Tailwinds to Kissimmee <g>

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Heading out to Orlando tomorrow! Looks like excellent tail winds on the way. Not directly off the tail, but should give a good push. I normally true out between 210 and 220 at FL190 lean of peak. With a forty or fifty knot push up there, wonder if I can burn just a bit more gas and hit 300 knots!!

Guess I'll check in the A.M. and see. I'll be in N322KS. May have to put the petal to the metal a bit!!

Best,

Dave

showoff

have fun at SIMCOM (right?) Dave.

Hoping to catch leftovers of that wind on Friday at 13.5k to LAL. Should get 180kts on the GS in the IAR like I did last year.

Trip went well!

Had been cleared direct by Houston Center out over the Gulf direct to
Kissimmee from the Naw Orleans area; but, Jax Center ruined everything
and gave me Mariana and down the pan handle to the standard arrival.
Did get along the coast for a bit.

Closest I can to getting wet was when one of the guys knocked over his
drink last night when giving an extremely animated description of what
he did after losing an engine in the sim; inexcusable conduct!!<g>
Wasn't even Italian!!

I did take a pic of the Garmin showing over a 233 TAS <VBG> and with a
ground speed of about 270!!

Actually had that GS in my A-36 once with a TAS of 190.

Working hard; learning lots of good stuff!

Best,

Dave

On the way to KISM last month the Memphis Center controller handed me off with these instructions, "Don't let the next controller make you verify your destination by asking, 'Are you going to Kissimmee?'"

I did take a pic of the Garmin showing over a 233 TAS <VBG> and with a
ground speed of about 270!!

Actually had that GS in my A-36 once with a TAS of 190.
Ever notice you can't get a decent tailwind when you have to pay off the Hobbs? :rolleyes:

Dave, have a great time down there. It sounds like a great weekend to learn a lot and enjoy it.

On the way to KISM last month the Memphis Center controller handed me off with these instructions, "Don't let the next controller make you verify your destination by asking, 'Are you going to Kissimmee?'"

And what would you then reply, if asked? Did he suggest the appropriate answer? Did he say why he gave the advice?

Um, it was a joke. A bad one, I guess. :dunno:

ATC sometimes has a warped sense of humor as do I.

Dave, congrats on the 270 kts. In fact, according to FlighAware, you hit that speed at 12:48 at FL250:D

To what? I guess I don't understand the issue here. Is JAX Center a pain-in-the-butt about allowing people direct from the panhandle to central/south Florida?

Say it out loud, Troy...:D

Say it out loud, Troy...:D
LOL, at least someone gets it...

It took me about 5 seconds for it to sink in that he actually said that over an open frequency. My flying buddy couldn't understand why I was doubled up in the other seat. "What did he say??" I had to explain it to him too. :)

If it starts with a K I say yes! (Kiss-a-me-me is one way I've heard it pronounced--and a LOT of other ways)!!

Best,

Dave

Here's a pic of the panel just short of Hevvn intersection <g> Quite a place and fun to pass with a good tailwind!!

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• H-in front of 2KS 016 (Medium).jpg
    H-in front of 2KS 016 (Medium).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 32
Here's a pic of the panel just short of Hevvn intersection <g> Quite a place and fun to pass with a good tailwind!!

Best,

Dave
Impressive ground speed!

But, why were you 101 feet off your assigned altitude?!?!? I'd assume it was FL250? :D

Impressive ground speed!

But, why were you 101 feet off your assigned altitude?!?!? I'd assume it was FL250? :D

I wasn't off on the altimeter. The Garmin senses differently and often must be manually adjusted if you want accurate TAS. I don't adjust it each time I look at it unless I'm being very precise at that point.

Best,

Dave

Best,

Dave
Left engine's CHT is looking a bit warm. What's with that?

I wasn't off on the altimeter. The Garmin senses differently and often must be manually adjusted if you want accurate TAS. I don't adjust it each time I look at it unless I'm being very precise at that point.

Best,

Dave
Dave, what's the reference source on that display?

Left engine's CHT is looking a bit warm. What's with that?

That was while trying to exceed 233 knots TAS. I admit, I let it get up a bit (embarrassed grin).

Crazy that the POH calls for temps up to 460!!! Didn't leave it up there long. Can you believe, folks used to run it like the POH called for (and some still do and argue with me about it).

Best,

Dave

Dave, what's the reference source on that display?

IIRC, on Dave's plane the indicated altitude is pilot entered. If he has an airdata computer, that would supply that entry, but then he wouldn't have to enter anything to get TAS. It is also possible that the 430 will combine a user entered (or altimeter supplied) baro setting with the pressure altitude from an encoder to get indicated altitude if the 430 has that capability and Dave's is configured that way.

IIRC, on Dave's plane the indicated altitude is pilot entered.

Yep... But if it's like our 430, the entry that shows up by default is the GPS-derived altitude, I believe. This is often off by 100 feet or so in the non-WAAS units. I have yet to test the 430W, but I hope it's a bit more accurate! :hairraise:

It is GPS-derived altitude. Remember, in the flight levels, you are at 29.92 at all times, so you can very considerably in actual altitude while maintaining assigned pressure altitude with precision (which is the only way Dave knows how to fly, right?).

Back