Talk Me Out of Buying...

Well, it's been just about exactly a year since I placed my deposit, and am still waiting for an allocation. Porsche has announced it's going to resume 718 production at the old Karmann plant in Osnabrück this summer, and I'm hoping that will get things moving. At this point I'm going to guess it will be either the fourth quarter of this year or the first quarter of next before I get a car.

I’m not against 4 cyl porsches (especially 356 but even 912 or 944 are fun!) but I too would recommend a used 981 6 cyl or new GTS or GT4 (especially the 4) if you want new.

Personally, I prefer (and own several) 911s but the Cayman is terrific!

...and the person who mentioned a Tesla should be banned!
Although I've never been able to afford one I am somewhat of a Porschephile (that's Porschephile). Having said that I wouldn't allow a 944 to be parked in my driveway.

Not as much as most people think.

Of the 106,681 survey participants who drove to work every day in a car, 95 percent of them travelled less than 40 miles to work, with the average commute distance being 13.6 miles.​

With 200+ mile ranges one does not have to recharge every day. On a daily commute like the above a 110 v outlet will charge it back up over night easily. With a 220 v it's even less time.

My wife and I have talked about it some. Still both driving ICE cars. I have a Mustang Convertible. I think my next car will quite likely be an EV. Right now the leading candidate would be the Kia Niro EV, and word is it's getting a battery update for the 2022 model that should be for sale in August; current range is 239 miles, which is already plenty for me.

My wife said we could always have an ICE for longer trips, but we rarely do that. I told her we could always rent something if we needed to. Anything long and we fly, private or commercial. About a year and half ago we did a trip to visit our youngest when she was in college for a parents weekend. My parents wanted to go too, then our oldest, then the middle daughter too. So, we rented a minivan. That was the only way to get 6 of us there in one vehicle, and it would also hold seven for driving to dinner once there.

Unfortunately my next two trips look like they will be drives. :( We were going to fly, but the pitch trim servo has failed and needs repairing. STEC has a backlog, so we'll be driving. :oops: Both are just barely past max range for the Niro EV. If it were much further we'd look into flying commercial. As it is, with the overhead for commercial flights it wouldn't really be any faster than driving for such a short distance.

Have you considered a plugin hybrid electric vehicle? Those seem to be a good alternative for both short errands and road trips. Just a thought:idea:

Wow…. I was at the dealership getting routine service on my wife’s car and there were three new vehicles on the lot with one spoken for. The other two were a Taycan S and a 718 Spyder. Usually they have at least 20 new vehicles. I had no idea that production was backed up by a year or more. Last car I spec’ed with them took 3.5 months in 2018. The BMW dealership next door said they could get an X7 (M) order delivered in 6-10 weeks. Quite a disparity.

One you get that girls-car (nearly any Porsche), are you going to get something for people with testicles to drive?

(shoot..... where's a sofa to hide behind?)

Wow…. I was at the dealership getting routine service on my wife’s car and there were three new vehicles on the lot with one spoken for. The other two were a Taycan S and a 718 Spyder. Usually they have at least 20 new vehicles. I had no idea that production was backed up by a year or more. Last car I spec’ed with them took 3.5 months in 2018. The BMW dealership next door said they could get an X7 (M) order delivered in 6-10 weeks. Quite a disparity.

The dealer where I have my deposit has a pretty good supply of new Macans and a few Cayennes, a Panamera and Taycan or two, and even a couple of very expensive 911s. No new Boxsters or Caymans at all, and only four used ones. I think Porsche is seeing a pretty solid increase in demand for their sports cars and they aren't keeping up with it. Some makers are pretty close back to normal, and others aren't. I spent the last 10 months trying to buy an Lexus NX350h for my wife, and we just got it a couple of weeks ago.

One you get that girls-car (nearly any Porsche), are you going to get something for people with testicles to drive?

(shoot..... where's a sofa to hide behind?)

It's too bad you don't live closer. I'd come up your way and make you go for a ride, maybe even drive it some, so you'd know what you're missing.

Forgive him Lord, for he know not what he says.
More like not knowing what he's missing.

After a mere 15 month wait, I received a call from my sales advisor on Monday, and I now have an allocation. If anyone's interested in what the final build looks like, go here and enter this code: PR1467I7. The build is anticipated to be at the end of June and delivery at the end of August. I suspect it will be more like September.

Things seem to be moving along better now. Porsche moved production of the 718 series back to VW's Osnabrück facility, where they were being built prior to the pandemic, and I feel confident I'll have the car sometime this fall.

I have heard similar wait times and/or market adjustments for the C8 'vettes. Just nutty.
Congrats on the allocation. one step closer.

I have heard similar wait times and/or market adjustments for the C8 'vettes. Just nutty.
Congrats on the allocation. one step closer.

There was a post today on the 718 forum message board where a dealer had an allocation for any of the turbo four cars available at MSRP with no waiting. I'm not sure how available the GTS cars are, but maybe now the prices of used four cylinder cars will come back to reality.

Glad to hear you finally have a slot. Hopefully it goes faster now. We were afraid of long wait times with our Alfa Romeo, fortunately for us nobody wants Alfas so that worked in our favor. ;)

Glad to hear you finally have a slot. Hopefully it goes faster now. We were afraid of long wait times with our Alfa Romeo, fortunately for us nobody wants Alfas so that worked in our favor. ;)

Thanks. Porsche is now forecasting my car will be here at the end of August. It's not uncommon for those forecasts to change, so I'd guess it will be September, which is not all that far away.

Reactions: Ted
Congratulations! Looks fantastic. I'm sure you'll love it.

Back