some point he decided this tax prep software might be a good way to go. The only problem was he was completely computer illiterate. So I spent many grueling hours as a child every year for a few years sitting in front of a computer trying to explain to my dad why we weren't to the part of the program where you enter the thing he was wanting to enter yet and both of us getting angry and yelling at each other.

Now here I am and my father is gone. 3 years gone and I've only recently finished wrangling(I hope) with that horrible monolith of an agency over his estate... and currently await the long overdue refund they owe me.

I cannot properly articulate the degree to which I hate the IRS. I'd go on the same quest my father did but I just don't believe it will go anywhere. Most people don't have the record keeping and reporting burden I deal with. Most people don't file quarterly and they get refunds. They have maybe 5 or 6 pieces of paper to hand the $50 1hr tax preparer and they're done. Most people just have no clue how much this can suck. I'd say more but I can't without getting political so I'll leave it there.

Back