Tampa area suggestions?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
If we can find some time between baseball and soccer, my wife and I would like to try to fly down to see some spring training baseball. Looking at potentially making a game or two in Tampa/Venice area.

Any suggestions for where to (GA) fly into that we can easily snag a rental car?

Was a big fan of ZPH, but that’s a bit of a ways from downtown and Venice.

SPG, TPF, and VDF are all decent options for Tampa, especially if you are renting a car. TPF will be the easiest drive if you're going to see the Yankees. For Venice I'd simply just fly there -- VNC.

For Venice (KVNC)the FBO can get you a rental...as for Tampa multiple good choices. If you want something to cover both would recommend Sarasota/Bradenton(KSRQ).

Thanks all for the responses. Now if we can just get schedules to align to get down to see the Braves before ST is over.

ksrq kvnc @
are both good stops ,Sarasota is very busy at times. Venice is recommended if you want to stay away from the class Charlie ,bravo and Delta.

Tons of good airfields. Pick based on where the game is. For the Yankees, VDF is probably best, though TPF is really cool. There are a couple of teams over in St Pete/Clearwater; SPG, CLW, and PIE are all great. Lakeland is good for the Tigers.

Enterprise has local car rental places all over the place, and Uber is everywhere. So you don't have to get a car at the FBO.

All the major towns along the coast have good airfields. Sarasota, Venice, Punta Gorda, Fort Meyers. There is a lot of GA traffic in the area and plenty of GA infrastructure to support it. I doubt there is a single spring training facility without a very good airfield nearby.

If you go to Venice, be very very careful of departing over water at night.

Back