Take this job and shove it!--Poll

Have you ever...

• Quit a job with loss of "status"/income without regret?

Votes: 59 66.3%
  • Quit a job with loss of "status"/income and regretted it?

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Wished you could quit your job but feel trapped by the "status"/income?

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • I never have quit, but could if necessary.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I'm too much of a weenie to do anything this bold.

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

judypilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Judy Parrish
I meant to include a poll in my other thread. Sorry for the duplication. Anway, here's the poll:

I thought you could edit your other post to ass the poll in. Hmm, gotta check that. I can't see your poll, or I'd vote in it :D

Nick,

You must have been writing that just as I was posting the poll. It appears that the poll is posted after the accompanying message.

Judy

Yep - its there. And I voted. Can you guess how? lol

There's not a "none of the above" option. Whenever I've quit a job, I've always had something better lined up.

Technically, Ed, by not voting, you are voting for that. The way it is worded is "Have you ever...."

As Geddy Lee would say "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice!"

lol

There's not a "none of the above" option. Whenever I've quit a job, I've always had something better lined up.

A couple times I picked a date a couple weeks out and circled it on the calendar - after a paycheck, usually. That would be my last day.

I left without having a new job but I had the new job in less than a month.

Those were the days when techies were in demand.

I took a 70% paycut to leave my engineering job in the oil industry and go to graduate school to do a PhD in aerospace engineering. Five years later, I'm still making less than I did at the oil job. No regrets at all.

Chris

I've quit jobs before without anything else lined up. There comes a point to where enough is enough. Of course you have to be realistic about your survival without income for awhile. Of course I'm young--don't mind ramen and have no debt or financial commitments.

Last edited:
I took a 70% paycut to leave my engineering job in the oil industry and go to graduate school to do a PhD in aerospace engineering. Five years later, I'm still making less than I did at the oil job. No regrets at all.

Chris

Wow! You rock! I'm only taking a 40% pay cut.

The reason I'm posting this poll is I had a discussion on another forum when I was still considering the decision. I was amazed at the number of people who said they'd made a similar decision and were much happier for it. I briefly got hung up on the idea that I would somehow be seen as a quitter. I was thoroughly beaten about the head and shoulders until I grasped that in a situation like this, you aren't a quitter, you're smart! So far, no one at work has called me a quitter, either. In fact, I detect approval, sympathy, and/or envy.

Judy

That's kind of the default case, so Nick's right, by not answering you're in the category most people are in.

Judy

I meant to include a poll in my other thread. Sorry for the duplication. Anway, here's the poll:

Judy

I am so waiting and hoping they pi** me off to the point where I tell them "Take this job and ,,," etc. etc. Of course I will be retirng when I do, but I'm not really in a rush to do that. I also heard a great line once (true story, the guy worked for Ford). The favorite old hillbilly walked into the boss and said "I quit". Boss asked, "aren't you going to give us noticed". Hillbilly replied "I just did". Now that's the line I'm dieing to use. :rofl:

Dave

I briefly got hung up on the idea that I would somehow be seen as a quitter. I was thoroughly beaten about the head and shoulders until I grasped that in a situation like this, you aren't a quitter, you're smart!

Judy

You? A quitter? I would say for those that don't have the cajones to do something like that are the quitters. I've quit jobs in the past, and ate beans and tortillas for a couple months till I found something else. Right now? I'm a quitter because I put up with all the BS at work. Its one of them love/hate relationships. I love what I do, but I hate where I do it at. :rolleyes:

I think the trick is to take a paycut and leave before you feel like you're trapped... I worked for a company for over a year that was using the project that they gave me to run as a cash cow to keep the company afloat until they could sell it. I knew it was a bad situation within a couple months of taking the job - but taking a pay cut didn't seem like a possibility. I'd just gotten married, my wife was in grad school, and I was still a young idiot (I'm older now :)).

I put myself and my wife through a year of hell trying to prove that I wasn't going to let them get to me and wreck the project. It was a hopeless situation, but I didn't want to admit it at the time. I would have been a lot better off just taking a 50% pay cut and working on something that didn't have the travel, stress, and trouble looking in the mirror that were associated with that job.

Six years later, I'm still not earning what I did then - and I still haven't gotten that miserable in a job again, either.

--Cedric

Last edited:
I've quit jobs in the past, and ate beans and tortillas for a couple months till I found something else. :rolleyes:

You mean, you have to quit a job to eat beans and tortillas?! :dunno: That, and cream of mushroom soup is about all you'll find in my kitchen.:D

Barb

Can't remember how many jobs I've walked from. That's one of the things about being a captain of a boat, you have to be ready to walk off, especially in the oilfield. The stakes and liabilies are just too high to do things you know are wrong and very likely to lead to damage, injury and death, and all too often "The Office" makes those kinds of demands. Although I must say that has eased a bit over the last several years since they started sending management personelle to prison for manslaughter. When the risk to them was all civil and covered by insurance it was a bad deal. I thought it funny that the manager who tried to make me do something that I quit and was relieved over is still sitting in Angola since the guy who relieved me killed himself and 31 others doing it (jacking down a lift boat in 18' seas). The only survivor was my dechand who I couldn't get to leave the boat with me (he was young with a wife and two babies and needed the job, "I can't afford to quit") so I told him to be sure to be on the top of the cabin in his lifejacket and have a smoke flare with him when they jacked down. I had the crewboat driver wait (he wasn't pleased since we were getting bounced around pretty good), and on the third wave after he got the legs up, the boat went over with everyone inside except my DH. We called it in and picked up my man then headed for the beach when the USCG arrived.

That was one court case I somewhat perversly enjoyed testifying at.

Henning, you have some seriously amazing stories. I can't imagine a better illustration of good judgement on your part. It's just so tragic that others had to die because the manager wouldn't listen.

Chris

I've quit a couple jobs without another one lined up but that was when I was much younger. I took a 30-40% pay cut to go from my previous job, which I had for 11 years to my current one, but I made it up in 2-3 years. I figure I'm much better off than I would have been if I had stayed, in more ways than one.

I have never left a job without having another one to replace it with. The job I have now I took a 20% pay cut to get out of the hell hole I was in, that was 4 years ago this month. I am now making the same as I was when I left. My oldest son has left so many jobs with nothing lined up and has the O'well attitude. His last job he was making over $35K a year and left because his boss told him to go help out in another part of the factory. He said that job was not the one he was hired to do and walked out.:dunno:

That's kind of the default case, so Nick's right, by not answering you're in the category most people are in.

Judy
Judy, I have steadfastly refused to become a "leader" and do administrative jobs. I think "now why would I want to do that?"

Professor, Univ. of Illinos

100% paycut. New job is 24/7, and I never leave the office. I answer to 3 tyrannical female bosses. I drive a minivan. When the sh$t hits the fan, it hits me first.

I'm a stay-at-home dad, former financier in the energy biz back when it was still hot. Haven't looked back, either.

:wineglass:

I've told plenty of employers to sod off for various justifiable reasons.

Life is about having fun and enjoying what you're doing. If you don't wake up early every morning saying Life Is Good and can't wait to get the day going, you're screwing up.

I'm taking a little over a year off then going to A&P school because it's something I want to do. It's torquing a lot of people I know off, including family, but I'm not getting rich being horrifically miserable so I intend to enjoy what I'm doing from now on. After very careful thought and observation, self employment is the only way to go.

I've told plenty of employers to sod off for various justifiable reasons.

Life is about having fun and enjoying what you're doing. If you don't wake up early every morning saying Life Is Good and can't wait to get the day going, you're screwing up.

That's an excellent attitude and a good ROT, Frank. Something we should all remember.

I recently quit the job I had in one state to move to this one, and I am regretting it right now only because I am having an unusual amount of trouble finding a new job.

But that is the only reason. I couldn't be happier to be out of the old place. It would just be nice to have a steady income, because the lack of one has kept me grounded more than the Portland weather since October. :mad:

Interesting thoughts from everyone.

I've resigned from my share of jobs and always bounced back. Rarely, in my current field and area of the country, have I gone without a job in 24 hours. I'm lucky enough to make a few phone calls to let people know I'm available and generally only get a day or two off at most.

I must say, however, that if I wasn't married with social obligations (ie staying in one place and paying the mortgage while financing a retirement), I'd probably be a lot more like Henning. I'm no boat captain but I tended to wander the country and pick up odd stuff here and there. I can see having a good time doing some consulting, photography, maybe a little flying and woodworking once in a while. Possibly even write a book or two.

Alas, obligations take precedence, though, and people count on me to do what I'm doing...at least for now. I might as well stay where I'm at and make some decent money to finance the Stearman. :D

I was working for a company as an engineer. My supervisor (the "director" of engineering) was fired because he refused to sign away his contractual rights to share profits on a critical piece of technology that he'd helped develop. I was given his job when he was terminated. After being out of a job for a few months he filed for unemployment and the company sent an officer to tell blatent lies at a hearing regarding the unemployment compensation (things like he'd been drunk on the job and was abusive to those who worked for him). I quit a couple weeks after that, not wishing to work for anyone who operated that way. I went for about one year without much in the way of income while developing a new product for a competitor of the company I had quit and that eventuallyl paid off quite well.

The only reason I "regretted" quitting the job I previously had (Electricians Mate, USN) was not due to fiscal issues, &c; rather it was because I wasn't there to participate in all the world-changing historical events that have transpired since my separation from the Navy. Does that make sense?:dunno:

Jim

I've been fortunate not to have to leave a job until I had a better situation lined up. I did work for a large mainframe vendor once that when leaving I felt I was giving up a little prestige. The new job was came with more money and better hours (less OT) but less freedom and not "the vendor". I missed them both for a long time.
On the other hand, if you're leaving for a better job, be it position, status, money, better life, more family time, more free time, whatever it gives you that makes your life "better", then how can it be wrong. Even a cut in pay if your current lifestyle can stand it, is worth improving your life.

Fresh out of graduate school I turned down 6 job offers at major US corporations because I didn't want to be another cog in the machine. I joined a small high tech company and loved the can do, make it happen work attitude my co-workers lived and breathed. A few years later the founders of the company sell out and I'm suddenly working for that large corporation I didn't want, and it's one of the worst working environment large corporations at that. I waited until I got paid my portion of the company sale and then I walked nto my (new) boss's office and placed a bottle of Heitz "Martha's Vineyard" cabernet on his desk. He stared at the bottle for a few minutes and then said, "What's this?" I replied, "Well, something that expensive is either a Christmas present or a going away present. We both know it isn't Christmas, and you know you aren't going away."

Henning, you have some seriously amazing stories. I can't imagine a better illustration of good judgement on your part. It's just so tragic that others had to die because the manager wouldn't listen.

Chris

I litterally almost killed my relief Captain as he came aboard for being so stupid as to agree to do it. I didn't think they could find someone to jack the boat down in the outer bands of a hurricaine. We were perfectly safe sitting where we were, but the Company Man wanted to move so we could work on an inshore well as it was only a Cat I storm. I had advised him 36 hrs earlier that if he wanted to move, we needed to do it within 18 hrs because our stability letter and company ops spec requires we jack up and stay up in over 5' seas. When that time passed the seas built and we had to jack up higher and stay put. When He asked me to move, I said "Sorry, can't do", and he got ****y and called the office. The worst part that I noticed was that they allowed everyone else to stay inside (completely counter to USCG requirements of everyone but required wheelhouse personelle be outside and in a lifejacket when jacking down). I didn't feel bad for the idiot Captain who called me a "*****" or the company man who thought it was his boat, but they took 29 other guys who trusted them.

Last edited:
I walked nto my (new) boss's office and placed a bottle of Heitz "Martha's Vineyard" cabernet on his desk. He stared at the bottle for a few minutes and then said, "What's this?" I replied, "Well, something that expensive is either a Christmas present or a going away present. We both know it isn't Christmas, and you know you aren't going away."

ED, that is the classiest way I have ever heard of any one terminating their employment.

After very careful thought and observation, self employment is the only way to go.

I second that emotion..I have been self employed for over 15 years and would not have it another way.

You mean, you have to quit a job to eat beans and tortillas?! :dunno: That, and cream of mushroom soup is about all you'll find in my kitchen.:D

Barb

heheheheeee...

Well, when its all you can afford....

Now I eat it cause I like it. :) I usually cook up a pot of pintos twice a week, and homemade flour tortillas are to die for. I keep C of M in the cupboard, but I only use it when I cook up a roast or something beef. I seldom eat meat any more so its gathering dust.

One day the president of the company and the chief investor called me to the office and laid out a plan where we (mustly me) would make life a living h*** for my workers. The object was to get them to quit so there would be no unemployment to be paid to them. Then, after 3 months, the ones left would be let go and I would do the work of ten people.

I went to my office and phoned every recruiter I knew. One was a college placement officer where I had never gone to school who had sent me many students I had never hired. Within 3 hours he had me a job offer of twice my current salary which I didn't take. The next thing I did was write a glowing appraisal and letter of recommendation for each of my staff.

I did get another job the same day and rejoiced in walking in to the president's office the next day to say that I had just saved the company the cost of three of my people and put my resignation on her desk -- effective immediately.

No regrets.

I believe God has put me on earth to learn to forgive and I am grateful for all the opportunities that I have been provided to practice that skill.

Last edited:
One day the president of the company and the chief investor called me to the office and laid out a plan where we (mustly me) would make life a living h*** for my workers. The object was to get them to quit so there would be no unemployment to be paid to them. Then, after 3 months, the ones left would be let go and I would do the work of ten people.

Don't you just hate people like that...

Aunt Peggy,

You're my kind of woman. I would have done exactly what you did. Good for you.

I will be one of those lower-level workers, and it is a truth, however annoying, that faculty (especially tenured faculty, like me), can largely ignore what the upper administration is doing. Being dean is the ultimate middle management position--you get it from both sides.

When I was interviewing for this position, I told the people who would be under me that deans can choose to be umbrellas (protecting their people from the manure from above), funnels (you get the idea), or try to find a balance. I worked hard at trying to find the right balance, but was being put more and more into funnel mode. I think my folks thought I was a total funnel, but now I think they realize I was much more of an umbrella than they realized.

You have to be able to manage well both up and down because you never know which direction you're going to go. You don't want to alientate the people who are your peers. Although not everyone agreed with my decisions, for the most part, I had a lot of support from the folks who answered to me. So demoting myself to become one of their peers is going to put me into a group that is happy to have me. (My fellow deans are also supportive, but it wasn't enough with everything that has been going on.)

Besides, as you say, we were put on Earth to use our skills. Although I think I've been a good manager (and possibly better than good in some respects), I also have talent for teaching and research--that is, creating new knowledge in my field. I think those talents are greater, and I've been missing being able to exercise them.

Judy

The poll results are very interesting. Again more people who have been willing to give up money and status for happiness, but a lot of people feeling trapped. I hope this thread is inspirational for those who feel trapped, and allows at least some of you to get yourselves into a better place.

Judy

I was working for a company as an engineer. My supervisor (the "director" of engineering) was fired because he refused to sign away his contractual rights to share profits on a critical piece of technology that he'd helped develop.

I have never worked for a company that had not already required me to sign away those rights as a condition of employment. But they do give $150/disclosure and up to $10k/patent on a one time award.

Back