Tank Top Propane Heaters

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
Karen and I were just at Harbor Freight with a bunch of coupons and scored one of these:

49240137142_bc0bf75f95_z.jpg

The idea was to warm up our unheated hangar a bit when working out there in the winter.

Now we see that it’s for outside use only, not for homes or garages, even with windows open.

Did we completely get the wrong thing, or would this be OK with proper precautions - CO and propane detectors, let’s say. Or is there another type of propane heater that would be usable in a hangar? We can easily return this one.

Finally, it says not to use it on a propane tank larger than 20 lbs. Why would that be? We just bought a 40 lb cylinder for use with a generator, and had thought to use that.

Thanks - just trying to avoid killing myself.

I'm not advocating YOU using it against instructions, but I use one in my hangar all the time, as well as in a large party tent at deer camp.

If you've not used one before be careful with how close you put things to it. They will damage things on the reflected heat side farther away than most people think. It's also easy to stand to close and melt your jacket as you don't feel the heat thru the jacket in time especially if you are doing something causing you to back up towards it.
I use one "inside" a metal shop building, but it gets plenty of ventilation and has not been an issue. YMMV..............
The no indoors even with the windows open may be because propane will be heavier than air and head for the floor if it's leaking. Also the CO if it's not burning properly will be heavier than air and may build up below the "open windows".
AS mentioned above not suggesting YOU do it, but never been a problem here.
Que the line of folks to tell us we are going to die.

I use one like that occasionally in my 2 car garage. On a 30 pound tank.

I heated my 20x20 office area with one for most of the first winter we lived here, while I was finishing it out. I didn't die. The biggest issue was the moisture until I got a dehumidifier in there. In a drafty hanger that shouldn't be a problem.

Radiant heat works if you're in front of it or in a small space. Not so good in a large space. Maybe look at a small torpedo heater with battery built in. I use one to do the initial heat-up of my remote cabin. Awesome tool! I have both types. Neither puts out enough CO to worry about in an average space. I use the 2 burner radiant in my snowmachine trailer when winter camping.

I think mine is by Heat Star but this is what I googled up. Similar.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-68000-BTU-Portable-Forced-Air-Propane-Heater/1000342159

Last edited:
Now we see that it’s for outside use only, not for homes or garages, even with windows open.

Did we completely get the wrong thing, or would this be OK with proper precautions - CO and propane detectors, let’s say. Or is there another type of propane heater that would be usable in a hangar? We can easily return this one.

Finally, it says not to use it on a propane tank larger than 20 lbs. Why would that be? We just bought a 40 lb cylinder for use with a generator, and had thought to use that.

Thanks - just trying to avoid killing myself.

They just want to avoid that someone kills themself and their 5 kids using one of their heaters run overnight in a confined space.

I used to use a propane torpedo heater in my garage. Just firing it up with out having it sucking the outside air would trip the CO detector in a pretty short time even with a door cracked. Having it set where it held the door part way open and it was sucking outside air didn't trip the CO detector.

Radiant heat works if you're in front of it or in a small space. Not so good in a large space. Maybe look at a small torpedo heater with battery built in. I use one to do the initial heat-up of my remote cabin. Awesome tool! I have both types. Neither puts out enough CO to worry about in an average space. I use the 2 burner radiant in my snowmachine trailer when winter camping.

I think mine is by Heat Star but this is what I googled up. Similar.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-68000-BTU-Portable-Forced-Air-Propane-Heater/1000342159

Speaking of torpedo heaters...I very nearly killed myself as a teenager with a diesel fired one. Ran it most of the day in an insulated 2 car garage. I started feeling a little dizzy, and when I tried to get up off the creeper I discovered I couldn't stand. Crawled through snow the 200' or so to the house. I got real, real lucky that I decided to get out when I did. I'm guessing another 10min and i wouldn't have been able to.

I've use both kerosene and propane heaters in my garage workshop, and I'm still completely normal.

I've used both kerosene and propane heaters in my garage workshop, and I'm completely normal.

I've used booth kerosene and propane heaters in my garage workshop, and I'm completely normal.

I've usedd booth kerosene and propane heaters in my garage workshop, and I'm completely normal.

I've usedd booth keroosene and propane heaters in my garage workshop, and I'm completely normal.

We use one in the hangar where the youth build takes place

I've used both the tank top heaters and torpedo heaters in my garage and hangar. The garage can get pretty warm with 30K BTU's, but the hangar, well, you need a lot more. I still run the torpedo (30K BTU) for about 10-20 minutes before I start a work session in the garage during the winter. BUT, I have it on good authority that Santa is bringing me a blue flame propane heater for Christmas. It doesn't require electricity and doesn't produce meaningful amounts of CO, so it is much better for my situation. Also, if we lose power, I could use it inside the house.

I used to use a propane torpedo heater in my garage. Just firing it up with out having it sucking the outside air would trip the CO detector in a pretty short time even with a door cracked. Having it set where it held the door part way open and it was sucking outside air didn't trip the CO detector.

I have no personal experience to relate. but a former mechanic told me that he had previously used a kerosene torpedo heater in his maintenance hangar. He said he quit because it made him somewhat sick all the time.

Dave

The problem is CO - Carbon Monoxide which is odorless, heavier than air. Many here have used the propane heaters without losing their life. Are you feeling lucky? Since there is a risk, why not get a CO detector for added assurance? Get the 110v powered kind. They are cheap when your life is at stake.

Mount it low where the CO will collect. -Skip

I use a kerosene torpedo heater in my 2.5 car garage. PLENTY of ventilation necessary...leave the garage door to one stall at least 1/3 of the way up, and then a regular human door propped open on the other side of the garage. It works, keeps me warmer, but it's noisy and I only bother with it when it's bitter cold oit. Usually, a sweatshirt/jacket and the frustration of whatever I'm working on keeps me warm enough,

The problem is CO - Carbon Monoxide which is odorless, heavier than air. Many here have used the propane heaters without losing their life. Are you feeling lucky? Since there is a risk, why not get a CO detector for added assurance? Get the 110v powered kind. They are cheap when your life is at stake.

Mount it low where the CO will collect. -Skip

That's good advice. CO is produced by incomplete combustion of propane, so I think you'll find that a properly functioning propane heater doesn't create a significant risk of CO poisoning, but a risk is still a risk . . .

CO is produced by incomplete combustion of propane, so I think you'll find that a properly functioning propane heater doesn't create a significant risk of CO poisoning,
What can (and does) happen is that as the O2 level drops, even a properly functioning system will start generating CO. With an air fuel feedback system (like an automobile), it can compensate for the lower O2 up to a point, but eventually even that falls short. (And, yes, I have run that test with a thoroughly instrumented vehicle.)

I wouldn't even think of using a combustion heater in a semi-enclosed space without a CO alarm. (Yes, I've set mine off...) Or, using a heater with a low O2 sensor.

What can (and does) happen is that as the O2 level drops, even a properly functioning system will start generating CO. With an air fuel feedback system (like an automobile), it can compensate for the lower O2 up to a point, but eventually even that falls short. (And, yes, I have run that test with a thoroughly instrumented vehicle.)

I wouldn't even think of using a combustion heater in a semi-enclosed space without a CO alarm. (Yes, I've set mine off...) Or, using a heater with a low O2 sensor.

Another good point.

I have to admit I've been a little cavalier about monitoring CO levels and using the heater in my garage, so I ordered a couple of plug-in detectors today.

Another good point.

I have to admit I've been a little cavalier about monitoring CO levels and using the heater in my garage, so I ordered a couple of plug-in detectors today.

I'm headed to Home Depot in a few to score some as well.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Back