Tangier island

mxalix258

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mxalix258
Anyone here have any specific tips of going to Tangier island (TGI)? I'd like to visit, and would fly out of Manassas. Is it reasonable to try and fly there VFR? or is it better to be instrument rated on an IFR flight plan? Any particular equipment you'd bring with for flying over an extended period of time?

Any advice would be great.

Consider bringing an inflatable sailing PFD with the auto-inflate diasabled. The bay is still too cold to go swimming.

If the weather is IFR, Tangier is probably not much fun. On a VMC day, no reason to go there IFR. After you leave the SFRA and get over the bay, pick up flight-following from Pax approach on 121.0, they are usually quite friendly and helpful and may let you go through their R-area if there is nothing going on. There is an R-area on top of Tangier, iirc 3500ft and up and you are bordering another one that runs right next to the island. So you need to allways be aware of where you are, ideally with some sort of moving map.

Just the other day, I got an email from the HEF airport manager about some changes to the R-areas around FT AP Hill that won't be on the sectional until the next cycle. I think it's sometime in june that that happens. So between those, the Dahlgren range, the Quantico class D and of course the FRZ, you have to either plan your trip a bit or you have to take a scenic tour of the state of virginia. Some of these things are not active on weekends.

Last edited:
VFR arrival is not a problem, but make sure you study the R-areas carefully -- they are why it's left traffic on the south runway but right traffic on the north runway. While R-4006 has a base of 3500 (stay at/below 3000 while transiting beneath it), there are other R-areas underneath it which extend down to the surface, including R-6609 directly adjacent to TGI, as well as R-6611/12/13 extending southeast from Dahlgren.

From HEF, your best bet would be to stay south of 6611/12/13 and continue southeast down the Rappahannock River to the Bay, then east towards JAMIE intersection and then north up to TGI. Contact Patuxent Approach on 121.0 along the Rappahannock for flight following and R-area status. The areas are often cold during weekends, and they may be able to allow transit along a more direct route.

VFR arrival is not a problem, but make sure you study the R-areas carefully -- they are why it's left traffic on the south runway but right traffic on the north runway. While R-4006 has a base of 3500 (stay at/below 3000 while transiting beneath it), there are other R-areas underneath it which extend down to the surface, including R-6609 directly adjacent to TGI, as well as R-6611/12/13 extending southeast from Dahlgren.

From HEF, your best bet would be to stay south of 6611/12/13 and continue southeast down the Rappahannock River to the Bay, then east towards JAMIE intersection and then north up to TGI. Contact Patuxent Approach on 121.0 along the Rappahannock for flight following and R-area status. The areas are often cold during weekends, and they may be able to allow transit along a more direct route.

Have you been, Ron? I can't believe I've been a pilot in these parts for 12 years and have never gone!

I haven't gotten the chance to fly into Tangier (yet), but I've been there twice--once for about two hours when on a trip to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Port Isobel Island next door, and once overnight with the family. You come away either absolutely loving or absolutely hating it. I happen to fall into the "loving it" category.

Don't go in expecting to see a quaint little New England-style fishing village. This is a working town, and though the residents definitely take pride in their town, it can look a little run down in spots. You can rent bikes or a golf cart, but I'd suggest walking, because the island really isn't that big. You'll be able to see all of it on foot in a day. Definitely bring a camera, because the whole island--the village, the marshes outside the town, the beach, etc.--is very picturesque.

Speaking of the beach, it's definitely worth your time to go out on it. We walked all the way to the tip of it and saw virtually nobody else. It's easily one of the most beautiful beaches I've seen. Don't go swimming later in the summer, though, because the stinging jellies move up from the Bay as the summer goes on. Not fun.

I think Spanky's, the 1950s style ice cream parlor, should be open, but I'm not really sure. It's worth it to go. I'm (unfortunately) somewhat allergic to shellfish, so I don't get to experience the fresh crabs, but everyone I know says they're amazing--the crabcakes in particular. There are several places to eat, and I've heard great things about the Chesapeake House, though I've never actually visited. It's a bed and breakfast that has a restaurant. Everything is early on the island, including at the Chesapeake House (the last seating for the "family style" dinner is around 5:00 PM), because the watermen get up at insane hours (like 3:00 AM) to tend to the crabs and get out on the water.

Other random things--they speak with a sort of Cornish accent because of their isolation. The phrase "high tide" comes out "hoi toide," for example. It's really pretty cool. Also, there are stray cats everywhere. And there are no ATMs on the island either, so you'll want cash.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, so I'll add to this later. Maybe. If I can think of anything to add. Ask questions too if you like. It's definitely worth a visit--so beautiful and serene, and also really unique.

Thanks, James. I've heard some great things about a visit there. I really need to go soon!

I haven't gotten the chance to fly into Tangier (yet), but I've been there twice--once for about two hours when on a trip to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Port Isobel Island next door, and once overnight with the family. You come away either absolutely loving or absolutely hating it. I happen to fall into the "loving it" category.

Don't go in expecting to see a quaint little New England-style fishing village. This is a working town, and though the residents definitely take pride in their town, it can look a little run down in spots. You can rent bikes or a golf cart, but I'd suggest walking, because the island really isn't that big. You'll be able to see all of it on foot in a day. Definitely bring a camera, because the whole island--the village, the marshes outside the town, the beach, etc.--is very picturesque.

Speaking of the beach, it's definitely worth your time to go out on it. We walked all the way to the tip of it and saw virtually nobody else. It's easily one of the most beautiful beaches I've seen. Don't go swimming later in the summer, though, because the stinging jellies move up from the Bay as the summer goes on. Not fun.

I think Spanky's, the 1950s style ice cream parlor, should be open, but I'm not really sure. It's worth it to go. I'm (unfortunately) somewhat allergic to shellfish, so I don't get to experience the fresh crabs, but everyone I know says they're amazing--the crabcakes in particular. There are several places to eat, and I've heard great things about the Chesapeake House, though I've never actually visited. It's a bed and breakfast that has a restaurant. Everything is early on the island, including at the Chesapeake House (the last seating for the "family style" dinner is around 5:00 PM), because the watermen get up at insane hours (like 3:00 AM) to tend to the crabs and get out on the water.

Other random things--they speak with a sort of Cornish accent because of their isolation. The phrase "high tide" comes out "hoi toide," for example. It's really pretty cool. Also, there are stray cats everywhere. And there are no ATMs on the island either, so you'll want cash.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, so I'll add to this later. Maybe. If I can think of anything to add. Ask questions too if you like. It's definitely worth a visit--so beautiful and serene, and also really unique.

There is a rather large hump in the runway in line with the water treatment plant - remember that if you are landing to the south. Also, the locals use the runway as a jogging path. Don't bother waiting for them to clear off - just go.

There is a rather large hump in the runway in line with the water treatment plant - remember that if you are landing to the south. Also, the locals use the runway as a jogging path. Don't bother waiting for them to clear off - just go.

From what I understand, the runway was resurfaced not too long ago to get rid of the hump. And I have definitely heard of people using it as a tennis court as well, with the net stretched between two golf carts.

We spent a couple of days there about two weeks ago. The first person we saw was in the process of pulling boards and debris from a building that had collapsed from Hurricane Sandy. There are still structures there that have not been repaired or removed. There are some structures that appear to be completely repaired and raised a few feet higher. Others are in between those extremes. Residents seem to be sure the island(s) will be gone within 30 to 50 years due to the sea rising and the land sinking.

Attachments

• IMG_2751.JPG
    IMG_2751.JPG
    794.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2723.JPG
    IMG_2723.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2728.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2716.JPG
    IMG_2716.JPG
    510.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2747.JPG
    IMG_2747.JPG
    924.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2756.JPG
    IMG_2756.JPG
    856.9 KB · Views: 120
Bring $10 for the landing fee. (honor system, box by the gate) It's a great day trip. Right pattern for 02 to stay clear of restricted airspace. I'm going there on the 14th.

Since you're going to be talking to PCT anyhow, I'd try to get following and if they dump you call PXT to pick it up again at the bay. As CRon points out, there are a lot of R areas over the bay there, but I've found that not only is PXT good at letting you know if they are active or not, but they will often negotiate you a clearance through them even if they are hot.

Hilda Crockets is good for lunch. Fun is the golf cart tour of the island.

I find the old washing machines and other junk that forms the breakwater south of the runway amusing.

Its weird. I've been several times but after an hour or two get this overwhelming urge to get the heck outta there. I enjoy taking people there because it certainly is unique.

Although I am used to small fishing towns - Tangier is different.

PS if you like fishing, the Tangier area is home to the best red drum fishing I know of.

Last edited:
Great information, thanks everyone. I get kind of nervous flying over water like that, does it end up being a relative non factor because of how short the trip is over the open water? Any other precautions that people take other than a PFD? (which I'll have to ask around and see if I can find 2 to borrow).

Thanks!

Any other precautions that people take other than a PFD? (which I'll have to ask around and see if I can find 2 to borrow).

Flight-following with pax approach for the leg when you are over water. If they have you on their scope and know who you are, it cuts down on the time needed to get you if they have a fairly precise location. If you can borrow a PLB, that would be also high on my list of good things to have.

People poo-poo the bay as a body of water. While it's not the ocean, anything deeper than a doggy dish is deep enough to drown in. Two years ago, a local pilot/A&P took his mom for a trip to Tangier in his Globe Swift. The engine quit near Smith Island due to fuel mismanagement and they ended up in the drink. They both got out of the plane and he was strong enough to remain afloat, his 87 yo mom tired out quickly and died. He swam to shore and crawled up onto someones porch. Finding someone in the water is no trivial task. This pilot was in contact with pax approach and in short order (20min) state police, DNR and other aircraft were searching the area of the last radar return yet didn't find him or his mom.

While Tangier isn't that far from the closest point on of land, that's the Eastern Shore (as the former governor described, the outhouse of the state...Sorry CRon). Coming from the mainland you'll be over a non-trivial amount of water.

As my wife can attest, altitude is your friend here. My wife says she finds it funny that I'll zip along at 1500AGL or so until we get to the bay and I'm up to 4000. As already recommended, being in radar contact with PXT at least cuts down on the 20 questions when you report you're going down. They already know who and where you are.

A few years ago after hearing a fatal crash into Lake Michigan by a Legends Cub that resulted in the death of one of the occupants, I would seriously consider having PFD and wearing it before starting over the water. Sospenders or one of the belt packs rather than something you have to retrieve/take with you when you exit the aircraft.

Wings of Carolina did this as a club trip last year but I wasn't able to make it. I understand everyone had a good time.

You can probably call ahead and ask someone there for suggestions of what to do. Because of the relative isolation, you might ask if there's something small they need that you can bring them.

The distance is not that great, and the maximum distance from shore you will be at any given point is not more than 6, maybe 7 miles.

5-6000 feet should keep you safely within gliding distance. Don't forget to factor in winds aloft.

The bay is about 16NM at the widest point. (give or take)

According to Skyvector, Tangier is 12 miles from the Western Shore and 6 miles from the Eastern Shore at their respective closest points. So 6 and 3 miles glide distance is what you'd want, making sure to take into account the winds.

The distance is not that great, and the maximum distance from shore you will be at any given point is not more than 6, maybe 7 miles.

5-6000 feet should keep you safely within gliding distance. Don't forget to factor in winds aloft.

As mentioned, right over Tangier is R4006 that starts at 3500ft. Also, to get to the island from HEF, you have to round R6609 which hangs like a moose-nose into the bay. After you leave the land over the northern neck, you are going to be over water for 30nm with up to 10nm or so from land. If you approach Tangier from the north, unless R4006 is inactive, you are going to be below 3500 all the way.

As mentioned, right over Tangier is R4006 that starts at 3500ft. Also, to get to the island from HEF, you have to round R6609 which hangs like a moose-nose into the bay. After you leave the land over the northern neck, you are going to be over water for 30nm with up to 10nm or so from land. If you approach Tangier from the north, unless R4006 is inactive, you are going to be below 3500 all the way.

Definitely check with Pax Approach to see if they're active, though. Or better yet, be on flight following as suggested above. Last time I was down that way (a weekend, I think?) everything except 4002 was cold.

But the controlling agency is Washington Center?

Also plan a decision point of turn back or straight ahead in the event of powerplant failure

Flew W00-KTGI for the first time today via 3W3 and W41, flight following with Potomac and Patuxent the whole way.
IMG_1412.JPG

Last edited:
Flew in a couple of months ago. It sucks that I need cross country time and its 46nm from Newport News.

Flew in a couple of months ago. It sucks that I need cross country time and its 46nm from Newport News.
Go to Suffolk (KSFQ) or [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hampton Roads Executive (KPVG) [/FONT]First.

Went to TGI this weekend from GAI in Archer. We were originally going to fly to N74 (Penn Cave Airport) but the weather was MVFR/IFR in the morning.

It was very nice flight overall. We flew on the right side of R-4006. A little cross-wind from the east for landing on RW 2. There were 4-5 other planes that landed in front of us. Had some nice crab cakes and afternoon tea and came back around sunset.

Here are few pics.
IMG_3619.JPG IMG_3621.JPG IMG_3624.JPG IMG_3627.JPG

ROTGLMFAO! With that great distance you shouldn't do it in a single, too dangerous. Rent a twin.

Consider bringing an inflatable sailing PFD with the auto-inflate diasabled. The bay is still too cold to go swimming.

If the weather is IFR, Tangier is probably not much fun. On a VMC day, no reason to go there IFR. After you leave the SFRA and get over the bay, pick up flight-following from Pax approach on 121.0, they are usually quite friendly and helpful and may let you go through their R-area if there is nothing going on. There is an R-area on top of Tangier, iirc 3500ft and up and you are bordering another one that runs right next to the island. So you need to allways be aware of where you are, ideally with some sort of moving map.

Just the other day, I got an email from the HEF airport manager about some changes to the R-areas around FT AP Hill that won't be on the sectional until the next cycle. I think it's sometime in june that that happens. So between those, the Dahlgren range, the Quantico class D and of course the FRZ, you have to either plan your trip a bit or you have to take a scenic tour of the state of virginia. Some of these things are not active on weekends.

Cute waitress at Lorraine's too. I may have to go back after all.

Been there several times. The wife loves the place. Be ready for the cross winds. They have been there most of the times that I have visited. Also, there are no runway lights so you have to be out of there before sunset. Go visit and have a great time.:yes::yes::yes:

+1 on calling to see if there is something small, that they need, that you could bring...

Here is a video from yesterday's flight there. Thanks for the heads up on this place. I called and spoke to a lady at the town office. She said "we could always use something, i just don't know what we need right now".

So is it pronounced "Tan- jeer" or "Tang-er" ?

Back