Taking Written Exam Multiple Times??

Vivskivs

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Vivskivs
I am working on my PPL and am almost ready for the written but had a question. I understand to pass, you need above 70% but have been advised to take it after consistently scoring above 90% on the practice tests. My question is, if I take the test and pass with an 83%, for instance, should I retake it to score higher, and will the DPE see the multiple attempts or only the best score or last score?

Will a higher score reduce the chances of a long oral during the checkride?
Thanks in advance for any insight or advice

I am working on my PPL and am almost ready for the written but had a question. I understand to pass, you need above 70% but have been advised to take it after consistently scoring above 90% on the practice tests. My question is, if I take the test and pass with an 83%, for instance, should I retake it to score higher, and will the DPE see the multiple attempts or only the best score or last score?

I have not seen any direct, identifiable correlation between the score on the written test and the length or difficulty of the oral portion of the checkride. To me, if you pass, retaking it just for a better score is a waste of time and effort. Sure, if you want to go back and review your test prep software so you can better understand what you got wrong and why, that’s great. But to pay for a retest? Not worth it.

The advice about practicing enough so that you get a 90% before taking it is sound in concept though, you want to be pretty sure you’re pass it before you go in.

To mangle the joke about doctors, what do you call the Private pilot who passed the written with a 70%? “Pilot.”

I don’t know if it’s like the SAT anyway. A passing score replaces a failing score. But i don’t know that a higher passing score replaces a lower passing score. Or, if all attempts are shown.

the purpose of the written & oral are different. The written ensures you know the material (or at least recognize the correct answer). The oral is where you demonstrate you can recall the information & apply that knowledge to situations on the fly (or at least know where to find the answers, if it is a reg).

your instructor should prep you for the oral as you train. Mock orals with a different instructor or new pilot who just did one are helpful too, I think.

The DE will look at the report that shows areas of possible weakness on the written, and may spend extra time on those during the oral. That being said, a mid-80's score is not going to draw a lot of attention. A mid-70s score likely will though, either because you have one area that really needs work, or your understanding of the material was borderline at the time of the test and needs improvement. You can show that improvement either by retaking the test, which is a hassle and $s, or you can show that improvement by knowing your stuff on the oral.

For the oral, you should discuss with your CFI what areas you should know "cold" without any reference, and which things are ok to look up during the oral, but knowing exactly where to find that information in the FAR/AIM/POH, etc.

70 or better is passing - and is good enough is good enough

don’t overthink this

it’s kind of like your number of hours - no one cares if you have 50 hours or 150 hours when you take the checkride. What matters is that you learned the material and have the skills

Take the test when you understand the material. When your comfortable with your practice test go for it .

Our local DPE used to say you wasted too much time if you had a real high score on the test.

I wouldn't waste the time and money retaking a test I passed.

To mangle the joke about doctors, what do you call the Private pilot who passed the written with a 70%? “Pilot.”

To mangle it further:

What do you call the person who finished last-in-class in law school, then squeaked by with the lowest passing grade on the bar exam?

"Senator"

This is my 1st post on this side of the forum (I've spent the last few years in the dark side...the medical forum side) so excuse my excitement. Getting a really good score on your ppl written test should be a breeze if you study a bit and spend some time. I studied the gleim online course for about 3 weeks. I took the test 2 weeks ago and passed with 98%. to be totally honest I am a little ticked off that I missed one question. it is honestly not that hard bur if you don't take it seriously and wing it then yes you'd probably still pass. I wouldn't want to just pass. just passing it means your oral will be that much harder. my advice is to buckle down for 2 weeks and really study it. you'll pass with flying colors. good luck.

Your exam report includes your Score (e.g. 98%), Grade (e.g. Pass), and Take (e.g. 2) among other things. So the short answer is yes, they can see from your FAA Airman Knowledge Test Report how many times you took the test. Whether they care, I cannot say.

Anything above 70 is wasted effort :)

DPE only sees the last one. What he wants to see is the missed section codes and your instructor having addressed them (as required by the regs).

DPE only sees the last one. What he wants to see is the missed section codes and your instructor having addressed them (as required by the regs).
The DPE also has to address them, so a lower score could possibly result in a longer oral.

The DPE also has to address them, so a lower score could possibly result in a longer oral.

alternatively, a high score may be an excuse for the DPE to grill the know-it-all who scores a 100 to see if he really knows his stuff or is just good at taking tests.

Aim for a high score but don't retake it if you pass just to get a higher one. Waste of money and time in my opinion.

Back