Takeoff and land a 172 with 0 Hours

ErnDollas

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ErnDollas
I was listening to a podcast and heard about a guy who had 0 hours of training in an aircraft but a lot of experience with flightsims. Through talking with his friends he was challenged to takeoff and land with no instruction. The beggining of the video lays it all out. Sorry if this has been posted before, don't know how old it is. If you just want to see him fly it starts about 6 minutes into it. He does have a CFI with him in the plane.

http://youtu.be/jJT_CACIZqs

HA! I can't even takeoff and land a helicopter on the RC simulator.

I figured the same thing. I'm sure the CFI with him didn't want to die so there had to be some intervention. I would assume the CFI was on the rudder pedals for the landing. Judging from his non use of them during the takeoff.

I noticed that the instructor called "my airplane" and the video cut out. wonder what happened. Re the helo, I have never seen any table top sim for a helo that even comes close to reality. MSFS has a pretty close one that I have fun with, but the mayhem and destruction aside, the audio from that experiment would be priceless. :yesnod:

The Wright bros did it....

We landed on the moon with no actual experience.....

The Wright bros did it....

We landed on the moon with no actual experience.....

To be really picky, the Wrights had many hours of glider flight behind them before they added an engine, and in the microgravity of the Moon the landing was very similar to a zero G docking maneuver, which Armstrong and Aldrin both had experience at.

I was listening to a podcast and heard about a guy who had 0 hours of training in an aircraft but a lot of experience with flightsims. Through talking with his friends he was challenged to takeoff and land with no instruction. The beggining of the video lays it all out. Sorry if this has been posted before, don't know how old it is. If you just want to see him fly it starts about 6 minutes into it. He does have a CFI with him in the plane.

http://youtu.be/jJT_CACIZqs

A fellow by the name of Ortis Deley in the UK did the same thing for a TV show. He trained using X-Plane. I believe his attempt predates the other video and I think is more entertaining and more convincing:

It's the internet so you can all call BS if you want. But my intro flight was my first time ever in a GA plane, and the instructor never touched the controls while we were in the plane. I was one of those 1000s of hours of sim guys and did have a ground school class that was offered in high school 14 years prior and dug out all my notes and pamphlets, and got familiar with everything before going up.

I took off and landed on my first flight, but I wouldn't say that it wasn't without coaching from the CFI in my right seat. And technically, you can't land an airplane with "0" hours, as you took off and flew for at least some period of time before that :)

It's the internet so you can all call BS if you want. But my intro flight was my first time ever in a GA plane, and the instructor never touched the controls while we were in the plane. I was one of those 1000s of hours of sim guys and did have a ground school class that was offered in high school 14 years prior and dug out all my notes and pamphlets, and got familiar with everything before going up.

Same, spent thousands of hours on MSFS before I ever set foot in a plane. First landing wasa little rough, but the instructor let me have it the entire time.

That being said, if there'd been a significant crosswind, more turbulence, or a smaller runway, there's no way i could have pulled it off. I may have taken off, cruised, and landed a plane that first lesson, but I hadn't learned to actually fly until around my solo. Doing it as a technical exercise, and doing it as the art form it truly is are two very different things.

I nominate Ed as the

Greatest Pilot In The World
:rofl::rofl:

It's taken and I have it. Sorry. True story...

PS, Jesse? Pahleez. Can't even keep his own mods from outing members. Stellar attempt to suck up though! Props for that.

In order to have a coherent and lucid commentary, it helps to actually know the facts before yappin'.

In order to have a coherent and lucid commentary, it helps to actually know the facts before yappin'.

Really? You're not aware of the forum mods outing me? I could help you by 'posting the facts before (you start) yappin'.

Link for EdFred

Post #5

'Greatest Pilot in the World' Jesse chimes in on post 11. To date, nobody has taken time to even say 'sorry' to me. Not holding my breath, mind you...just seems the decent thing to do. Not going to happen here though. At least not to date.

Last edited:
Link for EdFred

Post #5

'Greatest Pilot in the World' Jesse chimes in on post 11. To date, nobody has taken time to even say 'sorry' to me. Not holding my breath, mind you...just seems the decent thing to do. Not going to happen here though. At least not to date.

Post 33, same thread.

To date, nobody has taken time to even say 'sorry' to me. Not holding my breath, mind you...just seems the decent thing to do. Not going to happen here though. At least not to date.

Nothing to be sorry for. Publicly available information identifies you. Perhaps you feel otherwise. Perhaps you don't have to hang around for this self perceived abuse. Perhaps you're just saying that folks here are mean to you but you like it.

Nothing to be sorry for. Publicly available information identifies you. Perhaps you feel otherwise. Perhaps you don't have to hang around for this self perceived abuse. Perhaps you're just saying that folks here are mean to you but you like it.

No, I don't like it.

This thread is WAY off course and that is my fault. But the forum mods do owe me an appology. They outed me and that is a breach of basic rights on a forum such as this. Imagine they one day posted an entire list of everyone with their user name and real name. Couple that with the FAA database and all our addresses are known.

The mods knew that and posted my info anyway. No PM warning whatsoever. Just, 'hey, let's out this guy. I don't like his posts.'

So, there we are. Probably time for another break for me.

ttfn

Post 51 after that.

I added 'Cameron' to my display name after the fact. Since changed it back...

It's your story, tell it however you want.

You can always squawk 1200, and I don't think anyone would care.

No, post 51 shows the story. Third party not involved. I don't need to 'tell a story'. The truth is entertaining enough. Mods on PoA out members and its sanctioned and its fact.

No, post 51 shows the story. Third party not involved. I don't need to 'tell a story'. The truth is entertaining enough. Mods on PoA out members and its sanctioned and its fact.

"Objection, hearsay."

"Objection sustained."

Captain seems to think that someone used some super-secret database to obtain his identity in efforts to ... ???

Reality is you can find his identify in about two minutes on Google without using any secret information which is what someone did. I showed him how it could be done via PM. Of course he fails to mention that he was ID'd because he has a public website on his own domain with his name. Why this matters now? I don't know.

CaptainObvious said:
Jesse? Pahleez. Can't even keep his own mods from outing members. Stellar attempt to suck up though! Props for that.
The day I apologize to CaptainObvious about whatever he thinks happened will be the same day that Ed gives a crap about sucking up to the MC. Which will probably be the day after he gets a girlfriend :D

Captain seems to think that someone used some super-secret database to obtain his identity in efforts to ... ???

I never said that. Those are your words, not mine.

Reality is you can find his identify in about two minutes on Google without using any secret information which is what someone did.

I challenge that. 2 minutes? 120 seconds? I accept that challenge and say you can't do it in that time. It would take multiples of that amount of time just to read my posts. Then to grasp what I said and then sort out identifying information? WAY past the 'two minute' mark.

Oh, and the most egregious of your post. 'Which is what someone did'. Really? No, not 'someone'. It was a mod. It is very likely they didn't do the detective work you suggest and simply lifted my data off my registration and POSTED IT!!!!!

I showed him how it could be done via PM. Of course he fails to mention that he was ID'd because he has a public website on his own domain with his name. Why this matters now? I don't know.

A lie. How about a link to said domain under my name? Oh? Can't provide it? Interesting...maybe because you lied.

The day I apologize to CaptainObvious about whatever he thinks happened will be the same day that Ed gives a crap about sucking up to the MC. Which will probably be the day after he gets a girlfriend :D

Nice...lie about me, out me, and slander me. Slap on top I can't get laid. Nice forum you're running here.

Ya know what? I've been an admin before and I can do it again. I'm going to make it my goal to crush this place in terms of users. You started this. Outing members private info is poor form. Remember that as its the last thing I post here.

Bwhahahahahah. He was talking about me getting a girlfriend, you tool! It's been a long running joke...since...oh 2005.

Bwhahahahahah. He was talking about me getting a girlfriend, you tool! It's been a long running joke...since...oh 2005.

Oh yeah, missed that. My bad. I was seeing red by that point. Disregard the 'slap on top' bit. The rest stands.

It is very likely they didn't do the detective work you suggest and simply lifted my data off my registration and POSTED IT!!!!!

A first name is hardly an 'outing'. Is this Pilot's Anonymous? Anyway, it seems like an accident.

A first name is hardly an 'outing'. Is this Pilot's Anonymous? Anyway, it seems like an accident.

Knowing what actually happened makes his temper tantrum even funnier.

Back