Tangier island

I've been in there several times. In a mooney and in a sundowner.( in the 80s) While it's close to the mainland, the mainland consists of typical swamp type , sealevel growth in many places. As was mentioned, a working type community with many watermen. I always arrived from the north so am not familiar with a southern route buts it's not a great distance from patuxent NAS. I think, but am not sure, during the big war, it was an emergency strip. You can walk easily from the landing strip to " town" just a couple of blocks. ( tan- jeer island) while your there, you might want to stop in Easton, nice runways and home to spitfire aviation which has a magnificent P51, Spitfire, husky, a chez jet trainer painted usn , nice 56 thunderbird, on and on. The owner, mulit millionaire was connected to healthcare industry.

Last edited:
You can walk between anywhere on the island in a few minutes. The place isn't that big. The runway is almost the entire length of the island (it's on fill, amusing all the old appliances were dumped into the water to form the breakwater).

As a low time pilot (I think) I'm supposed to admire your fortitude on the return flight. VFR in that weather and not being able to climb higher than FL025 for the stretch over water didn't present a lot of options if you needed an out. Six minutes into the film and I was on the edge of my seat. Not certain I would have put myself (or 3 friends) through that ... but I'm sure it comes with experience.

Last edited:
A fellow left there not long ago after a sightseeing trip with his mother. He was flying under an overcast at around 2000 feet. The engine quit. He swam to the western shore, not far from his touchdown. She drowned. Globe swift.

A fellow left there not long ago after a sightseeing trip with his mother. He was flying under an overcast at around 2000 feet. The engine quit. He swam to the western shore, not far from his touchdown. She drowned. Globe swift.

I think the autopsy indicated she actually died from her injuries before her body went underwater. He tried to get her to shore when he realized the futility.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...9_1_plane-crash-tangier-island-mother-and-son

Here is a video from yesterday's flight there. Thanks for the heads up on this place. I called and spoke to a lady at the town office. She said "we could always use something, i just don't know what we need right now".

Anyone else getting mesaage that owner is not allowing content to be displayed on a mobile device?

It's youtube, your iKotex can't handle Flash. Bring up the YouTube app and search for "KCPK-KTGI" or "KTGI-KCPK" to find it.

Flew W00-KTGI for the first time today via 3W3 and W41, flight following with Potomac and Patuxent the whole way.

Flew to KTGI for the second time yesterday. It felt a lot easier this time, probably because the R areas were cold and I could fly at 5500 instead of 3000. Spotted the remains of W79 on the way home, which I didn't know about until now; I wonder why it's not on the chart?

Flew to KTGI for the second time yesterday. It felt a lot easier this time, probably because the R areas were cold and I could fly at 5500 instead of 3000. Spotted the remains of W79 on the way home, which I didn't know about until now; I wonder why it's not on the chart?
When were you flying? I flew just past TGI yesterday in the Beech 18 yesterday afternoon. I need to get a little more practice in before I'll be comfortable flying the Beast into TGI.

I always thought it was pronounced "Tan gee aye."

I always thought it was pronounced "Tan gee aye."

No, you must be thinking of this:

cef48e85ae21a51c260a5337acd42d6c.jpg

When were you flying? I flew just past TGI yesterday in the Beech 18 yesterday afternoon. I need to get a little more practice in before I'll be comfortable flying the Beast into TGI.

We flew in a little before 11 and headed back out a little after noon.

How much runway do you need in the 18 ?

How much runway do you need in the 18 ?
Right now (about 15 hours in the airplane), I'm comfortable getting into a 3000' x 75' runway as long as x-winds aren't crazy. Other guys will take their's into 2000-2500' strips. I've done a couple landings where I had it stopped within 2500', but still working on my technique. I'm not ready for the advanced stuff (like getting on the brakes while the tail is still in the air).

I like to have some safety factor.

Went in IFR a while back; PAX can see you down real low over there. If I recall, I was down about 1000' the last few miles, and still had radar coverage. Heading back, no phone signal, no phone avalable, and going back into the FRZ, so I did a scud run to Bay Bridge, landed there to file.

It was real pretty in the mist and the puffies, and very nice down low. Hey, if it quits, it quits. . .

Went for the third time on Monday, this time in the 140 with my son. Couldn't get Pax on the radio at all.

Been twice, originating from the FRZ; once VFR, when I don't bother with flight following, and once IFR, ceiling about 2,000 - controller offered lower, and they were still seeing me OK below that - odd, misty day and the viz improved enough for VFR close to the island. Turned out to be a fun IFR trip.

Went home via Bay Bridge (W29) - as I recall, no cell reception, and the pay phone was dead at Tangier - so dropped in to W29 to file FRZ. Runway was kinda chunky, but not awful.

Now I feel a hankering for crabs.

I'll probably head out there next week.

Back