Tales of a Rusty Pilot

I guess I was lucky because after 9 years off I was able to get signed off on the BFR after 1 hour of flying in a C-172SP. Before taking time off I was a 500 hour CFI. Fortunately for me it was a calm easy day and ideal for doing the typical maneuvers plus a number of takeoffs and landings. The instructor kept asking if I really have not flown in 9 years. I mentally reviewed all the typical BFR maneuvers ahead of time to make sure I was ready for the sequence of tasks. After the BFR I went up for a 5-10 hours alone and practiced more before I carried passengers.

Instrument work is another area that I need to start practicing. I never really had enough experience in IMC. I must say that today's moving maps provide much better situational awareness than we had in the 1980s. ADSB is amazing too.

Last edited:
Awesome updates along the way! I’ve looked into LSA but don’t want to buy and there are none to rent nearby (I’m not too far from the OP and others on this thread NW of ORD).

Love to read the updates!

I just crossed 50 hours after 15 years away...I think I’m just about done with my re-training!

Seriously it will take a while between the books, learning the plane again, talking on radio, and flying itself. I would say I underestimated how much it would take to get back in it and be comfortable again. I actually got my BFR signed off after 2 -hour sessions. But I wasn’t really ready...

I just crossed 50 hours after 15 years away...I think I’m just about done with my re-training!

Seriously it will take a while between the books, learning the plane again, talking on radio, and flying itself. I would say I underestimated how much it would take to get back in it and be comfortable again. I actually got my BFR signed off after 2 -hour sessions. But I wasn’t really ready...
Wow... Keep at it!

I actually got my BFR signed off after 2 -hour sessions. But I wasn’t really ready...

So you’ve got 50 hours of training post BFR signoff?

I know what you mean about not feeling ready. I’m about 7 hours in after 28 years out of the cockpit and my CFI said he’s about to sign me off. I’m still not feeling comfortable (could be how difficult the LA airspace is now). But the FBO owner said nothing will build my confidence back faster than going out and doing it without the crutch of a CFI next to me.

So you’ve got 50 hours of training post BFR signoff?

I know what you mean about not feeling ready. I’m about 7 hours in after 28 years out of the cockpit and my CFI said he’s about to sign me off. I’m still not feeling comfortable (could be how difficult the LA airspace is now). But the FBO owner said nothing will build my confidence back faster than going out and doing it without the crutch of a CFI next to me.

I trust my CFI. I've had to "dust off my certificate" and go through the BFR process to get current again a couple times over the years. This last time, I was still "current" in terms of my BFR, but hadn't flown in about 18 months due to issues with the plane and now ex-partner. Instead of just going flying, I booked some time w/ my CFI... and flew absolutely terribly. Couldn't come up with a decent even close-to-the-centerline landing to save my life, and felt like I was going to have to go through my entire training all over again from day one. Have no idea why it was so awful this time back. Well, after our second flight, he just said, "Look, you're fine... don't worry so much. I can tell you won't do anything unsafe... just go fly. It's all in there in your lizard brain." He's a very exacting instructor, and I had no reason to doubt him, so I did. He was right. After a few flights, my confidence came back, landings got much better, and then I started taking my wife back up, flying in the system (VFR) regularly, and all is better than ever. If you have a good CFI and he says you're ready.. you are.

After a few flights, my confidence came back, landings got much better, and then I started taking my wife back up, flying in the system (VFR) regularly, and all is better than ever. If you have a good CFI and he says you're ready.. you are.
Sage advice. Thank you.

Great thread! I'm about 15 years overdue for a BFR myself.

My first lesson was in 1979, soloed in 1980 and finished my PPL in 1997, got my instrument rating in 1999...only 20 years haha. In the 7 or so years I was flying regularly I flew about 600 hours, most of it in a Piper Archer.

I started flying with a CFI a few weeks ago in an RV12 and about 5 hours in, I'm feeling pretty good, and feel I could make it around the pattern, but am in no hurry. I am also having issues with the "sight picture" during final, but I'm sure with more practice, it will come together. The glass instrument panel is also a challenge, having learned on steam. I'm still accustomed to scanning and getting inputs from the movement of the needles to mentally process things, maybe a relic from my instrument training. I wont be flying IFR anymore so maybe I need to re-learn the art of looking out the damn window.

Last edited:
Great thread! I'm about 15 years overdue for a BFR myself.

My first lesson was in 1979, soloed in 1980 and finished my PPL in 1997, got my instrument rating in 1999...only 20 years haha. In the 7 or so years I was flying regularly I flew about 600 hours, most of it in a Piper Archer.

I started flying with a CFI a few weeks ago in an RV12 and about 5 hours in, I'm feeling pretty good, and feel I could make it around the pattern, but am in no hurry. I am also having issues with the "sight picture" during final, but I'm sure with more practice, it will come together. The glass instrument panel is also a challenge, having learned on steam. I'm still accustomed to scanning and getting inputs from the movement of the needles to mentally process things, maybe a relic from my instrument training. I wont be flying IFR anymore so maybe I need to re-learn the art of looking out the damn window.

Our journeys almost read the same. First lesson Feb. '79, soloed in Sept '80; finished Dec. 2001, instrument 2002. 23 or 24 years. lol.

I hadn't flown since '06 (and very little since that instrument raging in '02) and started back up in '17 and just got my commercial last Sept.

Back