Take this job and shove it!--Poll

Have you ever...

• Quit a job with loss of "status"/income without regret?

Votes: 59 66.3%
  • Quit a job with loss of "status"/income and regretted it?

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Wished you could quit your job but feel trapped by the "status"/income?

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • I never have quit, but could if necessary.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I'm too much of a weenie to do anything this bold.

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I feel trapped due to years with company and the pension associated with those years plus the few remaining years to retirement. If I was younger, well………

Kaye

I feel trapped due to years with company and the pension associated with those years plus the few remaining years to retirement. If I was younger, well………

Kaye

Pension??? ya I have one too, I wonder if it will be there when I need it. But my company stopped giving pensions eligibility to new employees a few years ago. Fortunately, we also have 401k and I have been contribution to that for a while.

Pension??? ya I have one too, I wonder if it will be there when I need it. But my company stopped giving pensions eligibility to new employees a few years ago. Fortunately, we also have 401k and I have been contribution to that for a while.

Since I'm in the Finance arena, I'm comfortable that the pension is still secure. But I watch that issue closely since we do have a cash-out option. And I max the 401K including the over 50 additional contribution.

Judy. Well done and well said. You are a class act.

Aunt Peggy,

You are a stellar individual. Wish you were my aunt.

I'm stuck by the income leash like a lot of others. Actually, my family has more come to depend on my income than me. If I were flying solo, I could sell the house and all the goodies, pay off all my debt, and fly my trustee Cherokee down somewhere in the little latitudes and support myself quite well on a low stress job.

Since this post is starting to sound like a Jimmy Buffett song......

I'm stuck by the income leash like a lot of others. Actually, my family has more come to depend on my income than me. If I were flying solo, I could sell the house and all the goodies, pay off all my debt, and fly my trustee Cherokee down somewhere in the little latitudes and support myself quite well on a low stress job.

I was thinking of Banana Republics while reading it!

Signed...an avowed Parrotthead!

I have had about 9 lives & you wouldn't believe me if I said them all so I will give you the last... Propane & propane products.

PJ--how much would the family like to have more of YOU? Have you ever asked them?

Full disclosure--this is an easy question for me to ask because I don't have kids and my husband is retired. This has allowed me to not let my lifestyle expand to fit my income. Still, we'll have to do a couple of things differently, and my husband would sure like to have a less-stressed wife coming home to him.

Judy

and my husband would sure like to have a less-stressed wife coming home to him.

Judy
Less stressed wives (or husbands) are always a good thing.:yes:

(but especially wives.:goofy: )

Less stressed wives (or husbands) are always a good thing.:yes:

(but especially wives.:goofy: )

Mark,

Don't forget that I know your wife, perhaps better than I know you. Better watch out for the old girls' network! :hairraise:

:blowingkisses:

Judy

Mark,

Don't forget that I know your wife, perhaps better than I know you. Better watch out for the old girls' network! :hairraise:

:blowingkisses:

Judy
Well aware of that dear.

I so like to live dangerously...:yes:

This thread has popped up at an opportune time. I began interviewing for positions outside of my company recently, and have two exceptional opportunities that I am working.

Both are with very large firms, one is a retail financial services firm, the other a leading multi-product insurance firm. Both are pretty strong leadership and growth opportunities.

However, I find myself attracted to the financial services firm - they want someone to come in, at a slightly lower level than I am at today, and completely turn around a broken application development shop. Spread across three continents, these folks are missing dates repeatedly and are not firing on all spark plugs. It is an exceptional challenge, because these people are extremely brilliant but need focus and organizational buy in. I like the company because this has a bit of an entrepreneurial spirit to it - fix the team, grow customer satisfaction, and increase our revenue from internal business units.

Normally, I would be looking for something a little more secure, a little more solid, but why do that? I'm young and we don't have kids yet - put it all on the line and see what we can get in return.

Cheers,

-Andrew

This thread has popped up at an opportune time. I began interviewing for positions outside of my company recently, and have two exceptional opportunities that I am working.

Both are with very large firms, one is a retail financial services firm, the other a leading multi-product insurance firm. Both are pretty strong leadership and growth opportunities.

However, I find myself attracted to the financial services firm - they want someone to come in, at a slightly lower level than I am at today, and completely turn around a broken application development shop. Spread across three continents, these folks are missing dates repeatedly and are not firing on all spark plugs. It is an exceptional challenge, because these people are extremely brilliant but need focus and organizational buy in. I like the company because this has a bit of an entrepreneurial spirit to it - fix the team, grow customer satisfaction, and increase our revenue from internal business units.

Andrew,

Good luck. Note that typically the words "large firm" and "entrepreneurial" don't really go together.

If I were to guess I'd say that the problem is not the folks doing the development...the problem is probably with focus and buy in across the organization. Each czar looking for development resources for their part of the company.

If you want to chat I might know something about the company (27 years financial services industry). Use my home email address

lanetti@comcast.net

Len

Normally, I would be looking for something a little more secure, a little more solid, but why do that? I'm young and we don't have kids yet - put it all on the line and see what we can get in return.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Andrew,

Sounds like a good experience builder.

I have two thought processes that go on in a job search...

1) What's the worst that happens if I take this job? Usually, the answer is: find another job....

2) How does this set me up for my next job? What experiences will I gain, and how will it help me get ahead?

Best advice I ever got was to do a "life plan". Where do I want to get, and what's the path I want to take to get there?

Andrew,

That was not too dissimilar to the situation I faced when I took the job I just stepped down from. My team wasn't broken--it was highly functional and that was part of what attracted me--but it was a new team resulting from a merger.

I have one piece of advice: Make sure the company will give you the support--moral, financial, whatever you're going to need--to succeed. What I didn't bank on was a new boss (not the one who hired me) who wouldn't or couldn't give me those tools. There can be a tendency for organizations to hire white knights who are expected to do miracles. Even white knights, however, need backing.

Judy

Judy

(true story, the guy worked for Ford). The favorite old hillbilly walked into the boss and said "I quit". Boss asked, "aren't you going to give us noticed". Hillbilly replied "I just did". Now that's the line I'm dieing to use. :rofl:

Dave

Love it! After putting seemingly endless weekly hours into my retail camera store/photo lab for 27 years there came a time to, perhaps, experience more personal time. So I sold the inventory and assets, knowing that I could never be a couch potato and would be looking for(after a few months) a part time job. After two months I couldn't stand it -- all that free time on my hands -- and became a pharmacy technician. For 15 to 18 hours a week it became a non-sufficient use of my free time, so I quit and relaxed for a couple months until I again became bored. Then I became a Deli technician for a competing market chain. 35 hours a week, max. for part timers, but by working several nights a week I could fly during the day. The job was enjoyable, didn't present ownership concerns of yesteryear, and I regularly saw customers I'd known for decades. 1 1/2 years seemed to pass quickly.

Mother's Day, 2006: A gorgeous day, I had the noon-7:00 shift. I'd been there about 20 minutes and one customer became a royal PITA. After dealing with same I thought: in nearly 40 years, I'd never had a complete summer to myself; there's a plane to be flown, a Harley to be ridden, a large lawn which should be mowed more often than in its past 21 years, and then there's the
house, bigger than I need but I like it.

"That's it; I'm out of here," taking off my apron.
"What?"said a neighboring dept. head who had come over to assist.
I quit."
You ---- you --- you can't do that......."
"Watch me," and I punched out, remembering how many times I'd scored 100% upon visits by the Secret Shopper(s). Of course, knowing that the recently-invoked Social Security benefit would bring in more $$ than if I were to work a constant 35 hour week helped my decision to quit. Then came the summer.
For about four months it rained about four days out of six, certainly a rotten season for flying or motorcycles. But I'm yet to be bored. There are plenty of projects to tackle. And age? Purely, a state-of-mind.

HR
(Oh; who wants to use my guest room, next?)

Well, I'm resigning from my job today with no job to go to. I guess going from "aircraft design/certification engineer" to "bum" is a loss of income and prestige.

I'm giving them four weeks notice, then taking a week to travel New Zealand's south island and a month (give or take) to travel Australia before heading home to my parents' in British Columbia for a while to find a new job.

I've only put out one resume so far. If I get a job from that one, great (really, really great, actually). Otherwise, I'll start putting more effort into the job hunt when I get home.

Chris

The only reason I "regretted" quitting the job I previously had (Electricians Mate, USN) was not due to fiscal issues, &c; rather it was because I wasn't there to participate in all the world-changing historical events that have transpired since my separation from the Navy. Does that make sense?:dunno:

Jim
Sure makes sense to me and I was O-2.

Back