Tally & Contact

I guess my point is that I learned growing up that "guys" is gender-specific (see "Guys and Dolls," above), so I feel its use to women or mixed gender groups is dismissive to women.
I'm thinking I'd rather be called a "guy" than a "doll". :rofl:

Of course I answer to anything, even "sweetie" or "honey" which were very foreign to my ears at first. I'm thinking those terms are a southern or midwestern thing and I'm a Yankee by upbringing. :dunno:

I guess my point is that I learned growing up that "guys" is gender-specific (see "Guys and Dolls," above), so I feel its use to women or mixed gender groups is dismissive to women. For that reason, I show my respect for the women in the group by not using terms which to me (and, I would guess, most of my contemporaries) are gender-specific, no matter what the current edition of some dictionary says. OTOH, I do still use "guys" just as I have for over half a century -- to refer to an all-male group.

Consider me an old fuddy-duddy if you will.:D

Guys has always been a genderless group of people to me and it appears has worked its way into the dictionary to mean such. ;)

I bet you were also told the world was flat when you were a kid. ;)

Merriam-Webster disagrees with you.

Merriam defines the word guy used in the plural sense to refer to members of a group, regardless of sex.

Seems awfully "uppity" to ding someone based on your own incorrect interpretation of the word.

You've convinced me...now convince my wife.

Bob

The only time it is appropriate to say "Tally-ho" is if you are flying a Spitfire and have Jerry in sight. :wink2:

These days, I say "Howdy, folks.". It isn't that hard to avoid gender exclusivity, and maybe it will make women in aviation feel more comfortable.
But that's probably another thread...

I predict "y'all" will spread north and east. :)

Back