Tank switching

I wonder about the prudence of the Owner's Manual switching from an intentionally dry tank, likely done to maximize the range. Should the other line will not deliver, then you are suddenly in an overweight glider. Not having the option to switch back would suddenly transform the "oh crap" moment to an "oh sh**" moment. :hairraise:

Well, if you don't burn close to all the fuel out of the tank, as you near your max range point, your fuel will be spread out in all the various tanks.

I wonder about the prudence of the Owner's Manual switching from an intentionally dry tank, likely done to maximize the range. Should the other line will not deliver, then you are suddenly in an overweight glider. Not having the option to switch back would suddenly transform the "oh crap" moment to an "oh sh**" moment. :hairraise:

More of an issue when you have 5 fuel tanks.

Brian

The last plane I flew with multiple tanks, SOP was to run the outboards dry, then switch to the inboards. Never once had an issue with it.

The oldie sop is to run 30-45 minutes on left, the 30-45 minutes on the left. If the need to pee is not big enough, switch back to the left, flip both transfer pumps and repeat. Peeing in a bottle is usually required next..

I usually don't switch tanks if my flight is under a couple hours. Since I am not in high density altitude and not near max weight I am full tanks in the 172/177/182 that I fly. The 172 is labeled to one tank operation above 5K but the vented tank caps took care of that issue, at least I haven't had a issue with it. Any flight over 2 hours I switch hourly when close to a suitable emergency landing area (ie airport). For some reason the Cardinal I fly with be within a half gallon in a two hour flight between tanks. One of the few Cardinals to be that close. I say that after talking to many Cardinal owners.

The POH for my Cherokee 180 says when starting with full tanks, run the first tank for an hour, then the second tank for 2 hours. then back to the first tank for an hour. Then you will have 30 minutes of fuel left in both tanks. Hour long flight I don't change, longer I note the time and use a timer. My garmin 296 sends me a reminder too, I keep it on my co pilot yoke. I will foreflight would had a timer. I did ask about it...

I've got my GNS530W programmed to give me an "OPS CHECK" reminder every 30 minutes. In addition, checking tank status is part of my approach checklist.

I fly 30 minutes on the first tank, then an hour on the 2nd one, then another hour on the first one, and another hour on the second one. That leaves me with a full hour of fuel left in the first tank and a half hour left in the second tank.

It also keeps the fuel imbalance to 30 minutes at most and requires fewer tank changes than an every half hour approach.

I start on the left tank in my S Bonanza. After 30 minutes I switch to the right tank. I then switch every hour which keeps me within 30 minutes of a balanced aircraft. Also, I know the fuel burn on the right tank (level cruise at X gals per hour). If I am pushing beyond 4 hours of endurance, I will run the left tank dry before switching to the known remaining amount in the right tank. Because of the climb out, I am just estimating the remaining fuel in that left tank.

I switch when the wing seems a bit heavy. I have aileron trim, and the trim adjust is good reminder that a wing is getting heavy.

Start on left(always on Bo), about an hour, switch to right for a while till it's fairly even, then drain the aux tank dry, then back left, and then right and drain it dry if I'm going that far which is rare.

Back