Takeoff aborted due to runway incursion.

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
Had to abort a takeoff this morning because a couple of guys, who were NORDO, intruded onto the runway.

We endued up dragging the balloon most of the length of the runway to get it off the runway, then helped them deflate it and pack it up.

A most interesting start to the day.

20171013_082254.jpg 20171013_083145.jpg

He landed right on the numbers.
Nailed it!

Next to my local drome, KOJC, there is a large empty field. A balloon was setting up there one evening. I was a solo student at the time. OJC is a Class D airport - he was talking to tower, and I was doing pattern work. He drifted slowly across the rwy and I had to go around at least one time. It was pretty cool to watch.

It wasn't actually a runway incursion. You aborted your takeoff since the aircraft that landed had not exited the runway.

I like the balloons too. Pretty cool to watch, and usually a sign of good flying conditions to see em out and about.
Returning from a solo XC one day and a guy was taking off. I kept my distance but flew around him.
Not so nice when I'm in the sim .. they turn into targets lol.

Had to abort a takeoff this morning because a couple of guys, who were NORDO, intruded onto the runway.
When I was flying out of Spearfish, SD in 1995 a balloon cross the runway when I was taking off. I was a student pilot flying solo. Don't know how I missed seeing a balloon crossing the runway when I took off but it happened. Made a sharp turn to the right to avoid a midair collision. I could see the whites of their eyes when I made the turn. Scared the pants off me.

I talked to the pilot of the balloon later and we agreed it would be a good idea for him to notify the FBO when he was flying the balloon.

A decade or so ago you could get the balloons and the meat missiles flying out of a Caravan simultaneously at I68 nearby. That was always "fun."

Looks like a beautiful day for flying wherever you were! Have not seen a day like that around here on a day I have off in a really long time! Glad you avoided the balloons

For those of you in the NC area, the Ballon Fest at Statesville is this weekend. Hopefully they'll have good weather for it. Info.

I got engaged on a hot air balloon flight. They landed back on a moving boat in the middle of Lake Tahoe. Pretty impressive.

Back