Tally & Contact

When a King Air showed up in my windscreen a while back, I said "Holy Sh*t". What glossary is that in?

To close for guns, going to sling shot. :D

When a King Air showed up in my windscreen a while back, I said "Holy Sh*t". What glossary is that in?

To close for guns, going to sling shot. :D

I used the "F" word in front of the DPE on my checkride about 8 nm out before the end since I thought I failed for not getting ATIS. Thank goodness I released the PTT button before saying it.

Podunk Tower, 123 Alpha Bravo 8 miles west 3,500 with "F-Word"

I said "Thank you very much, good traffic call" when the twin went under me. ATC had advised no lower than 7,500 (under 8,000 B shelf) which stopped my descent. I'm usually descending to 6,500 in that area so I'm certain to be under the 7,000 shelf that's a few miles ahead.

Podunk Tower, 123 Alpha Bravo 8 miles west 3,500 with "F-Word"

How did you know? That is exactly what I said.... am I not the only one?

I dialed in tower fx - we were coming "home" to the DPE's home towered airport from a nearby untowered field. It was the end of the checkride.

I said:

"Santa Rosa Tower, Cessna Two Four Four Niner Eight, Eight Miles North, Landing with F-CK!!!" but the "F" part was after I let go of the PTT.

The tower thought I lost my radio since I stopped so suddenly....

I said (in plain English) "Sorry, I forgot to get the ATIS....."

She read me the winds and everything, and I did NOT fail the checkride. Felt like a complete idiot in front of the DPE though.

This is why training at an untowered airport can bite you....

Old guy down the hangar row from me has a plane whose number ends in 74Q. Sometimes when he's feeling feisty, he just acknowledges with "four cue."

Old guy down the hangar row from me has a plane whose number ends in 74Q. Sometimes when he's feeling feisty, he just acknowledges with "four cue."

THAT'S funny! Thanks for the chuckle, Ron.

Foxtrot is the proper way to say it. Or is that what you were calling your DPE?? :p
I laughed out loud (sorry, LOL just doesn't cut it).

We use Charlie Foxtrot at work to describe Cluster f...

Brings up an interesting question. Is Tourette's syndrome a reportable medical condition?

I've done that one before...

"Centennial Tower, Skylane One Two Seven Niner Mike, ten East, full-stop with ... Negative ATIS." [unkey]... "****!"

There are only two proper responses: "Contact" and "Negative contact," and they are to be used for visual contact only. Read the Contact entry in the Pilot/Controller Glossary. Forget about Tally-ho...it is pretentious at best.

What do you care about what USAF pilots say? You are a civil pilot, right? The military are flying "public aircraft" and are not subject to the same rules as those of us who fly civil aircraft. Your references should be the AIM and Advisory Circular 90-42F.

Bob Gardner
I don't know of any Air Force guidance on phraseology to use with ATC; however, Air Force Instruction 11-202 Vol 3, General Flight Rules, lists the AIM (which contains the Pilot/Controller Glossary) as a reference.

*EDIT*

Oops, I was wrong. AFI 11-202V3 says...
5.8. Communication in Flight.
5.8.1. Air Traffic Control Clearances. The PIC will comply with ATC clearances and instructions unless a deviation is necessary due to an in-flight emergency, to ensure safety of flight or to comply with a Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) resolution advisory (RA). Pilots will use standard aviation terminology, in English, from the Pilot-Controller glossary, MAJCOM guidance and FLIP when communicating with ATC.

Last edited:
What none of you guys have fish finders????

What none of you guys have fish finders????
Well, some of us other-than-guys have them. ;)

In my case, I sort-of have one. I have FIS-B, which gives me whatever traffic info is uploaded from ATC's radar. Sometimes I tell ATC that I have "that traffic" on ADS-B but do not have a visual. That's so that they know that I don't need them to keep calling the traffic for me. When (if) I see the traffic for real, I let them know.

But FIS-B traffic is definitely nowhere near as reliable as onboard radar, even when it's working which is not always. I've had traffic called out to me that I didn't see at all on my "fish-finder", even when the MFD is showing lots of other traffic. And there are times that no traffic is displayed at all, even though I'm in range of a GBT. It seems they still have a few bugs in the system to get out before it'll even work as advertised.

Sometimes I tell ATC that I have "that traffic" on ADS-B but do not have a visual. That's so that they know that I don't need them to keep calling the traffic for me. When (if) I see the traffic for real, I let them know.

I do that as well.

Well, some of us other-than-guys have them. ;)

Where I'm from (the St. Louis area) you're a guy. "Guy" is not gender specific in St. Louis. It's quite acceptable (and the norm) to greet a group of people, both male and female, with "hi, guys!".

Where I'm from (the St. Louis area) you're a guy. "Guy" is not gender specific in St. Louis. It's quite acceptable (and the norm) to greet a group of people, both male and female, with "hi, guys!".

Same here. Unless there's someone too dumb in the group to understand that English has gender limitations. ;)

These days, I say "Howdy, folks.". It isn't that hard to avoid gender exclusivity, and maybe it will make women in aviation feel more comfortable.
But that's probably another thread...

These days, I say "Howdy, folks.". It isn't that hard to avoid gender exclusivity, and maybe it will make women in aviation feel more comfortable.
To be honest, I was yanking BellyUp's chain there a little. "Guys" doesn't really bother me, and many women use it in all-women groups, as well (including me). I wouldn't petition the FAA to change that little white slip to say "Airperson Medical Certificate", for example. ;)

But yes, some women do take offense. And the fact is, we are by far the minority in aviation and some of that is the perception that male pilot culture isn't very welcoming to women. So, I do commend Ron on his sensitivity. :)

We are not allowed to call the cockpit the cockpit at work anymore.

It's "inappropriate." It is a "flight deck."

It's a joke, is what it is.

If someone (and I don't think you were azure) wants to be offended by me calling a group of people guys, be my guest.

But that's probably another thread...

I agree. A number of servers have had their tips reduced by calling my wife and I "guys." I much prefer "folks."

Bob Gardner

I agree. A number of servers have had their tips reduced by calling my wife and I "guys." I much prefer "folks."

Bob Gardner

Merriam-Webster disagrees with you.

Merriam defines the word guy used in the plural sense to refer to members of a group, regardless of sex.

Seems awfully "uppity" to ding someone based on your own incorrect interpretation of the word.

Last edited:
I always thought "guys" was a gender-neutral term and I use it all the time no matter who I'm speaking to. I think it's amusing when I get emails at work addressed to the whole pilot group which starts out with "gentlemen", though. :rofl:

Guys is gender neutral according to the dictionary. ;)

A cockpit is a small enclosed area where two chickens fight each other... especially when they can't find the runway environment at minimums.

I've never heard the front of our airplanes called anything but the cockpit. No one calls it a flight deck. For one thing, none of the airplanes are big enough to have a "deck". The only exception is one guy from the military who calls it the "flight station". When I first heard that I didn't know what he was talking about.

Last edited:
Guys is gender neutral according to the dictionary. ;)
...but not according to Damon Runyon. Of course, fewer and fewer pilots these days have seen any Broadway musical, no less "Guys and Dolls." I guess my perspective is jaundiced by growing up in a different age.

And I suppose that "balls to the wall" (which has nothing to do with testicles) is also verboten. Kinda like use of the term "niggardly" -- folks today who don't know its meaning or derivation think you're expressing a racist sentiment if you use it. :sigh:

Kinda like use of the term "niggardly" -- folks today who don't know its meaning or derivation think you're expressing a racist sentiment if you use it. :sigh:

The more of us who stop using perfectly legitimate terms (I.E. folks versus guys) for "sensitivity sakes" the more these terms will appear taboo.

I use folks quite a bit, but I'm from Alabama, not because I'm afraid some lady in the bunch might be offended.

If a person is of the sort to allow the distinction between guys and folks to offend them, there is very little that isn't going to offend them.

I don't need all my feelings placated to. Sometimes, a spade is a spade and I don't feel the need to placate others.

Guys, folks, youins, youz guyz, it's all the same.

Tip or not, it's your choice to be a jerk for no reason. ;)

The more of us who stop using perfectly legitimate terms (I.E. folks versus guys) for "sensitivity sakes" the more these terms will appear taboo.
I guess my point is that I learned growing up that "guys" is gender-specific (see "Guys and Dolls," above), so I feel its use to women or mixed gender groups is dismissive to women. For that reason, I show my respect for the women in the group by not using terms which to me (and, I would guess, most of my contemporaries) are gender-specific, no matter what the current edition of some dictionary says. OTOH, I do still use "guys" just as I have for over half a century -- to refer to an all-male group.

Consider me an old fuddy-duddy if you will.:D

"...carbon-based life forms."
Absolutely. There are probably several thousand dogs and/or cats, maybe a marmot or two, and a few million tardigrades reading these boards too. Can't leave anyone out. :rolleyes:

Absolutely. There are probably several thousand dogs and/or cats, maybe a marmot or two, and a few million tardigrades reading these boards too. Can't leave anyone out. :rolleyes:
Well, Beauregard my Labrador Retriever is sitting here next to me...and he seems to be looking at what I'm typing...

Back