Taking a poll - fly-in events

phludzenski

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
phludzenski
How important is it for a "fly-in" event to be held at an airport? Is it worth flying in if the event is 5 minutes off-site but free shuttle service is offered? What kind of incentives would make this more attractive to pilots?

I'm trying to help a small community better leverage their airport. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If the event is right, I'd go.

BBQ or just hang out, no.
See something cool; car show, baby pig racing, festival... maybe

It just depends on the event. The very few flys-in I have done have consisted of chillin' with da homies at restaurants within ten minutes walking time of the airports for lunch. Events of drunken debauchery generally require significant and overnight logistics anyway, so the location becomes less important.

Yeah, I guess it depends what you call an event. Here in Norcal, we have done many smaller flyins (up to 20 people) and most of them require at least a short walk to an off airport restaurant. Little River, there is a guy (Rex) with a van and for a few bucks, he shuttles us into Mendocino or Fort Bragg. We have done an overnight to Shelter Cove, as well. Half Moon Bay is about a 10 minute walk to the restaurant and so is Columbia.

At many of the fly-ins I've gone to, the whole purpose of the fly-in is to have a burger or pancake in a hangar and walk around looking at and talking about airplanes. These things are usually put on by the airport manager, or the EAA, or something like that. That's what I call a "fly-in". So, given that definition, no, having it off-airport obviously wouldn't work.

Back