tall copilot seat - 172

172Pusher

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
172Pusher
P model 172
the pilots seat is adjustable but the copilot seat is higher than I'd like. Any way to adjust it?

Last edited:
From another thread:
On your seat height, you can install an adjustable seat on the co-pilots side or have seen some owners install a thinner bottom seat cushion.
Can someone please tell me where to buy a new, thinner cushion?

The second option is, can I change their sides? They use the same seat rails so I would think so.

Or, the third option is replacing the copilot seat with an adjustable seat. Where do I find one?

Thanks in advance

Can someone please tell me where to buy a new, thinner cushion?
Any aviation interior company should be able to make one to your specification. Or in some cases you can simply recover your existing seat with less cushion. And if you're energetic enough you might be able to "fix" your seat cushion yourself under Part 43 Appx A(c)(11) as preventative mx. However, you might want to check with your APIA who performs your annuals before hand.
The second option is, can I change their sides?
Each seat has separate P/Ns but I don't recall any major issue in swapping the seats. On some seat assys there are some minor things that need to be dealt with but they should fit. However, again check with your APIA 1st.
Or, the third option is replacing the copilot seat with an adjustable seat. Where do I find one?
Check the major salvage yards: Dallas Air, Atlanta Air, Wentworth, Faeth, etc. Most usually have a number of seats up for sale that will fit your aircraft.

Back