Taking My first flight lesson soon...

Actually you should have and you should probably make sure you tell your CFI that you've used it when you start training. Again. I'm of the opinion that FSX can be useful in training if approached correctly. Enjoy your disco flight and let us know how you liked it.

I also believe that PC "flight simulators" can be useful as part of the training regime but it needs to be part of the plan and supervised or you'll just acquire habits that must be unlearned. At this point I'd suggest that Snaggle "confess his sins" WRT FSX to his CFI as part of their pre-flight briefing and strive to keep his eyes outside and learn how to read that big attitude indicator in the sky. My original reason for mentioning PC sims was that I've known other newbies to "bone up" on their PC "flying" the night before their first real flight in the left seat of an airplane and I was advising Snaggle to refrain from that.

I knew I should not have said anything about FSX.....

Don't worry about it. As you frequent the board more you'll find out who gives good advice and who just talks BS.

Actually a good thing you mentioned it- you got a bit more advice and some of it good.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask, especially at this stage in learning to fly.

One more thing you'll learn is that there are sometimes several ways to accomplish the same thing. Some of the choices are equally safe and correct but people will argue about them ad infinitum.

Keep an open mind and keep asking questions.

I knew I should not have said anything about FSX.....

I hear ya......I feel like a pledge again.:rofl:

Oh well, I'm here to learn and w/that I'm gonna say and ask stupid things. If ya don't say whats on your mind, then people won't really know ya. I don't like to beat around the bush, I say what I think.

Don't let it get to ya Snag, alot of good info here. Don't take it as a putdown as I'm sure it wasn't.

Can't wait to see how your first flight goes. Good luck and have fun.

edit: whoops, I'm a slow poster. this was gonna be right after the quote post. oh well. glad I figured right.

Last edited:
And unlike Jay, I haven't seen you behave this badly before so I have to wonder what was the real cause of this little tantrum.
Jay's opinion of me "behaving badly" is not behaving badly at all. It's the fact that I'm a critic of the structural integrity of a lot of homebuilt aircraft and he's obviously on the other side of the fence. It stems solely from that difference in opinion rather than "bad behavior" on my part, unless dissent from the party line of the EAA is an offense here.

I don't engage in personal attacks just to attack the person as that is poor form, and it's normally that I am criticizing a stance, a comment or an action by that person. Now, a lot of thin-skinned people who aren't used to anything but PC hands-off ego stroking and polite "criticism" take anything said that isn't counterbalanced with a positive ("You broke the landing gear off and seriously injured everyone on your aircraft because of your hard landing but hey, the way you deployed those flaps screams "future airline pilot of the year!" Way to go kiddo! ")as a personal attack simply because they can't think of it as anything else and/or come up with a better rebuttal.

Anything I say is not meant as a personal attack unless it is specifically prefaced such as "Bob is a ****ing troglodytic retard who drools on himself and ****es on cue whenever faced with marginal VFR conditions." That's a personal attack (unless Bob happens to be a cave dweller with Downs Syndrome and fear-induced incontienence). Saying "What do a penguin and JFK, Jr have in common? Women thought both of them were really cute but neither of them can fly worth a damn" is not. It's a statement of facts already in evidence.

I've never had a problem with flight sim game experience in private pilots starting out. In my unscientific survey it seems to help. Now instrument training is another story.

I also think rolling a 172 in a sim says nothing about risk management skills as there is no risk in MSFS, sheesh.

Joe

I also think rolling a 172 in a sim says nothing about risk management skills as there is no risk in MSFS, sheesh.

I consider my self a fairly conservative pilot (of course, I don't know many pilot who feel otherwise about themselves), yet I've done some rather unconservative flying on PC sims. When MSFS first came out I spent several hours learning how to fly the biplane inverted through a hangar, yet for some strange reason I've never been tempted in the slightest to try the real thing. Seems to me there's not much of a connetion between sim antics and real life flying. I've also (successfully) rolled SimCom's Baron sim and the B2 sim at Whiteman AFB, but my Baron's never been past 60 degrees of bank AFaIK even though I'm certain I could perform that maneuver in it without significant risk.

Well this thread turned out great.

BTW, When I said "I can roll all day." I meant that as I don't get motion sickness. I never even implied I plan on rolling a Cessna.

I may play a flight sim, but I ain't that dumb.

I won't be posting anymore in this thread.

I won't be posting anymore in this thread.
Please don't disappear from the forum; we need the perspectives of those learning to fly just as much as we need those of folks with tens of thousands of hours in everything from Cubs to 747s.

Please don't disappear from the forum; we need the perspectives of those learning to fly just as much as we need those of folks with tens of thousands of hours in everything from Cubs to 747s.

Besides, we'll want to hear how your first flight went as soon as it's over!

I have no plans on leaving the forum. But this thread has got way to hot for me, and to avoid steeping on anyone's Else toes, I'm pulling out of this thread, and I'll start a new one the moment I get home from the lesson.

First of all... What Lance said, +1000. Well put.

As much of a jerk as I am (and I freely admit it), the last thing I want is to hear about a crash and especially one that happened because of poor decision making when it is someone I have talked to or known.

Steve,

You might want to temper the "jerk" because your message will not get across if you are a jerk about it.

You seem to have a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde thing going on on the board here. A lot of the time, you're a nice enough guy and good to have around, and I think we could really learn from your knowledge of accidents, if you would just be informative instead of aim a flamethrower at us.

The rest of the time, I wonder if you're not just trying to make aviation safer at all costs - That is, if there are no more pilots, there will be no more accidents. :dunno: Really, it behooves all of us to make sure that as many qualified, competent people become pilots as possible. The fewer pilots, the more it costs to fly. Cut the pilot population 75% from what it is now and you'll only be able to rent airplanes in NYC, Chicago and LA and a 172 will cost $1,000/hr. Do you think that would help proficiency? Hell no.

So, turn down the flamethrower and attempt to be *constructive* and you might actually manage to accomplish something. Being "blunt" as you call it, as you have in this thread, does not do a damn thing for safety.

FSX is a fine tool and I respectfully disagree with SteveInMichigan and am highly disappointed in how he chooses to talk to new members and new pilots which we greatly need.

There is a lot of really good advice on this forum and some bad advice. Luckily, I'm sure, you can sort through who tends to post the bad.

Enjoy the flying and stay safe. :)

Thread hijack again. Would you guys please take your fight outside.

I have no plans on leaving the forum. But this thread has got way to hot for me, and to avoid steeping on anyone's Else toes, I'm pulling out of this thread, and I'll start a new one the moment I get home from the lesson.

Snaggle, Trust me when I say this is not the trend on this Forum! I am amazed at how a simple thread has turned in a Barroom brawl! :frown2: WTF?

Most of us look forward to hearing about your experience. :smile:

Last edited:
Thread hijack again. Would you guys please take your fight outside.

Snaggle, Trust me when I say this is not the trend on this Forum! I am amazed at how a simple thread has turned in a Barroom brawl! :frown2: WTF?
I agree. However, should we let statements like Steve's stand unchallenged?

Most of us look forward to hearing about your experience. :smile:
Indeed.

I agree. However, should we let statements like Steve's stand unchallenged?.

If you feel that strongly about it, why not take it off-line and e-mail him directly?

But, If it gets real bad, I suppose we can find a couple of "six" guns and you can shoot it out!:rofl:

Last edited:
If you feel that strongly about it, take it off-line and e-mail him directly.
But that doesn't do anything to clarify the issue with the original poster or anyone else who might be reading.

I haven't had Microsoft Flight Simulator on a computer for many years. However, when I was learning in 1994 it did come in handy. I used to fly cross countries on it, tuning the VOR's and triangulating my position among other things. Remember, we take for granted that we know all the instruments and how they work. To a student, this is all new territory. FSX can be helpfull in getting the basics down.

My only advice is to schedule to fly at least three times a week. One of the days the weather will crap out and you'll end up flying two times a week on average. You want to do this to avoid having to re-learn stuff. Also, be prepared for lessons. Go over what you are going to do in advance then after the lesson review how you did and what you could do to improve. With power on (departure) stalls you'll be saying "right rudder, right rudder, right rudder" in your sleep. I know I did. :D

All the FSX and sim stuff aside.

Have a good time, do tell us about your flight. But most of all make sure you train in a real aircraft aka as a low wing. Those high wing planes are for pilots who just cannot handle real airplanes ;)

:)

Have a good time, do tell us about your flight. But most of all make sure you train in a real aircraft aka as a low wing. Those high wing planes are for pilots who just cannot handle real airplanes ;)

:)
He's half right. Train in a high wing. Getting out of the plane in a rainshower, you soon discover that those low-wing guys are ALL WET! :):rofl: Plus, many high-wings give you a pilot-side door that those low-wings forgot!:)

Real airplanes have tailwheels.:smile:

Snaggle - Enjoy that first lesson, and be sure to get back here and tell us about it. It is good for the flying soul to read about the enthusiasm of people enjoying their first lessons.

Tim

Last edited:
Real Real airplanes dont have engines.... :D
I thought it was that gliders were for people who cannot master the throttle? ;)

or too cheap to pay for fuel!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

But the point I was trying to make and I think I was. Is that we can disagree and laugh about certain things without it getting ugly. M$ flight sim has its place, using it will not kill you if you then get in a real plane (low wing with engine). But use it correctly.

I certainly hope that no potential student of aviation ever stumbles upon this thread in hopes of finding intelligent encouragement. First we go on and on about nausea, then we blast the newcomer for daring to use Flight Simulator, then we blast each other for blasting him, then we devolve into inanities about what is or isn't a real airplane. We look like a bunch of fools. Ones that don't welcome eager questioners. I have gotten fed up with trying to ignore what I take to be trolls on this thread because I know some of the people carrying on are not trolls. What happened?

But that doesn't do anything to clarify the issue with the original poster or anyone else who might be reading.

And what issue is that? The original poster asked a simple question that has been torn
into so many different directions. Even the original poster has bailed from the thread. Like the picture says....
picture.php

Last edited:
And what issue is that? The original poster asked a simple question that has been torn
into so many different directions. Even the original poster has bailed from the thread. Like the picture says....
picture.php
What I meant was, if we just let posts that we disagree with pass without comment it seems like we are, by default, agreeing with them.

Actually I try not to comment most of the time even when I disagree with something, but the thought that rolling a sim leads to rolling an airplane seemed like such a ridiculous idea to me that I couldn't resist.

To the original poster, have fun on your intro ride and let us know how it turned out.

Last edited:
For f--- sake let it go. I have kids at home, don't need to read/hear the same bs here............but it is kinda funny........if you have kids ya know what I mean.:nono::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Light'n up, all.

SNAGG, how'd it go? Wasn't today the day?

Did ya PUKE! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wednesday at 1pm is when my lesson is.

Hope the weather cooperates for you!

:smile:

Keep in mind that flying attracts all sorts of folks -- most (not all!) intelligent, and intelligent people are usually strongly opinionated.

As you progress in aviation you have all sorts of religious wars to wade through: High wing v low wing, all flaps or some flaps, spin or no spin, glass or 6 pack, autopilot or hand fly....

It keeps things interesting as we pass the time down here until we get back up there!

Boy, talk about a hijack!

various posters said:
Have a good time, do tell us about your flight. But most of all make sure you train in a real aircraft aka as a low wing. Those high wing planes are for pilots who just cannot handle real airplanes.

Getting out of the plane in a rainshower, you soon discover that those low-wing guys are ALL WET!

Real airplanes have tailwheels.

Real Real airplanes dont have engines...

Wednesday at 1pm is when my lesson is.

I hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoyed my flight today. 10 months is too long to not fly. You have been warned in earlier posts, this game is adictive. Very adictive. Consume you, it will.

Have fun.

Todays the day!!
I'll post the results in a thread called "my first flight lesson: results"

Back