Tanis heater and extension cord size..

fiveoboy01

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dirty B
I know that the heavier the gauge and the shorter the cord, the more current it can carry. I didn't think the difference was so profound though.

100 foot 16 gauge cord vs. a 50 foot 10 gauge cord? 25 degree temp difference at the cylinder head after being plugged in overnight.

In my defense, the long skinny cord was all I had until I could get to Home Depot for a better one:D

Anyways, today's lesson, don't skimp on the heater cord!

Power Connection​
Shore power and connection (extension cord), are the responsibility of the operator. 230-​
volt systems are supplied with receptacle plug adapter (TP02829-230), for field installation​
on extension cord supplied by operator. Extension cord is to be in good condition and of​
adequate gauge to carry the total current draw of the system. A wire gauge of at least 16 is​
recommended for an extension cord 50 feet or less in length (Table 1). A cord exceeding​
100 feet is not recommended; if in doubt, use the next heavier gauge. The smaller the​
gauge number, the heavier the cord. Note that an undersized cord will cause a drop in line​
voltage and loss of power, along with possible overheating of the cord.

http://www.tanisaircraft.com/piston-preheat/tsp6cyl-2927-115.html

I always had good luck with 100 ft of 12 gauge.

It's important to remember current draw but also voltage drop due to length on smaller gauge cords. For a straight resistance heater voltage drop will reduce the output. For motor loads you can burn up the motor with low voltage. Even if your load is acceptable for 16 gauge, never run 100' or more. Use 14 or even 12.

John

At 4 amps you can go a long way. 14G will get you 150 feet or so at that level before dropping you 3%.

10 may have been overkill. But, I can take it with me to Oshkosh where I need a 150 foot run to get from the power outlet to the camper's receptacle. Not having AC sucks and not having enough current can damage the AC unit too. That would make my brother mad because he owns the camper:)

Back