Tapatalk...?

TheTraveler

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
TheTraveler
Umm...looks like Tapatalk just went crazy. Updated itself or something. One minute I'm reading, then the app closes, I reopen it, and everything is different.

Anyone else expeirience this?

Not yet. ...

Not yet. ...

Not yet. ...

Not yet. ...

:)

There was an update. I downloaded it just to see. Totally new interface. Those who dislike change won't like it but I think I have it figured out.

I don't like the new interface either.

If you download Tapatalk HD for iPad, it's still similar to the old version. Not the same, but closer than the new garbage.

Just learned a workaround. If you delete it, turn off the auto-update on your device, then connect to your PC and install through iTunes without updating the app in iTunes, you can get the old version back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Although I have more or less figured it out I agree that this version of Tapatalk is a FAIL. Why all the wasted space? And I used to be able to mark individual threads "read" without opening them with just a swipe. I can't see how to do that any more. Yes, I don't read everything...

The new version takes some getting used to. I like the font better; it makes it easier to read and looks nicer. I'm not so sure I'm a fan of the new navigation system, though. I'm still playing around with it but so far I think I like the old version better. At least it isn't crashing on me every time I open it now.

I downloaded it yesterday. instantly hated it. used it a bunch yesterday and today, don't hate it as much. it's not great but there are a few things that work better for me than the old version. I'll get used to it, then like it, then hate the next version as well until I get used to that.

New interface wastes screen space with banners that have the topic in them for every post. New font is good. Banners bad.

It's like UI designers just completely forget the whole point of a list of posts is to scan as many of them on the screen as possible to determine which ones you want to read.

Give a UI designer a way to waste screen real estate, they'll always do it. "But it looks prettier!" Yeah, and you destroyed the whole purpose of the list, moron.

Oh and they removed the automatic jump to the latest unread post in partially read threads, it would appear. That or the upgrade trashed the metadata to track it. Grrr.

And they removed the ability to mark a topic read from the unread screen. These idiots really know how to trash a UI.

And they removed the ability to mark a topic read from the unread screen. These idiots really know how to trash a UI.
I noticed that right away since I did it a lot when using the other UI. I thought maybe I was missing something.

5094043e7eeba2b044aed6f83cb4d1fe.jpg

Also, what is this picture? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with POA.

I saw a lot of pictures on the old version on the page with the 4 squares for the most active forums that didn't seem to have any relevance at times to POA. I wonder if they're randomly generated by the app or if the admins can somehow set the pictures.

I saw a lot of pictures on the old version on the page with the 4 squares for the most active forums that didn't seem to have any relevance at times to POA. I wonder if they're randomly generated by the app or if the admins can somehow set the pictures.
Ever since I updated the app I get this picture for POA. I am sure none of the mods selected it.

Kinda makes me want to travel there, wherever it is, but it has nothing to do with aviation.

Ever since I updated the app I get this picture for POA. I am sure none of the mods selected it.

Kinda makes me want to travel there, wherever it is, but it has nothing to do with aviation.

It's Greece and used to be the startup picture on TravelAdvisor. I'm not sure why it would show up on Tapatalk. I'm using the HD version on my iPad so I haven't seen any of these updates.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The app works fine on my phone but crashes as soon as i open a thread on my ipad. Sort ot out tapatalk! The EAA forum removed tapatalk access because of issues also.

It's getting easier for me to use the more I use it.

I am thankful for this thread. Now I know not to update Tapatalk.

Does anyone get the impression that the developer never uses the product in the way that we do?

Hideous UI. Incredible waste of precious screen space. For an app designed to show information, it is a step backwards.

I've used it both on the iPhone and iPad now (same updated version on both devices) and I still like the old version better. As I mentioned before, I like the font on the new version but that's about it. They've made it far more difficult to navigate between the forums than in the old version. As others have mentioned there is a large waste of screen space as well.

I hope in future updates they improve this. However, all that being said, Tapatalk is still nice to use over having to use Safari, even on the iPhone 6+ and its bigger screen.

Wait....people actually use tapatalk!? This whole time I just thought it was spam!:dunno:

Tapatalk was the ONLY way I enjoyed this forum.

Now, I'm back to the website. Wow, I've never seen an app commit suicide before!

I'm using Tapatalk now. It's still better than the website on a phone.

I haven't updated in quite awhile ... Using 4.6.2 on Android (4.10.2 is current) and will stay here.

(I don't and won't auto-update anything, seldom seeing the need to fix things that ain't broke.)

Should see the uproar on the actual Tapatalk forums.

Not a single representative of Tapatalk even bothering to respond either. Which they usually do there.

By the way, if you back up to iTunes, the old version will be in your library until the download boots it to the trash folder. You can restore it both to the iTunes library and iOS devices.

Which is what many are doing per the above forum.

Just sharing. Im not going to fight the auto update methodology but it can be done.

I've already accepted and adapted to the new way on Tapatalk. I posted on their forum to see if I could get an answer to the "mark read" question but there was obviously not one forthcoming.

Tapatalk is dead to me now. If it isn't fixed, I'll delete.

Me, too.

The only other almost-as-disastrous app update I can recall was something called "Social Flight". In one update, they went from my go-to app for fly-ins and airshows, to being unusable and eventually deleted.

Tapatalk was as close to perfect as I had seen in an app. It's hard to believe that there is any intelligence behind this update.

Is there any alternative to Tapatalk?
Not that I know of. Despite the new UI it's still easier to use than the website on a phone.

I noticed that on the Tapatalk POA home screen under the forum drop down menu that sometimes it will show the most popular forums at the top and other times you have to go into the category and then it has another drop down with the forums in that category. Has anybody else noticed this?

While I don't use it, Forum Runner is a much better option, if for no other reason than it doesn't spam you with popups if the administrators are dumb enough to install it.

(with no direct offense intended to Jesse et. al, as I know they only installed at a request from those who were dumb enough to request it).

Back