Talk to me about becoming an A&P

There is a regulation and people here like to cosplay lawyer and read it to the letter but fact is Bell206 spelled it out. It just depends on who you go ask for the endorsement. Personally I did it kind of half experience and half school and I was in my 20's. I can't imagine why someone at retirement age would want to pursue this. It's not exactly a walk in the park or something you'd just fancy to do because you didn't have anything else. It would be better to just buy a kitplane and build it for yourself then fly it. Yay, that would be cool!

“ can’t imagine”? I believe there are a lot folks that want to retire from their
job and and begin a new career at something they enjoy.You have to have a reason to get out of bed.

“ can’t imagine”? I believe there are a lot folks that want to retire from their
job and and begin a new career at something they enjoy.You have to have a reason to get out of bed.

Okay sorry, I didn't mean to be discouraging. I retired last year after 40 years as an A&P (10 years GA and 30+ years airline) so I worked on everything from J3's to 787's. I think that when you do retire you will find that there are tons and tons of things to do that you never had time for when you were working a full time job and I guess for me at least I've had enough of working on airplanes. It just seems that it's a long road to start down at this age and getting the licenses is just the beginning.

I get what you are saying. By the time I retire, I may not have any interest in going to school for two years, full time... So I'll be making that decision when the time comes. If I walked away from my job now (which is tempting, the way things are lately) I'd dive right into an A&P program. But it would mean walking away from insurance, retirement funds, and a steady salary.

One way or another, I want to get back into aviation. And I would love to be able to have my own plane again. A partnership would be great. I figure if I could at least know what I'm doing; do some of the work myself, I may be able to save some money. You have to understand that the only reason I walked away from aviation, 20+ years ago, was because of money. I literally dropped everything having to do with aviation, and walked away. I've thought about flying every day of those last 20 years, and I'm just now in a position in life where spending the cash on flying an hour or two per month isn't going to hurt--that is, if the FAA will ever give me my medical certificate.

So my goal here isn't to get a new job, especially to work 9-5. Mainly, it's just my ticket back into the aviation world, even if the FAA never allows me to fly again. First, I want to build the skills and knowledge to be able to work on my own plane, even if I can't do the inspections for the work myself. It's about safety and knowledge. Secondly, it would be great to have something new to be doing when I retire. And finally, if it all works out, if I could pass the exams, I would love to be able to make some money after retirement. It's mainly about having options and getting back into the aviation world.

Imagine if you had to walk away from flying tomorrow, sell your plane (I had a 150/150 Texas Taildragger) all your equipment, etc... but you thought that you could come back to it in a few years when you make enough money... ...but then 20 years passes... and then you aren't allowed back... (Someday, it will happen to you.) 20 years goes by in a flash. So the idea that I could actually become a licensed A&P by gaining experience and being allowed to take the tests was the real reason I started this thread--to see if that's even possible! Although I think about flying every day, what really got me thinking about this is when, two years ago, I went back to the airport to hire an instructor to sign me off for my PPL privileges. I'll never forget the feeling, after a few hours of instruction, of having it all come back to me on that late evening cross country when I knew I had it all dialed in. The sweet spot. Like when you have the thing trimmed out just perfectly. But in this case, I was trimmed out. My brain was firing off in ways it hadn't for all those years, my senses, and reflexes, and everything just felt like they were in the groove again. I knew I'd have to work on perfecting my landings, and I'd need to get some more instruction on some of the changes in procedures over the past 20 years, but I knew I needed to get back into flying again.... But then, the Oklahoma City office........... And I've been waiting on them for almost 2 years now.

Anyway, beginning in May of this year, I'm going to start hunting around for a shop that will let me sweep the floors, clean airplanes, and unscrew inspection panels. If I don't, I'll regret it.

The old guy (well, I am 64 and he is much older) in the hanger next to me started 'volunteering' at the local shop after he retired from his real job. After a while, the owner started paying him and giving him more experience with more things. He passed his A&P and has since been spending most of he free time buying rough planes, refreshing them and selling them for a profit. He takes his time as he does have other interests. He thinks it's a good retirement.

I have a student in my class right now who attends for free under the auspices of a program of which I've never heard for folks over 60. There's an A&P school in my little one-horse town. If the A&P school recognizes the same program I'll be attending after my next zero birthday.

Get your medical and go the experimental route.....and forget making money turning a wrench. The money isn't all that great.

I get what you are saying. By the time I retire, I may not have any interest in going to school for two years, full time...

It would be an odd experience. Most of your classmates will be in their 20's and you have to punch a clock. If you miss a day or a class you have to make the time up in a sort of detention session where you just basically sit in a room for a couple of hours. I'm not saying it's impossible but it would maybe not be as enjoyable as you are thinking.

Other than that I understand the rest of what you are saying about your yen for flying. I just don't think that getting an A&P license is all that necessary to get into it. If you are financially
comfortable maybe just buy a 150 and find an A&P who will work with you in the owner assist capacity or, as many others have suggested, go experimental and buy a kitplane. By building one you will both develop the skills and later be fully qualified to do all the maintenance and annual conditional inspections on your own plane. There are a great number of kits available and they don't have to cost $100k so long as you resist the trend of going completely overboard on elaborate avionics that are unnecessary for the simple enjoyment of flight as a hobby. At the very least take a look at the idea and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I had nothing to add to this until the question of why in the world would someone do this in their 50s or 60s came up. I am 54. I enjoy learning, wrenching, building; I get “lost” in the art, especially wiring. I love engines. Troubleshooting is a brain vacation vs my day job. Built cars and engines for fun.

Two years ago I called up A&P schools to assess the viability of me going. Because of travel distance (AIM in Indy; Ivy Tech CC in Ft Wayne), I’m going to wait until retirement.

I don’t care if I never use the certificate. Or I might buy a van and be a roaming A&P.

Back