Taxes on my commercial flight

I am not the one who you quoted....that would be JOhnH. I just jumped in to clarify with a bit of math.

Go look earlier in the thread. He said "800NM (1,600RT)" as you quoted. OP shows a commercial flight at $485 round trip. JOhnH is saying a comparable round trip in this Bonanza would be $675 in fuel alone.

Sorry about that.

This is my point exactly. Delta loses $12 billion but still wants to grossly overcharge their best customers for the exact same product that their worst customer can buy for 1/4 the price.
That's just supply and demand. Last minute fares are always high, especially on small airplanes that fill up quickly.

You can get a one-way SLC-BOI later today for as low as $286 with connection or $359 non-stop. Round-trips, leaving today, start at $459.

$700+ fares indicate a day where everything was pretty much full.

Then again, sometimes last minute deals pop up because they still have empty seats they want to fill. Flew to Mexico 4 months ago dirt cheap. Booked the flight on a Wednesday, left Friday, 1/3 of normal price. So depends on the situation. Also got a smoking last minute deal on our accommodations. In 2018 took a last minute deal on a flight/cruise package, 65% off the normal price because they wanted to fill the boat.

That's just supply and demand.

$700+ fares indicate a day where everything was pretty much full.

Nope. The seat map was wide open. Even if you considered half the seats blocked off for social distancing, there was plenty of availability. It’s just Delta thinking here’s a guy that probably doesn’t have a choice so lets really overcharge him. I’ll still buy those tickets from time to time just like I still buy fuel from Signature every once in a while, but It sure doesn’t make me happy about it and my overall spend with Delta is less than it could be. In a new world where Zoom is a much more viable alternative than it ever was, overcharging your best customers because they have no choice is probably a suboptimal strategy.

Reactions: YKA
Nope. The seat map was wide open.
Basic Economy fares can't select a seat in advance. With very little business travel right now the percentage of BE fares is way up. Many of those seats available for assignment were already sold. The seat assignments are handed out at the airport.

It’s just Delta thinking here’s a guy that probably doesn’t have a choice so lets really overcharge him.
Then why was today's walk-up fare so much less expensive? The difference is demand.

Walk up fares in my experience were usually the cheapest...better to put a body in the seat cheap, than leave it empty. When my mom suddenly died, I just drove to the airport, no baggage, barely made it on the flight, they rushed me through security and I ran. When i looked afterwards, they charged me $150, for a flight that normally sold for $570.

Basic Economy fares can't select a seat in advance. With very little business travel right now the percentage of BE fares is way up. Many of those seats available for assignment were already sold. The seat assignments are handed out at the airport.

Then why was today's walk-up fare so much less expensive? The difference is demand.

I really don’t think that was it. Just looked at a 1/29 round trip. Cheapest ticket is $711. Every flight has that price. I’m sure someone has the ability to actually look at sold seats for those flights but I don’t know how. I’m dropping my plane off for annual in Boise that day and have a one way booked back. I’ll report back on how empty or full the flight is.

I really don’t think that was it. Just looked at a 1/29 round trip. Cheapest ticket is $711.
flight.google.com is showing SLC-BOI-SLC round-trips on Delta starting at $382 departing 1/29. Same price for BOI-SLC-BOI departing on 1/29.

Google rates that fare as "High" saying, "The least expensive flights for similar trips to Salt Lake City usually cost between $165–335" which doesn't seem to indicate that your $711 fare is common on the route.

Are you buying one-way? The one-way fare is $359. That would be $718 if you bought two one-ways. Buy a round-trip. Book the return on the day that you will most likely be going back to pickup your airplane. If you have to change it, then change it or abandon it. There are no ticketing rules which say that you have to have your itinerary 100% assured before you book a round-trip or that your plans can't change after you book. The ticketing rules only prohibit knowingly booking something other than what you intend to travel in order to circumvent the restrictions on the fare you are booking.

I really don’t think that was it. Just looked at a 1/29 round trip. Cheapest ticket is $711. Every flight has that price. I’m sure someone has the ability to actually look at sold seats for those flights but I don’t know how. I’m dropping my plane off for annual in Boise that day and have a one way booked back. I’ll report back on how empty or full the flight is.

That seems like an extremely high price to say the least.

flight.google.com is showing SLC-BOI-SLC round-trips on Delta starting at $382 departing 1/29. Same price for BOI-SLC-BOI departing on 1/29.

Google rates that fare as "High" saying, "The least expensive flights for similar trips to Salt Lake City usually cost between $165–335" which doesn't seem to indicate that your $711 fare is common on the route.

When I search google flights, this is what I get:

Attachments

• 992748F4-A7D9-4768-8F4E-703FFADECE40.png
    992748F4-A7D9-4768-8F4E-703FFADECE40.png
    211.4 KB · Views: 9
Bus? Rent a car? It isn't very far at all.

Screenshot_20210125-092955_Chrome.jpg

Back