Tanis heater: always on or temp controlled?

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
If I plug the tanis heater in for 6 hours, will it constantly heat (send voltage) the entire time, or if the engine compartment (oil, etc.) reaches a certain temp, will it shut down?

It will constantly heat. It doesn't have temperature regulation unless you add some to the outside. I have a 100W cylinder base heater from Reiff that I leave plugged in. Without an insulated engine cover it raises the temp about 60*F, with one about 100*F

Thanks, that is very helpful.
I'll consider ambient temp when plugging in, adding blanket, etc.
Tom

If it’s not convenient to travel to plug in the heater, consider various options. One is a thermostat plug, used to turn on greenhouse heaters or plumbing heaters when the temps go below a certain point. I know of two models, one triggers on at 40 F and goes off at 54 F, the other one goes on at 30F, forgot what temp it goes off. Pick them up at th big box stores, under $20. Downside....if you don’t fly for days, the engine is being warmed in cycle that isn’t that good for corrosion.

Another option is a GSM switch. It’s a cell phone in a box that switches power on and off. This way you only turn on the heater a few hours before you head out to the airport.

Last edited:
You can get a timer,or tip the line guy that plugs it in for you.

I can't imagine (and Tanis claims the same) any problem with leaving the heat running (especially if you don't do it all the time). I started mine up at 2AM for morning flights. It takes a several hours for it to get suitably warm anyhow.

The problem with corrosion doesn't occur when then heater is running so much as what happens if it is shutdown again without actually running the engine. Still it's hardly much of a problem.

Lyc says heat if it's below 10f.....Buy a switchbox if its a big deal to you. I have one, but have not used it in 2 years. Or, if you know you will fly in say, the afternoons, buy a Christmas light timer that has a M0n-Sun schedule and only turn it on the days you might go fly.

I built a neat device that was a seven day intermatic timer and a line voltage thermostat that kicked on the preheater on FRI an SAT mornings when the temps were below 45. I eventually replaced it with a GSM AUTO (the same guts that the Switchbox employs). Now I just have a heated hangar.

I did leave my plane at IAD one weekend just before Xmas a few years ago. I called the line and asked if they could either pull me inside or pull the plane close enough to the building to plug in the Tanis. I came to the airport to find my plane sitting in the otherwise rather empty hangar... with the block heater plugged in. Yeah, I gave the line guy a good tip on that one,.

I built a neat device that was a seven day intermatic timer and a line voltage thermostat that kicked on the preheater on FRI an SAT mornings when the temps were below 45. I eventually replaced it with a GSM AUTO (the same guts that the Switchbox employs). Now I just have a heated hangar.

I did leave my plane at IAD one weekend just before Xmas a few years ago. I called the line and asked if they could either pull me inside or pull the plane close enough to the building to plug in the Tanis. I came to the airport to find my plane sitting in the otherwise rather empty hangar... with the block heater plugged in. Yeah, I gave the line guy a good tip on that one,.
GSM AUTO is no longer in production. Try this one instead.

https://www.amazon.com/KiaoTime-GSM...1545194172&sr=8-3&keywords=GSM+Remote+Control

Why does warming it up with a heater cause any more corrosion than just the plane naturally heating and cooling during a 24 he period from say 20*-50* ? In many climates that's not unheard of.. ?

In my case? My plane sits outdoors in Alaska. At 15*F there isn’t much going on inside the engine. What moisture is in there will be represented as frost on the surfaces. If I plug in and heat the engine it converts that frost to water vapor and provides a convective environment where the vapor rises to the top, meets cool surfaces, condenses into liquid water, drips down, converts back to water vapor, and repeats the process. With vulnerable assemblies like cam, lifters, cylinders, etc living in the greenhouse. I prefer frost.

mine only comes on before we go flying (the night before)....it doesn't stay on.

Why does warming it up with a heater cause any more corrosion than just the plane naturally heating and cooling during a 24 he period from say 20*-50* ? In many climates that's not unheard of.. ?
It doesn't really if the daily temperature swing goes like that.
Anyhow, I'm not sure that infrequently run engines on continuous heat fare any poorer than infrequently run engines without heat. The key is to get the engine up to temperature to boil off any water that has condensed.

Back