Taking my first flight lesson: results

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
It went great!! It was so fun!!!!! I can't wait to go up again!
We preflight checked the plane, then my CFI taxied the Cessna 152, then we did the run up, got clearance for take off, then it happened.... my CFI told me to add full power and take off!! I thought he would take off, but it was all me!! Then we did a few turns, did straight and level flight for a while then landed. The CFI had most of the controls while landing.

I did not get sick, much to my mothers dislike. lol.
she was hoping I would get airsick and could not fly. rofl

I have a call in to the flight school to schedule a full 1 hour flight lesson. I can't wait.

Oh, and just so everyone knows... I had not problem with staring in to the instruments. The instructor thought nothing of me played lots of FSX. He thought it was good. (but lets not make a big deal over me playing FSX.)

My favorite quote holds true.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. "
-Leonardo da Vinci

You have got the fever... bad news.. it will NEVER go away and there is not a patch you can wear to get over it.:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin:..

We knew you would love it.. Get your PPL and you will never look back.

Cheers.
Ben.

I did not get sick, much to my mothers dislike. lol.
she was hoping I would get airsick and could not fly. rofl
Good for you. Tell Mom there are lots worse things you could be doing with your time. And the company you keep is the cream of humanity.

Congrats! Keep us posted on your progress!

Yay. I am so excited for you. Sounds as if you had a GREAT flight. Now....do it all at once. No stopping and starting. It get's expensive that way.

Congratulations, now you'll need to start a blog to keep us up to date. Enjoy!!

WELCOME THE WORLD OF AVAITION. SNAG.
We love it and you will too, And everyone on PoA board will help and support you. If you have any questions just ASK, we have a Very Knowledgable group here. And remember ther is NO DUMB question.
Congrats Dave G.

I must say that my first experience wasnt quite so magical. When i landed, i had a hell of a headache and was quite a bit disoriented. I started to question whether or not it was for me, and spent much of the rest of that day and the day after reconsidering. Once i felt better, I told myself to persevere and the reward would come. I am now 26 hours into my instruction and look forward to every flight. I am so glad i stuck with it, and i welcome every new experience. Im glad you are so enthusiastic, i hope it keeps growing!

BTW, i am new here and finally registered after browsing for a bit. I hope to learn a lot from everyone.

Boy am I glad I did not have any problems like that!! I was having to much fun flying to feel sick lol.

You've now got the fever that not even cowbell can cure. You're stuck, just like the rest of us. Go have fun. And if you think you've got a grin on your face now, just wait until you solo. That grin will never come off.

Glad to hear it Snag! Do you remember the N number? I remember the number from when I was a kid and the first time I got to go up w/dad...at least I think I do.....97657R.

Did your CFI tell you what books to get?

I'm excited for ya. I can't wait for our runway to get done, one more month.

Keep us updated!:thumbsup::cheers:

Mom took pics, so I'm sure I have the N number. My CFI did not tell me what books to get, but this was only a intro flight. So I'm sure he will next time.

Mom took pics, so I'm sure I have the N number. My CFI did not tell me what books to get, but this was only a intro flight. So I'm sure he will next time.
Ah, that's starting the whole "what instructor shall I get" discussion! First, I'm glad you had a great time on your first flight! :yes: Second, be sure to fly with a few instructors and select the one that clicks best with you.

I must say that my first experience wasnt quite so magical. When i landed, i had a hell of a headache and was quite a bit disoriented. I started to question whether or not it was for me, and spent much of the rest of that day and the day after reconsidering. Once i felt better, I told myself to persevere and the reward would come. I am now 26 hours into my instruction and look forward to every flight. I am so glad i stuck with it, and i welcome every new experience. Im glad you are so enthusiastic, i hope it keeps growing!

BTW, i am new here and finally registered after browsing for a bit. I hope to learn a lot from everyone.
Welcome, Joe.

I hope the headaches have quit. You may want to be sure you have a drink of water or something before flying. Dehydration occurs more quickly at altitude than on the ground and its main symptom is a headache.

Say good-bye to your bank account!!!

And the company you keep is the cream of humanity.

Well, to be totally honest there area few kurds but she doesn't need to know about that.

Snaggle, what you can tell her (and remember for yourself) is that ANY alcohol related driving issues will have serious consequences WRT your flying privileges so you obviously will NEVER consider driving a car with a hint of impairment.

In any case it's good that all went well, it's wonderful to see a young pilot so excited about flying.

Boy am I glad I did not have any problems like that!! I was having to much fun flying to feel sick lol.

Chances are that Joe suffered from a sinus congestion issue, I've had an occasional problem with that myself but it's never stopped me (other than temporarily) from flying. That does raise an important point that you will be learning about soon, you need to "preflight" your body as well as the airplane. For now I'd just recommend that if you're feeling ill in any way, especially something that involves congestion, or medication be sure to call your CFI and solicit his opinion WRT any upcoming flight lesson. As enthused as you are about flying there will be a strong temptation to just ignore any health issues and fly, but that can lead to some bad consequences, the least of which will likely be a lack of learning/progress on such a flight.

Well, to be totally honest there area few kurds but she doesn't need to know about that.

Snaggle, what you can tell her (and remember for yourself) is that ANY alcohol related driving issues will have serious consequences WRT your flying privileges so you obviously will NEVER consider driving a car with a hint of impairment.

In any case it's good that all went well, it's wonderful to see a young pilot so excited about flying.
and drugs

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. "
-Leonardo da Vinci

On of my favorites too and so true, welcome to the nut house... you may be nuts but you'll like it here. The rest of us do!

If you have any questions just ASK, we have a Very Knowledgable group here. And remember ther is NO DUMB question.

Just take everything with a grain of salt. Pilots are opinionated and will tell it like they think it is. Usually there is lots of good information in there amonst all the crud. Being aware that playing on flight sims may effect you means that it probally wont affect you as much. Just blow off the negative stuff.

Welcome,
Missa

Congrats, Snag... and Joe!
A word to both of you regarding nausea or other negative physical effects: if and when it happens, don't dwell on it. I think most pilots will agree that they have had issues at one time or another, especially in training. Some battle nausea for most of their training, some don't have any problem for years, then have a bad day, out of the blue.

It's hard work, taxing your brain with weird new concepts while subjecting your body to weird new sensations, but most people get used to it, if they are willing to get back in the saddle.

Congrats and welcome new pilot. We enjoy your posts as you are learning, as it brings back our times of training. It alway helps to know you have all of us cheering you on! When times are tuff we will help you through. Keep your eyes to the sky.

Thanks for all the replys everyone!!

No worries on me driving drunk. I can't stand the smell of alcoholic drinks. Much less the taste of them!

Oh, and my next flight lesson will be next wednesday at 12pm!

That's great Snag! I see you're in Texas--what area? What airport are you flying out of?

Ahh, first flights!

My first flight was not fun until the day after. I was so concentrated on doing everything right and absorbing whatever I could, I didn't take the time to realize how much I enjoyed it. As I was driving home, I was bummed.

"How can the thing I've always wanted not be as fun as I hoped?!?"

That evening, I started thinking about the flight more....

That night, I dreamt about flying.

The next morning, I was still thinking about it, and by mid afternoon the next day, I was practically screaming "SCHEDULE ME AGAIN!" into the phone talking to the FBO.

The CFI announced over the radio that we were taking off...

The CFI announced over the radio that we were taking off...

Oh, I see. That isn't really clearance, just a call out.

I'm glad you had fun. Flying is an awesome hobby, huh!
As you progress you will learn the lingo and the word clearance has some specific meanings to pilots. Gosh!! you are gonna have fun, there is so much to learn that it will seem daunting, but it will come.

When you start your book work, pay some attention to the pilot/controller glossary to learn some of the lingo.

Clearance, which is shortened from Air Traffic Clearence means this:
AIR TRAFFIC CLEARANCE- An authorization by air traffic control for the purpose of preventing collision between known aircraft, for an aircraft to proceed under specified traffic conditions within controlled airspace. The pilot-in-command of an aircraft may not deviate from the provisions of a visual flight rules (VFR) or instrument flight rules (IFR) air traffic clearance except in an emergency or unless an amended clearance has been obtained. Additionally, the pilot may request a different clearance from that which has been issued by air traffic control (ATC) if information available to the pilot makes another course of action more practicable or if aircraft equipment limitations or company procedures forbid compliance with the clearance issued. Pilots may also request clarification or amendment, as appropriate, any time a clearance is not fully understood, or considered unacceptable because of safety of flight. Controllers should, in such instances and to the extent of operational practicality and safety, honor the pilot's request. 14 CFR Part 91.3(a) states: "The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft." THE PILOT IS RESPONSIBLE TO REQUEST AN AMENDED CLEARANCE if ATC issues a clearance that would cause a pilot to deviate from a rule or regulation, or in the pilot's opinion, would place the aircraft in jeopardy.
As was pointed out, self announcement at non-ATC controlled airports are not really clearences per our pilot jargon.

Yeah, not clearance, a call out. Thanks for pointing that out!

Glad to hear you had fun. As others have pointed out, the bug has bitten well and hard, and you'll never get away from it...

I learned to fly out of Ellington Field, and occasionally used LBX as an airport to practice at. I had one particularly memorable lesson there. It's a good place to learn.

Back